Cap Between 43 And 46 Million Next Year

crazydoo

Don Meehan the very popular nhl players' agent, came to my class at McGill university today and said that the cap will be at 43 Million minimum and 46 maximum. He also explained that the players will make a push to have it at the lowest end of the fork. It seems weird, but he explained that there is an "escroc" (not sure how to spell it) costing the players a certain part of their salary when it his raised to high, which is sort of lke a tax, and he explained that a lower cap would keep the owners in line, reducing the probability of this extra "tax".

Let's say that we can look forward to a 43 M cap next year and that it will allow Montreal to make hopefully, some great moves.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Escrow I believe is the spelling.

And I believe that the players get all that money back as long as the NHL meets its estimated revenue levels.

But as for the cap amount I hope and believe Gainey will use it to make the Canadiens a better team next year.

Escrow I believe is the spelling.

And I believe that the players get all that money back as long as the NHL meets its estimated revenue levels.

But as for the cap amount I hope and believe Gainey will use it to make the Canadiens a better team next year.

Thanks for the correction, I just know they don't want to risk it.

Crap. Our advantage will be gone and the noose will loosen aorund teams like Tampa and Ottawa to resign their stars.

The Habs will still have an advantage.

Yeah, our young guns wil ahve an extra year of experience, hopefully a long playoff run and we'll have the space to sign free agents, and we'll even be able to trade and absorb some difference in salaries.

Yes the players want it on the lower part of the spectrum because when the teams spend more money ie., salary, then its harder for them to meet revenues. $3 Million dollars may not sound like much ($43 to $46) but when you multiple that by 30 teams thats $90,000,000. And the CBA is based on league wide revenues.

BUt all the analysts are saying that the cap should be around $42 Million so he doesn't seem to be out of line.

And having a higher cap does hurt Montreal. It hurts alot of teams. It gives teams more money to retain players that otherwise would have gone to free agency, and it also gives more money to free spending teams to over pay for certain players. If you want an example just look at the Washington Redskins. They were in danger of cutting players before they worked out the new CBA extension in the NFL. Then they went out and blew $31 Million on Antwan Randle El who will probably only be their 3rd wideout. This when everybody else thought he'd get maybe $20 Million, which was the very first offer he got from the Chicago Bears.

And make no mistake, there are teams out there that will overpay for players, even marginal ones. The Habs will likely have to wait for the initial free agency period passes, when everyone overpays for the best players, then look for the deals umongst the 2nd tier free agents.

So maybe there best bet will to look for a trade or two to upgrade there team which will mean losing players off the roster (messing with Chemistry) and giving up picks and prospects.

Yes the players want it on the lower part of the spectrum because when the teams spend more money ie., salary, then its harder for them to meet revenues. $3 Million dollars may not sound like much ($43 to $46) but when you multiple that by 30 teams thats $90,000,000. And the CBA is based on league wide revenues.

BUt all the analysts are saying that the cap should be around $42 Million so he doesn't seem to be out of line.

And having a higher cap does hurt Montreal. It hurts alot of teams. It gives teams more money to retain players that otherwise would have gone to free agency, and it also gives more money to free spending teams to over pay for certain players. If you want an example just look at the Washington Redskins. They were in danger of cutting players before they worked out the new CBA extension in the NFL. Then they went out and blew $31 Million on Antwan Randle El who will probably only be their 3rd wideout. This when everybody else thought he'd get maybe $20 Million, which was the very first offer he got from the Chicago Bears.

And make no mistake, there are teams out there that will overpay for players, even marginal ones. The Habs will likely have to wait for the initial free agency period passes, when everyone overpays for the best players, then look for the deals umongst the 2nd tier free agents.

So maybe there best bet will to look for a trade or two to upgrade there team which will mean losing players off the roster (messing with Chemistry) and giving up picks and prospects.

Yeah, but isn't there a maximum % of the cap that you can pay a player?, this would keep it relatively stable (although mediocre players could get too much for their value), and if the cap goes back down at some point, many players of nhl caliber might end up in the AHL (Mogilny)

Yeah, but isn't there a maximum % of the cap that you can pay a player?, this would keep it relatively stable (although mediocre players could get too much for their value), and if the cap goes back down at some point, many players of nhl caliber might end up in the AHL (Mogilny)

Yes but that value goes up as the cap goes up. And they only end up in the AHL if the clear waivers. If they don't, the team is stuck paying 50% of the salary.

The Habs lose their advantage. A 6M to 3M in cap room is MUCH better than 10M to 7M. e.g. a team like Tampa Bay will probably have enough to money to resign Richards AND upgrade in net.

the one advantage we have is that our key players are signed.

players like ribs and ryder will have to settle to what ever money BG will give them.

the only player who should get a good raise is huet

Maybe an addition or two on defense...maybe one or two of the following Mara, Mitchell, Jovanovski, Kubina, or Danny Markov if they don't., or haven't signed contract extentions with their current clubs.

Maybe Samsonov and David Legwand as forwards. I know Samsonov is hurt, and LEgwand has yet to reach his potential, but they could be decent additions and Legwand would be an upgrade over Ribeiro.

Deal Ribeiro, Zednik for picks or prospects, and cut loose Bulis, and Sundstrom. Give Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, and Higgins more ice time.

And a decision has to be made about the goaltending situation. Danis can't waste another year in Hamilton. It has to be known whether he can play in the NHL, so one of Huet or Aebischer has to go, or its time to move Danis and get something Montreal can use in return, or something that will help them in the future. Danis will end up like Garon.

