Way To Go Ribs!

I'm not really sure what to expect from Ribs anymore. He has definitally changed his work habits and it is showing. Amazing night against Ottawa. I hope he keeps it up in the play-offs.

I wanted to start a thread in support of the man. Bring a little cheer and reward to his life when he reads this.

Nice work Ribs Keep it up. Tell Dags we say Hi!!!!!!! :lol: or Dags tell Ribs we said Hi!!!!! :huh:

No really....He's playing great...........

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Play-offs here we come!!!!!!!!!

That's the trouble. He plays great, then evaporates, etc.. Last season - hot and cold but basically fine; then come playoff time, he's a no-show (except for showboating in the worst possible way against the Prunes); then this season when we really need him to step up, he's vanished again...and now, a sustained run of good play.

What do you do? Keep this guy? If you're a coach/GM, do you really need these headaches?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I think that the dynamics on the dressing room have had the greatest impact on Ribs ... now that Jose and Dags are gone, he no longer has his clique to protect him from the general concensus.

I think that the dynamics on the dressing room have had the greatest impact on Ribs ... now that Jose and Dags are gone, he no longer has his clique to protect him from the general concensus.

..........and he has to answer to Kovalev! Probably the first time he is playing on a line with someone who has more natural talent than him.....I believe he is in the process of being humbled, and it is starting to show up in his unselfish play of late.

Ribs had it too easy in midget and juniors because of his talent, but he's also progressed whenever he hit a road block. He's got enough character to answer challenges, he's just a little stubborn at first. The end result is that he'll constantly improve, but only have lenghty plateau periods.

I think what we're seeing now is him going through one of those progress phase; but expect him to plateau again later, unless Gainey and Carbo find a way to keep him constantly motivated.

I agree .... He just has to keep improving ( meaning playing 100% ) every night! and not be afraid to get messy... and of course gain 3 pounds of muscle per year!

ANd most importantly... LEarn how to respect the leaders... of course I'm reffering to KOIVU!

This was easily the best full game performance I have seen from Mike Ribeiro in my entire life. I know he was one shy of his career best four points but come on. He screened Aebischer on the first goal and from there on with the help of Kovalev and Murray Ribs dominated; I was so proud of him and believed that he deserved a star over Chris Higgins.

But as mentioned earlier he needs to be motivated and I think Kovalev can be the guy to continuously push him

So here’s to Ribs and I hope he has a great playoffs.

This was easily the best full game performance I have seen from Mike Ribeiro in my entire life. I know he was one shy of his career best four points but come on. He screened Aebischer on the first goal and from there on with the help of Kovalev and Murray Ribs dominated; I was so proud of him and believed that he deserved a star over Chris Higgins.

But as mentioned earlier he needs to be motivated and I think Kovalev can be the guy to continuously push him

So here’s to Ribs and I hope he has a great playoffs.

I agree going to the net and doodling and putting a little magic show of hands alla Kovalev ... Gainey is a smart cookey pairing those two

Be nice if Kovalev and Ribeiro can get hot, and take some heat off the Koivu line.

THese guys are starting to look good together. Hopefully Bulis or Zednik can step up and be the left winger on the line, so they don't have that revolving winger thing happening.

Have to say, Bulis has looked pretty good so far.

I think Ribeiro will start to come around more consistently since Gainey broke up his trio of Dagenais and Theodore. Those guys were like a cancer to his work ethic...

I think this is the main factor. If Ribs is going to be part of this club for the longterm it will be because his attitude has changed.

I watched him on TSN last night and he was a different person.

Gainey's leadership is working.

Pairing Ribs with Kovy has done wonders for his work ethic. He's not as afraid to get his hands dirty, and should he and Kovy continue to develop chemistry, they will make a fearsome duo.

Edited by lazy26

Pairing Ribs with Kovy has done wonders for his work ethic. He's not as afraid to get his hands dirty, and should he and Kovy continue to develop chemistry, they will make a fearsome duo.

I agree. Perhaps Kovalev will recognize Ribeiro is playing better and be willing to share the puck more. In recent games, Kovalev seems to carry the puck too long, and cough it up at inopportune moments. Ribs is making better use of his linemates (two nice setups to Bulis in last 2 games), and it's time Kovalev does too.

