Anyone Missing Bouillon?

CerebusClone

I keep hearing all the time how great and reliable Bouillon is, and that he is such an important player on this roster (some even hinted that he was the Habs best defenseman), but the truth is that his absence has had zero [negative] impact on the team. Bouillon is such an overrated player in Montreal; he's the guy you want to see suceeed, the underdog who has to work harder than anyone else because just to even stay in the lineup.

Although I do believe he makes for a great 7th defenseman, playing maybe 40-50 games a year to either replace injured players, give some rest to a rookie, or rest another guy before he gets exhausted, I don't believe Bouillon should be a top 6 regular. He's only effective when playing at 100%, and giving everything he has; over a 82 game-season, and especially in the playoffs, he just cannot keep up that kind of effort, and that is when the bigger guys will push around too easily (he already gets pushed around a little too easily as it is), and faster players will beat him 1-on-1, which is one of Bouillon`s only strengths.. when he's at 100%.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have a hate-on for Bouillon, or something against smaller players because your comments are very biased. The guy is a good dman. Yes, he's not a top 3 player, but he's very effective in the #4-6 role. Yes, he's under 6 feet tall, but he hits harder than any other defender on the team, and I don't know how you can comment on him being beat 1-on-1, as he's easily faster than Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Rivet and Simpson. I'd rate only Streit and Dandenault to be as fast or faster than Bouillon. He has good decision making capability with and without the puck. He can be out muscled if he's standing in front of the net with a much larger forward. But, when he can make use of his skating and upper body, he can handle opposing forwards quite well.

I have nothing against Bouillon or smaller defensemen, but unless we have a very strong group of defensemen in our top 4 (or even 5), I think it will be hard to get far with Bouillon as a regular. Everything people say is so great about Bouillon are just regular things you would expect from an average defenseman. If at least he was good offensively, like Rafalski, it would be a different situation, but his presence does not make this team better; he's just an "ok" defenseman who brings nothing great to the table.

As for the 1-on-1 thing, I said that since Bouillon has to work extra hard to even make the roster, which is the case right now, he's a guy who's very likely to get tired down the road (playoffs), especially with the tight schedule of this Olympic year. When (if) that happens, Bouillon will have a hard time keeping up, especially if we play Ottawa or Carolina.

I agree with Prime Minister Koivu, if Gainey acquires another good defesneman, Bouillon should be the one to pay, and become the team's 7th defenseman. He can still get a good 40-50 games that way, but at least he'll always be rested, and thus, much more effective.

I have nothing against Bouillon or smaller defensemen, but unless we have a very strong group of defensemen in our top 4 (or even 5), I think it will be hard to get far with Bouillon as a regular. Everything people say is so great about Bouillon are just regular things you would expect from an average defenseman. If at least he was good offensively, like Rafalski, it would be a different situation, but his presence does not make this team better; he's just an "ok" defenseman who brings nothing great to the table.

As for the 1-on-1 thing, I said that since Bouillon has to work extra hard to even make the roster, which is the case right now, he's a guy who's very likely to get tired down the road (playoffs), especially with the tight schedule of this Olympic year. When (if) that happens, Bouillon will have a hard time keeping up, especially if we play Ottawa or Carolina.

I agree with Prime Minister Koivu, if Gainey acquires another good defesneman, Bouillon should be the one to pay, and become the team's 7th defenseman. He can still get a good 40-50 games that way, but at least he'll always be rested, and thus, much more effective.

I totally miss Bouillon especially in light of last night's follies. I would rather see him in the lineup than Streit, Dandenault and at times Komisarek (recent play excepted). I would like to point out to effectively help a small speedy team the defenceman have to move the puck up ice. That is why we lose when Markov is not in the lineup. Although small he is tough and does move the puck up the ice.

Edited by Nilan25

Bouillon is such an overrated player in Montreal; he's the guy you want to see suceeed, the underdog who has to work harder than anyone else because just to even stay in the lineup.

What? Bouillon has been described by many analysts and TSN as the best bargain in the league.

I miss those crunching hits in our end. I don't know what you haters are talking about. I see more opponents feet in the air and faces crushed against the glass from the Cube then I do from Komi.

The Cube plays bigger then he is, and Komi plays smaller then he is. I'm not picking sides......I just think Montreal needs all the help on D we can get. With the current roster? Ya, I miss him

The Cube is consistently good. He always brings energy and makes very few errors in his own end. Pair that with the looks of surprise when he flattens guys 2x as big, and well, Bouillon is someone I'd like in the lineup every night.

Look at my avatar. If I miss anybody? it's him.......

What a dorky picture!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAA

He's going to score on Tuesday....

He's so.... greasy!

Alright, from a Habs team (not my personal likes/dislikes), I honestly don't think the Habs have missed him while he's been injured. I like Bouillon and admire how he plays. But the truth is, bargain or not, I haven't been watching games and thinking "oh my, if only Bouillon had been there..." Truth be told, on most teams, he is a capable 3rd pairing dman. Most NHL teams shouldn't skip a beat if they lose their 5/6 guy. If the Habs were feeling the impact of Bouillon not being in the lineup, then THAT would scare me.

