Rds Commentators

chief_balthor

Another example is the French media's commentary on the recent losses of Bouillon and Begin. Some poeple, at least the guys on CKAC, compared to loss of Bouillon to the loss of Markov. Yet, we're 9-1 since he's been out of the lineup. Now, I love Bouillon (as long as he gets a limited, bottom pairing role), and I'm sure we would still have had the great streak with him in the lineup, but the fact is that he's not that hard to replace. Streit and Simpson have done a great job at that.

Same for Begin. I love Begin; he's a great forth agitator, he brings a lot of energy, and he forms a great duo with Bonk on the penalty kill. However, losing his services is not the end of the world. Murray is a very similar player, he works very hard too, and he also brings some energy. As for killing penalties, there are ther guys, like Bulis, who can take over. Listening to some analysts, you would believe that Montreal had lost both Koivu and Kovalev, and that the team was doomed.

At least, as someone else mentionned, it is true that it goes both ways. Where the media can glorify ordinary francophone players, they can also be all over them when things go wrong. However, it takes a lot for them to go there, and usually, that player has to perform well under exceptations and for a long period of time. Also, as soon as he'll get one good game, he'll be a hero again.

To be honest, i love RDS. People may not agree with their commentators (the propping up of all the french players is definitely ridiculous and over the top) but before i got Bell Express Vu and RDS, i was able to watch just the saturday games and the odd game in the middle of the week. Every other game i would sit at my computer and listen to the radio. I didn't even get to watch Koivu's return to the lineup after his battle with cancer. To those of you who still have to put up with listening to delayed internet feeds, i feel for you, because listening to hockey on the radio pales in comparison to being able to watch it.

RDS gives us the chance to watch every single Habs game anywhere in Canada, how can you not like that? People may disagree with the commentators (personally i'd listen to Houde and Pednault ahead of almost all of the english announcers outside of Cuthbert) but that shouldn't stop you from watching. In my opinion, it's stupid for a few idiot commentators to deter you from enjoying the games.

i do agree with Quebecois that we can still watch the games on RDS. the commentators can be shit 80% of the time, we still have the game going for us. and for that, i am grateful. but i mourn the loss of the rights to the Habs games by Radio-Canada a few years back. last RDS rant - aside from bringing us the games, RDS is the TQS of sports television: flashy, ignorant, and arrogant. (how horrible is the intro to the game broadcasts??? they raped the CH's proud history with that awkward, amateurish crap.)

RDS blowes, they dont have a clue they put down the leading score on the team and this is only his second year. but ribs is god to them and he is nothing but a mouth piece. who well never play with the habs again after this year. GO RYDER.

I don't really mind the in-game commentary so much - except that they over-analyze plays sometimes - but more the fact that they tune out the microphones in the arena, and put more emphasis on the commentary. The result is that you don't feel the game/arena atmosphere at all since you can hardly hear the crowd, the hits, players hitting the posts, the players slapping the puck, or even the freakin' whistle. The same game on RDS (or Radio-Canada in the past) feels completely different on another channel (CBC, Sportsnet, ...), where on RDS it seems dull, but is actually quite lively.

but more the fact that they tune out the microphones in the arena, and put more emphasis on the commentary. The result is that you don't feel the game/arena atmosphere at all since you can hardly hear the crowd, the hits, players hitting the posts, the players slapping the puck, or even the freakin' whistle.

true. i've heard worst but as i was reading your post i immediately thought of the CBC coverage and the crowd *is* louder on their broadcasts.

Edited by lull

RDS believe that the '' medium '' is more important than the event,...that the coverage

is more important than the thing being covered.

This self-importance based marketing strategie gives RDS's conceptual idiots free reign to

over-produce a puffed up juvenile package that will in the end always drain away the essence and

distinctiveness of the events being covered.

'' Less is more '' is the opposite directive on which RDS opperate.....hence the mediocrity,..hence

the potentiel for a never ending list of specific grievances against them.

Edited by PB

He he he...

I don't watch it very often, but I decided to watch 110% tonight. In 2 minutes, they [Villeneuve and Bergeron] have knocked on Koivu, Gainey, Perezhogin, Komisarek (they're blaming him for Souray's horrible play on the Briere goal) and Kovalev. Of course, not a single word on Ribeiro, even though he has done nothing for a long time noe (except for one game last week in which he was great), and of course, they implied that Begin and Bouillon would have made the difference tonight.

I agree with somebody who mentioned that it's sad to always come back the language thing, but you can't help but feel that some people in the media have a huge bias towards francophone players (you could say the same for some people in the English media as well).

