Sergei Kostitsyn Playoff Performance

Peter Puck

Wonder what its going to cost Montreal to bring Emelin over? They will have to compensate his Russian team in some way. Hopefully they don't ask for millions like they are with Malkin...although thats pretty funny and looks good on Pittsburgh. I hate Pittsburgh

Guest Biff Malibu
I would say Sergei Kostitsyn is our Canadiens Prospect of the Year.

I would agree, after having the pleasure of watching him in London all season. Perhaps a little biased? hahaha. :D

Sergei has been a huge surprise for the Knights this season. You never know what you're going to get when a Euro is drafted, due to the fact that most of them, the good ones anyways, don't report. However, with Sergei's brother an hour and a half away it probably had a big impact on his decision. I've heard that they both went to a lot of each other's games.

Sergei is also involved in every aspect of the game; even-strength, powerplay and penalty kill. Generally Dale Hunter reserves the PK for specific players, so for Sergei to get some time killing penalties, it really shows the confidence that Coach Hunter has in him.

For some of Sergei's highlights from the season visit:

Knights Videos - Kostitsyn

Edited by simonus

I would say Sergei Kostitsyn is our Canadiens Prospect of the Year. Some would argue Latendresse I'm sure but that I would rank several othres ahead of him. Price also had a great season on a weak team.

Kostitsyn had a great year, so did Aubin getting more goals then points he had in any season, so did D'Agostini who led his team in scoring and was also great in the playoffs.

For me Price and Lats had similar seasons, both very inconsistent. They had their highs and lows. Price even said he felt he had a better season during his draft year, although Tri City was a weaker team this year.

If I had to pick a prospect of the year, I'd lean more towards Emelin. Remember he was playing in the top league outside the NHL and excelled to lead his team in scoring for defensemen, when he wasn't know for his offensive abilities. He also led the team in pims and was one of the top pims leaders in the RSL, as a 19 year old rookie.

O'Byrne would be another guy I'd consider cause I have seen a lot of him (and spoken with him and his coach) he made huge strides this year, and it was a breakout season for him. He did have some injury problems though, but the improvement in his game that doesn't show up on stat sheets was something to get excited over.

Either way we had several prospects enjoy great seasons so it's really a matter of opinion as to who each person likes. And if you want to get techincal, Habs pick from '97 Andrei Sidyakin had a career year in the RSL as one of the top goal scorers in the league. We will lose his rights this summer, but what a year he had leading his team Salavat in scoring and was among the top scorers in the RSL.

how much longer is emelin's contract in russia?

how does that affect transfer fees considering the lack of an agreement?

I don't know but I've asked around and will hopefully get an answer although info out of Russia can be shaky. He might have one more year but there's an interesting twist. The team he played for had major money problems this year, so perhaps they will be interested to release him if the price is right.

We paid 350K to CSKA for Kostitsyn but it was under the old system, which used to be based off where you were picked in the draft. With Kostitsyn being a high pick, it costs a lot. But now that there's no deal in place (which imo there will be a deal at some point in the near future, but we'll see) the price is whatever the RSL club wants to ask. I know that things will likely get very heated between Pitt and Metallurg, so this is why I think they will try and get a deal done now. Pitt needs Malkin badly and Metallurg wants to keep him of course, so it will beinteresting to see what happens.

If there's no deal I still think we could get one or both of Emelin and Grabovsky signed, the quesiton is at what price. Grabovsky was an All Star in the RSL this year, but I just found out that his 2 year contract with Dynamo is null and void for lack of payment. So he should be free to sign with us as far as I know.

From the gist of this new article from today [May 5], it sounds like Sergei Kostitsyn is going to fit in well wherever he plays for the Canadiens organization, whether it be in Long Beach, Hamilton, or preferably Montreal. He seems to have an easy going, joking kind of an attitude in the dressing room and during practices. That's a valuable intangible for blending in with a team, that should not be overlooked.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/20...565775-sun.html

This kid is looking better and better everytime I ear something about him. It would be unbelievable if he turns out to be better then his brother.

I can visualize the brothers on the wings of a good center in a few years.

Man, our depth at forwards is not even funny (Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn (2), Latendresse, Chipchura, Aubin, D'Agostini, etc.). We need to do something about that D now.