Cap Between 43 And 46 Million Next Year, From Don Meehan's mouth

WOW! That's some mouth! :P:wacko::blink:

Edited by shortcat1

It's stupid.

It's good as it is now.

They install a lot of new things, and after that they stop it. I realy think that cap thing is a good thing, and if you make it higher again it doesnt work that good. You get the rich/poor teams diff. again.

Just like Grav&clutch hockey came back after a few months!

I thought they wanted something to happen with those new rules. They make themself look stupid!

If it works financiallyfor the nhl, it's all good with me.

What I don't understand is how some teams are loaded with talent but are well within the Caps means. The habs for some reason are OR were pushing the limit and not really icing a team with a lot of talent.

Now with Theo gone, we can fix that.......We have too many rookies, and no pure raw talent that shows up every night to be pushing the salary cap.

I'm sure Bob will fix that come next season........

If it works financiallyfor the nhl, it's all good with me.

What I don't understand is how some teams are loaded with talent but are well within the Caps means. The habs for some reason are OR were pushing the limit and not really icing a team with a lot of talent.

Now with Theo gone, we can fix that.......We have too many rookies, and no pure raw talent that shows up every night to be pushing the salary cap.

I'm sure Bob will fix that come next season........

I don't think he will be able to right away...he's got 11 players signed for 23.8 mil..We have to sign 12 more players, including out two goalies and leading scorer and a top centerman (whether its Ribs or not). Even if Gillette gives 40m, that only leaves 16m for 12 players, under my calculations we'll be at 36m, and still be missing a centerman to replace ribs. So that gives us 3m to sign a centerman for the top two lines. With that we'll have the same roster as this year except for a new centerman to replace ribs, and our payroll will be approaching 40m.

The following year, we are going to have to drop souray or rivet to make up for markov's expected raise just to stay on par with our payroll.

The key will be to sign our young players to long term deals (higgins, komi this summer, pleks next summer) so they don't see annual increases against our cap (since its the average that counts).

I don't think he will be able to right away...he's got 11 players signed for 23.8 mil..We have to sign 12 more players, including out two goalies and leading scorer and a top centerman (whether its Ribs or not). Even if Gillette gives 40m, that only leaves 16m for 12 players, under my calculations we'll be at 36m, and still be missing a centerman to replace ribs. So that gives us 3m to sign a centerman for the top two lines. With that we'll have the same roster as this year except for a new centerman to replace ribs, and our payroll will be approaching 40m.

Its not quite as bad as you make it out to be, since guys like Higgins, Huet, Komisarek, Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Bulis and Begin will not be getting substantial raises this offseason, i.e, less than $500,000. They (especially Komisarek, Higgins, and Perezhogin) will probably sign 3 year deals, inflating next years cap slightly due to averaging. Huet may get a $500,000 raise, but I'm not sure he'll get a long term contract based on this one year. And something will have to be done about the Danis, Huet, Aebischer logjam next year.

The guy who may make significantly more will be Ryder. Could get as much as a $1 Million more, and I would suspect would also be in line for a 3 year deal, and considering its averaged, will count even more towards next years cap.

But I would say the Canadiens have as much as $6 million under the $43 Million to work with and considering they'd have to move some people (trades), or not sign some of their UFA or group 3's, to make room for free agents, maybe a bit more.

the one advantage we have is that our key players are signed.

players like ribs and ryder will have to settle to what ever money BG will give them.

the only player who should get a good raise is huet

Ryder is one goal away from matching last season's total, so it's safe to say he'll have a career season. His assists are down, so he's projected to be down around 9 points overall. Ribeiro is projected to toal around 11 points less this season We all know hes played less inspired hockey for parts of this season, however Ryder has been fairly consistent on offence. I'll predict that Ryder will get a bigger contract than Ribeiro in the offseason.

Yeah, but Ryder hasn't really inspired anyone either with his play. I mean the guy can put the puck in the net, which is why we've got him..but its a stretch to call him a firstliner by any means, which is why he'll probably be in the 1.5mil range.

The following year, we are going to have to drop souray or rivet to make up for markov's expected raise just to stay on par with our payroll.

The key will be to sign our young players to long term deals (higgins, komi this summer, pleks next summer) so they don't see annual increases against our cap (since its the average that counts).

I don't see why you think Gillette will push to be so far below the cap. Remember that the habs were throwing ~$50 mil pre-cap and I dont believe the team's revenue has gone down much if at all... we are now completely selling out whereas we were about 1000 under capacity last season and ticket prices havent really gone down.

I don't see why you think Gillette will push to be so far below the cap. Remember that the habs were throwing ~$50 mil pre-cap and I dont believe the team's revenue has gone down much if at all... we are now completely selling out whereas we were about 1000 under capacity last season and ticket prices havent really gone down.

I would like to add that canadian dollar is doing very well also!

If the cap is set at 43m, I expect Gainey to stay pat at 40m for the start of the season...and if it's at 46m, I don't expect Gainey to go higher than 42-maybe 43m...so which leaves about a maximum of 6-7 million to spend on improvements. So a minimum of 3m and a max of 7m is what probably should be expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if some owners play cautious again this summer as they want to see the fluctuation in the cap from season to season before they commit to anything big..If revenues take a slight dip next year, which isn't out of the question (improbable, though) the cap can go down a million or so.

Gillette told TSN during owners meetings earlier in the season that it didn't matter if the cap went up. He said the team could barely afford the current cap. We'll have to make due on a paltry 39 million bones.

Sorry, I don't have a link, just a good memory.