Oh, Bergeron just said Murray, Bonk, and Downey don't have enough skills for the NHL...

And now he's protecting Ribeiro, saying that it's Kovalev's fault if the line isn't producing, but that Ribeiro is doing nothing wrong...

Edited by CerebusClone

To be honest, i love RDS. People may not agree with their commentators (the propping up of all the french players is definitely ridiculous and over the top) but before i got Bell Express Vu and RDS, i was able to watch just the saturday games and the odd game in the middle of the week. Every other game i would sit at my computer and listen to the radio. I didn't even get to watch Koivu's return to the lineup after his battle with cancer. To those of you who still have to put up with listening to delayed internet feeds, i feel for you, because listening to hockey on the radio pales in comparison to being able to watch it.

RDS gives us the chance to watch every single Habs game anywhere in Canada, how can you not like that? People may disagree with the commentators (personally i'd listen to Houde and Pednault ahead of almost all of the english announcers outside of Cuthbert) but that shouldn't stop you from watching. In my opinion, it's stupid for a few idiot commentators to deter you from enjoying the games.

When they first took over the games, I was ecstatic. Every game all year long? Brilliance. However, since the beginning the language/ethnicity issue has grown. Pedneault used to be very much less the bigot that he is now. Go back and listen to some of the game tapes if you have any old ones recorded and you'll see what I mean. As for turning down the sound and ignoring the ridiculous commentary? Honestly, it's gone beyond that for me now. There are a few factors which have soured me on the game, but the language issue is, quite frankly, the worst.

Now, I'm not going to throw a blanket on habs fans and say that it's everyone, because of course it's not. I'm not even going to suggest that most fans are the problem, because I don't actually have any clue on the numbers. Even if it's a small minority, the fact that Montreal boasts such a massive following means that the minority is still a huge number of people. And when you consider that those who feel they are oppressed are always the loudest in speaking against said oppression... well you get the picture. I no longer get a thrill seeing the jersey, I no longer am pleased to see a game, in fact tonight I didn't even realize they played Buffalo until I was at a bar and happened to glance at the television, such is the depths to which my interest has dipped.

It doesn't matter what you say or where you say it when it comes to the Canadiens, language/ethnicity will *always* come into play, and that's just tiring. I'm so sick to death of politics and other crap being fed into sporting events. I stopped watching baseball and football a long, long time ago because of it, and hockey is just the last straggler I pay any attention to because I was so involved in the game. Worse yet, I can't even step away and become just a fan of the game because the game has lost all its lustre. Look at games in the late 80's and just try to compare them to today's bore-fests. Now, add in all the greed, the fact that it costs exorbidant amounts to go to a game, and the fact that all respect is gone, and I could barely care less if they Habs make the playoffs or not.

And sadly, it all boils down to the poor trodden upon French folk who feel they need to be equal - and in the process they ignore the fact that they go so far the other way it's painful. Again, I'm not trying to paint all the French that way, because it's assuredly not so - I love the Quebecois culture and people - just not the supidity that comes when the Habs are involved. And it's not just the wobegone French fans that piss me off, it's also the absolutely assinine English speaking fans who go completely the other way and disrespect the French.

No, hockey isn't a sport anymore: least of all in Montreal. It's all about politiking and I can't stand it anymore. That Gainey & Co. aren't letting themselves be influenced nearly as much as previous regimes is great, but don't kid yerselves, that issue crops up into every aspect of every decision they make. Already there are arguments about Carbo's assistants and the fact that they should all be French, or none should be French, or he should choose one of each, or, or, or. How about just the best person for the job? How about just the best players on the ice? How about NOT praising Ribeiro for what he just isn't capable of being. I'm sick to death of it all.

As to that last bit, I guess you could say that, for me, Ribeiro is that lightening rod that has ruined it all. As a hockey player he's decent enough. I could sit here and objectively analyze what he does and come up with the fact that he's a good enough player when he puts in the effort to make the Habs a better team if he's used properly. But the fact that Pedneault & Co. have deified him and have placed him on a pedestal and marked him as the French Hero... well therein lies the heart of the issue. If yer gonna have a hero, at least he has to be an actual hero, not a passably good player with a piss-poor attitude and a work ethic somewhat lower than a sloth.

Yet again, I miss the Nordiques. When they were around all those narrow minded commentators and sports writers had something else in hockey land to grind their axes on. Now, unfortunately, there is only the Canadiens.

My advice to anyone who is upset about these guys is to ignore it, and to remember there are plenty of idiots in the English media too. And all those idiots are too busy looking at their own navels, and trying to make as much noise (to seem important) at the same time. To quote Shakespear, "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"