Boo is awesome for a guy who looks like he's 6 inches shy of being a circus act(like me...short). He does give out bone crunching hits and I've even seen him drop his mitts a few times.He's not going to go with a Brashear but I'd bet you he'd go with Avery and someone else his size!

That's the thing too, how much is he going to ask for next season? His contract his up, and if his agent bases his evaluation on Dandeneault's contract, who isn't any better really, that means Bouillon might be asking for 1.5+ a year. At that price, he'd be far from a bargain.

That's the thing too, how much is he going to ask for next season? His contract his up, and if his agent bases his evaluation on Dandeneault's contract, who isn't any better really, that means Bouillon might be asking for 1.5+ a year. At that price, he'd be far from a bargain.

Well, I guess Gainey will have to cross that bridge when he gets to it.....Honestly, do you think Gainey is thinking about that right now.

Would you pay 1.5 million for this?

4iwpl7.jpg

Boo is awesome for a guy who looks like he's 6 inches shy of being a circus act(like me...short). He does give out bone crunching hits and I've even seen him drop his mitts a few times.He's not going to go with a Brashear but I'd bet you he'd go with Avery and someone else his size!

That's exactly my point. People keep saying that he's great... for his size. However, if he played exactly the same with a 6'4" frame, we would consider a marginal player, kinda like Peter Popovic was. Reliable, safe, but nothing more.

I don't hate Bouillon, he's an ok 6th/7th defenseman, but I just get tired of hearing how awesome he is, how his hits are bone crushing, and how he's so valuable to the team (I think it was on CKAC French radio, they were even comparing his absence to Markov's absence). The fact is that Simpson easily replaced him in the lineup. I'm also tired of watching him play on the powerplay even though he's been useless there all season long.

Edited by CerebusClone

Look at my avatar. If I miss anybody? it's him.......

What a dorky picture!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAA

He's going to score on Tuesday....

if someone the habs could do without its this guy ZED if i hate one player its him...and boullion is a great d and as great stickhandling...and contributes to the team wayyyyyyyyy more then Zednik...i hope koivu is going to score tomorow

GO HABS GO :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Bouillon reminds me of Don Sweeney from Bruins lore. Small physical D who had good mobility and could move the puck well even though he wasn't getting huge offensive stats.

Guys like that can be tough to play against for forwards. Low center of gravity, comes at you fast, hard to forecheck when on the go. Bouillon is a great asset to the team.

Bouillon reminds me of Don Sweeney from Bruins lore. Small physical D who had good mobility and could move the puck well even though he wasn't getting huge offensive stats.

Guys like that can be tough to play against for forwards. Low center of gravity, comes at you fast, hard to forecheck when on the go. Bouillon is a great asset to the team.

Well said. :hlogo:

He's only effective when playing at 100%, and giving everything he has; over a 82 game-season, and especially in the playoffs, he just cannot keep up that kind of effort, and that is when the bigger guys will push around too easily (he already gets pushed around a little too easily as it is), and faster players will beat him 1-on-1, which is one of Bouillon`s only strengths.. when he's at 100%.

This was my favourite part - where you took his excellent work ethic, and managed to use it as a point against him. Very creative.

Bouillon is a hard-working, blue collar player who is reliable defensively, with good mobility and puckhandling. Every successful team needs players like him. No one here has made him out to be a superstar. You seem to have the opinion that his strengths are fairly common... but they're not.

Definitly rather see him on the ice than Simpson or Streit. No need to rush him back right away though. Let him heal up properly, cause the next month is going to be a huge grind on everyone. No need to let something that shouldn't be a problem, become a problem and end up losing him for the playoffs

Edited by kaos

Definitly rather see him on the ice than Simpson or Streit. No need to rush him back right away though. Let him heal up properly, cause the next month is going to be a huge grind on everyone. No need to let something that shouldn't be a problem, become a problem and end up losing him for the playoffs

I just find it funny that when a guy goes down or sits out for a few games, and the team wins consecutively, everyone is quick to jump and say we really don't need that player. That's what happened to Theo and that conversation occurs regularly around here.

The Wings kept winning without Yzerman when he was gone most of the year, a few season's back, because of his knees. But I don't think once, that Detroit fans thought for a second to have an Yzerman-less team.

I'm not comparing Cube to Yzerman, but I bet if Saks is gone for 2-3 months and the team rolls out 60% wins, people would start saying the same for him.

I think we've taken the "team before player: mentality a tad too far. If a team gets rid of a player, support the team, if the player makes you choose, support the team, but don't discount a player's contribution just because the team is doing fine without him.

Let's show some player loyalty while they are on the team. Bouillon has done everything he could have been asked to do, he's a depth defensemen, an upper end of that calibre, but he is only at that calibre, so the team SHOULDN'T HAVE played worst without him. That being said, as it stands, our third pairing is significantly different (in play, in presence, etc) without him

Edited by GoHabs2002