If having a couple of buddies on the roster is all it takes for Ribeiro to lose focus, and start playing badly, then perhaps we don't want this guy on the team. It's the same thing again and again: Ribeiro offers several mediocre performances, then follows with a couple of great games, and people are back on the Ribeiro bandwagon. Besides, he's not even that great when he's on a hot streak. It's not like Jagr, or even Kovalev to a lesser degree, where these guys can dominate and take control of a game all by themselves when they are willing.

Also, Ribeiro is now 26 years old, and playing in his 6th NHL season; he's not a young prospect anymore. He's not gonna get much better, or get much more consistent. The fact that he has never learned what every coach has been telling him since he turned pro is a very bad sign.

If having a couple of buddies on the roster is all it takes for Ribeiro to lose focus, and start playing badly, then perhaps we don't want this guy on the team. It's the same thing again and again: Ribeiro offers several mediocre performances, then follows with a couple of great games, and people are back on the Ribeiro bandwagon. Besides, he's not even that great when he's on a hot streak. It's not like Jagr, or even Kovalev to a lesser degree, where these guys can dominate and take control of a game all by themselves when they are willing.

Also, Ribeiro is now 26 years old, and playing in his 6th NHL season; he's not a young prospect anymore. He's not gonna get much better, or get much more consistent. The fact that he has never learned what every coach has been telling him since he turned pro is a very bad sign.

I don't really see everyone jumping on the Ribero bandwagon per say. If there is any bandwagon it is a Gainey/Kovalev wagon where people are happy with their influence on Ribero.

Ribero is 26, he didn't play last year, so last time he played a full year was when he was 24. He now has a kid, has lost his childhoodbuddies/homeboys from the team, and is not having his last chance with the Habs. Hopefully he will respond, but you may be right. He may be a lost cause. But, the court is not out, ,and we should all hope for the best. Maybe he was just a late maturie.

I see your point. So to clear it up from my perspective I will again say, Ribs sucks. His attitude has improved but he is still Ribs. 4 points last night? Wow!!!! How fast can he be traded?

I see your point. So to clear it up from my perspective I will again say, Ribs sucks. His attitude has improved but he is still Ribs. 4 points last night? Wow!!!! How fast can he be traded?

I think Ribs has is fine. His supposed attitude is just that, supposed.

If you look at his numbers, he is a perfectly good 2nd line center in terms of production. Yes, he has had some weak periods, so has Koviu, so has every hockey player.

He gets a lot of heat for "dissapearing in the playoffs". Actually, he and Ryder worked their butts off in that first series and nothing went in. If you recall, Ryder was just as cool. It was also the first real playoff experience for either of them. Before I judge his playoff performance, I want to see how he does this year. Does he progress and improve? Time will tell.

I have a feeling the regardless of his performance, some people will always hate him, always want him traded. That is a shame. I myself think he has a ton of talent and with the kind of coaching he is getting now might turn out to be a really solid number 2 center. Until I see a better number two center being given to Montreal, I see no reason to dump Ribs.

He plays toooo soft. The 1st goal (I think) last night vs Ottawa.....he was right there, could have blocked the weak wrist shot from the point; what does he do? Lifts his leg, allowing the shot through, and partialy screening Abi. And later in the game 3rd period [i think], he gets hooked or slashed and he's just standing there looking around for the ref...........

If he plans on sticking around (next year) he needs to get in the weight room over the summer.......

I know he's not a physical type player, but stay on your feet, and get in the corners......

By the way, Ribs is 45th in production among centers in the nhl. In other words, right there in the middle of the number two centers. More concerning is that our number 1 center is only number 33. He needs to get on the first page!

By the way, Ribs is 45th in production among centers in the nhl. In other words, right there in the middle of the number two centers. More concerning is that our number 1 center is only number 33. He needs to get on the first page!

Well, Koivu had a major slump this year, by far the worst of his career. Until that slump, he was producing at about a point per game ratio (-/+ a point or 2), and was actually more productive that many start centers including Sundin, Richards, Modano, Sakic, and Lecavalier. Since he came out of slump, he's been producing at more than a point per game ratio, and is making Higgins look very good, and revived Ryder. Considering that it was an exceptional slump, as Koivu may never have had the wingers to be overly productive, but he was always playing very well and with great consistency, I'm willing to forgive him.

