Going To Montreal Tomorrow

KoZed

I'm going on a short trip to Montreal tomorrow. Anyone has any good suggestions for restaurants/clubs downtown?

I'll be on a date, so I'm looking for something cool and popular, but not overcrowded and cliché. I also dont want to be in a lineup for hours.

Cheers is always a good place to go....

If not... there's always the Dollar Cinema

http://www.dollarcinema.ca/

Or maybe you could go to 3 Amigos! (Mexican Restaurant obviously)... it's somewhat busy though... but maybe not so bad on a Sunday.

If you hit the Paramount for a movie, they've got a small but fancy little bar right downstairs. I believe they also serve food... and you can sit by a window facing outside onto St. Catherines street... heh.

Could always go to Mount Royal if the weather is good.

Thanks, the Paramount thingy sounds cool I might try that one.

Excellent. Glad to be of service. My girlfriend enjoyed that, so hopefully it works well for you as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Next time you're in Montreal, especially with a girlfriend, you should try Zen (below the Omni Hotel on Sherbrooke West). It's a nice and elegant, but not uncomfortably fancy, Szechwan restaurant that serves all-you-can-eat food... à la carte. This place has nothing to do with the tradional, digusting, low quality all-you-can-eat places; the food is great, and always fresh. There's also a great variety of food, plenty for all people to enjoy.

Basically, they give you a menu, and you order whatever you want from it. They make a great hot & sour soup, some very great hunan dunplings, some of the best General Tao chicken I've had ever had, and perhaps my favorite there, the cripy duck. Nice pieces of crispy, delicious duck which come with some thin mu-shu pancakes which you can use to make rolls (they also give you a special sauce, and strips of some kind of vegetable). Simply delicious.

Other favorite restaurants of mine:

Gibby's: a truly great steakhouse in Old Montreal (a bit expensive, but so worth it)

Toyo: a Teppanyaki grill on De la Montagne, who also happen to serve some great sushi

Weinstein & Gavinos: very good Italian restaurant on Crescent if you're looking for a hip place

Antico Martini: great Italian restaurant if you're looking for relaxed, romantic atmosphere (their chef has a cooking show on television). However, it's not downtown, but close to where I live in NDG.

i'm in love with:

L'Orchidée de Chine. Fantastic fancy chinese restaurant. Better than Chrysantheme IMO

Moishe's: Expensive? Sure. A lot of old people? You bet. Best steak, pickles, and coldslaw you'll ever eat? I'm betting yes.

and I still must go to the Main whenever I am in town.

Basically, they give you a menu, and you order whatever you want from it. They make a great hot & sour soup, some very great hunan dunplings, some of the best General Tao chicken I've had ever had, and perhaps my favorite there, the cripy duck. Nice pieces of crispy, delicious duck which come with some thin mu-shu pancakes which you can use to make rolls (they also give you a special sauce, and strips of some kind of vegetable). Simply delicious.

You have no idea how hungry that just made me. Oh man, that sounds delicious.

One piece of advice about Zen: it's even better if you have 4 or more people. It's also a great place for a romantic dinner - I've brought dates there a few times in the past - but the more people at the table, the more variety of food you can try. Since everything is "à la carte", you don't get to try a little bit of everything by yourself since they prepare a serving of whatever you order.

So whenever I got there with just one other person, we always end up getting the same [delicious] thing: the trio that's too good to pass - general tao, hunan dumplings, and the oh-so crispy duck - and then I try something different every time.

However, with a group, everyone orders something different, and you get to taste a greater variety of foods. Damn it! Now I have to go Zen...

For dinner try the Scwartz's.. it's on Saint Laurent I believe, or at least close to. This place have the best smoke meat ever, plus it's not that expensive... it''s really worth it :)

Next time you're in Montreal, especially with a girlfriend, you should try Zen (below the Omni Hotel on Sherbrooke West). It's a nice and elegant, but not uncomfortably fancy, Szechwan restaurant that serves all-you-can-eat food... à la carte. This place has nothing to do with the tradional, digusting, low quality all-you-can-eat places; the food is great, and always fresh. There's also a great variety of food, plenty for all people to enjoy..

Is that near Mont-Royal St.? It rings a bell. I remember going to a small restaurant there 2 years ago. I loved it, small but cozy, and you have an à-la-carte choice where you chose your meals but get to pick what you put it in, like a buffet. I loved it.

I'm a huge Asian food lover, so I ended up in Chinatown but most of what you find is the same old generic asian meals. I can get that here. Hard to find something really "authentic".

Toyo sounds pretty cool, I think I actually passed in front when I was there. I'm probably going to try it next time I'm in town.

Schwartz I have to try, just because its Schwartz.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Really appreciate it. I'm food crazy. If my budget wasn't so tight, I'd just go restaurant-hopping all day long.

My favorite spot to eat when I visit Montreal in the nice-but-not-too-fancy category is Bombay Palace on Ste. Catherine St.

Very good Indian food ( I always get cocktail kebabs, tandoor chicken, and naan bread, washed down with Cheetah beer), and low prices for the quality of the food.

I envy those of you who live in Montreal... Id love to be there and go to Habs games at will but im stuck here in little ol' Frederiction. What really sucks is we used to have the Habs AHL team a while back and now its gone... that was the best part of this city.

:hlogo:

Thanks... but hot waitresses on a date is not exactly a good idea. :P

Nonsense! You've got to play her like Gainey with Aebi and Huet... keep them guessing. Create some competition. She starts to piss you off, you take a long stare at the waitress - she'll understand. B)

Nonsense! You've got to play her like Gainey with Aebi and Huet... keep them guessing. Create some competition. She starts to piss you off, you take a long stare at the waitress - she'll understand. B)

wow... it's like don juan is really on the board...

Guys guys guys guys... :nono:

you all Anglos are missing the best part of Montreal.

Of course Crescent and Ste-Catherine are great. But there is a WHOLE other part to MTL. :P

@ Koz - Asian cuisine, Thaï especially, the GREATEST I've had is right on the corner of Laurier and St-Laurent. Thaï Grill.

The second greatest I've had is on the next corner on Laurier again, Chao Praia.

both are à la carte only though. So the bill climbs fast, but the items are not so pricy.

Orchidée de Chine is good too, but not frikkin blasting experiences like these two are.

And believe me, cause I've tried a hundred of those.

As to "going out" places.

It all depends on where you wanna go :D If you ask Maca solely, he'll recommend "les Foufs" and then "la Belle Pro" right at the corner :P

I like the pubs on Crescent and surroundings (Bishops, etc)

I like the lounges on St-Laurent (too expensive though)

I like the Cafés on Mont-Royal

I like the pubs on Ontario (corner st denis - Cheval Blanc has frikkin good beer of the same name!)

I like the bars on St-Denis

etc.

I don't club a lot, I don't enjoy lineups.