Ribeiro however has never, ever, proven to me that he can be reliable, and he has never shown a single once of consistency. He's constantly going through ups and ups, and pretty much always for the same reasons. Although he will give you the occasional great game, like he did last night, you just cannot count on him when it matters the most. This to me would be unacceptable for one of my top 6 forwards; you have to be able to count on your top players. In a crucial moment, I know I can send Koivu out there, not Ribeiro. I'd rather send a forth-line marginal player like Begin or Murray, or even a rookie like Plekanec or Higgins before I send Ribeiro.

Yes Ribeiro has a decent point production (although he's often been getting more ice-time than Koivu since he was paired with Kovalev, especially on the powerplay), but 3/4 of that is made up of garbage points that mean very little. Ribeiro's points are like saturated fat and empty calories: they look good now, but they'll hurt you eventually.

Well, Koivu had a major slump this year, by far the worst of his career. Until that slump, he was producing at about a point per game ratio (-/+ a point or 2), and was actually more productive that many start centers including Sundin, Richards, Modano, Sakic, and Lecavalier. Since he came out of slump, he's been producing at more than a point per game ratio, and is making Higgins look very good, and revived Ryder. Considering that it was an exceptional slump, as Koivu may never have had the wingers to be overly productive, but he was always playing very well and with great consistency, I'm willing to forgive him.

Ribeiro however has never, ever, proven to me that he can be reliable, and he has never shown a single once of consistency. He's constantly going through ups and ups, and pretty much always for the same reasons. Although he will give you the occasional great game, like he did last night, you just cannot count on him when it matters the most. This to me would be unacceptable for one of my top 6 forwards; you have to be able to count on your top players. In a crucial moment, I know I can send Koivu out there, not Ribeiro. I'd rather send a forth-line marginal player like Begin or Murray, or even a rookie like Plekanec or Higgins before I send Ribeiro.

Yes Ribeiro has a decent point production (although he's often been getting more ice-time than Koivu since he was paired with Kovalev, especially on the powerplay), but 3/4 of that is made up of garbage points that mean very little. Ribeiro's points are like saturated fat and empty calories: they look good now, but they'll hurt you eventually.

I'm just wondering what you mean when you say about Ribeiro's points that "3/4 of that is made up of garbage points that mean very little". 9 of his 15 goals and 17 of his 33 assists have come in Habs wins; that suggests that Ribeiro producing in fact means a lot to this team. Don't get me wrong - Ribeiro often frustrates me as much as the next guy - but it's completely unfair to say that his his production means "very little."

Edited by option+

option, interesting point as to Ribeiro's pt distribution. I would look at it a different way (and I do not know the answer) - How many of Ribeiro's come when the team is within 2 goals of the opposition? Now I imagine, due to the nature of hockey and particularly the recent history of the canadiens, almost all of everybody's points come in that scenario.

If Ribs' goals are coming in blowouts, then the win ratio point distribution argument loses merit.

Koivu gets far more PP time. He also gets the majority of 5-3 time.

Koivu goes up and down all the time, like most players. He is has also been very consistent in his point production over his career, and it is marginal for a number 1 center. Ribs has is not better then koivu. What I am saying is he is decent when compared to his peers... other 2nd line centers who make 25% of Koivu's money.

when has Ribs disappeared when it mattered? His first playoff experience? What about Ryder, he disappeared then too and frankly they were snake bit in that boston series. Earlier in the season when Koivu and Kovalev were out? Okay, well he was keyed in on by the opposition because we only had one line (I hear that excuse every time Koivu's line is not producing, but no one ever gives Ribs the benifit of the doubt).

i find the Ribs hate a bunch of BS. Is he a number one center? No, and we are not paying him for that.

By the way, Kovalev's production picked up after he was moved to play with Ribs. But apparently, you only give Koivu credit for Higgins. Perhaps Koivu's assists have more to do with playing with two hot wingers (Ryder and Higgins).

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about Koivu, I like Koivu! But it seems some of the Koivu lovers feel they have to be Ribs haters. I like them both, even though they play different styles. I do expect way more from Koivu then Ribs, because Koivu is our number one center and is being paid the most. He is not having a great year.