What Where Bob' Reasons For Using Aebisher ?

PB

Our chances to get a point tonight against Buffalo, wouldn't have been compromised in any way by using Huet

instead of Aebisher.

This game (with the right outcome) would have been the most celebrated moment of the season.....for the team as well as the fans.

Wouldn't have Huet deserved being part of such a special moment ?

I have problems in seeing any advantages or practicals reasons for using Aeby at this stage.....starting last

night,..specially last night.

I was asking myself the same question this morning. Huet has carried the load for the team over the second half of the season. His amazing play is one of the reasons that the Habs are even in contention for a playoff spot and I think that Bob should start him against NJ and, In'shallah, in the first round of the playoffs.

Aebischer has been better... or the Habs have played better in front of him over the last few games. Huet has gone in against quality opposition and lost in the last few games (he dropped that game against Buffalo a few days ago). Maybe Bob felt Huet was having a mini slump right now and with Aebischer starting to play much better, felt he was the goalie to go with. Not to take away from what Huet has done for the club in the second half of the season but I would've made the same call myself.

Be more concerned by short-handed goals in important games, especially after having killed off a huge 5-3.

Edited by ozhab

I was asking myself the same question this morning. Huet has carried the load for the team over the second half of the season. His amazing play is one of the reasons that the Habs are even in contention for a playoff spot and I think that Bob should start him against NJ and, In'shallah, in the first round of the playoffs.

It would be nothing short of pure insanity if he wasn't in goal against the devil or in there at the start of the

play-offs............yet, he should already have been in there against Buffalo.

Omg why blame the new guy? I think Aeisher played a pretty good game...granted he could have played better but still.....Just because we are in a rough position that is no reason to Point at players. It was Millers game and thats it. If any goalie stops 45 shots and the def blocks more than 10 what do you expect them to lose? When has that ever happened?

Ill agree he can play better but he did look sharp on several occasions. Leave the finger pointing to the leafs who are gonna be a whole different team next season.

Small remark....If Buffalo plays like that in the post season...they are definitely my pick for the east.

Instead of calling out names....think of this....Theodore Is definitely not struggling for a playoff spot.

Edited by geolink

Aebischer has been better... or the Habs have played better in front of him over the last few games. Huet has gone in against quality opposition and lost in the last few games (he dropped that game against Buffalo a few days ago). Maybe Bob felt Huet was having a mini slump right now and with Aebischer starting to play much better, felt he was the goalie to go with. Not to take away from what Huet has done for the club in the second half of the season but I would've made the same call myself.

Be more concerned by short-handed goals in important games, especially after having killed off a huge 5-3.

You are saying that Bob thought that our chances to win against Buffalo where greater with

Aebisher than with Huet......well for me it would be more than a good rationnal if this

was the case.......but I doubt it to be the reason why he used him,....I doubt it mostly because

I dont see Aebisher as being able to give us an added chance over what Huet is giving us.....and

thus I remain un-easy about the decision of using him under that special circumstance.

Edited by PB

You are saying that Bob thought that our chances to win against Buffalo where greater with

Aebisher than with Huet......well for me it would be more than a good rationnal if this

was the case.......but I doubt it to be the reason why he used him,.......

Knew this thread was coming. The goalie tandem system creates this sort of second guessing. But didn't Aebischer win his last four and Huet lost his last two? That's the reason for Gainey's choice.

Yes, here this board goes again, why is it always about the goalies. I'm guessing if the 3 players actually back checked on the short handed goal they wouldn't have scored, if Souray and Rivet knew how to cover people in there own zone the third goal wouldn't have went in. Leave the goalies alone. This team needs to learn how to win when the goalie isn't the first star of the game every night. That's when this team will be a reliable winner.

Aebi played well, but Huet should have been given the start. He was honoured before the game I believe for winning the Molson cup, and as mentioned earlier would be a chance to CLINCH a playoff spot for the team he has carried so far.

All I really wanna say is that Aebischer is damn lucky he stopped that penalty shot after throwing his stick. That would have been the end of him in Montreal, even though they still lost. At that point they still had a chance to tie the game.

The possibility exsists, however remote, that Gainey is showcasing Aebischer for the offseason in the hopes of trading him. This would be the ideal situation.

That loss was IN NO WAY Aebisher's fault. He played well, every bit as well as Huet generally does. So it makes no difference. I can't believe anyone's bringing it up, actually.

Gainey's official logic was that Buffalo hasn't seen Aebisher this season and he thought that might offer the Habs an edge. Seems sensible to me. People seem to forget that Abby is a legitimate NHL starter who has at least one stellar season under his belt - which is more, frankly, than Huet has.

However, I do agree that Huet should be in the pipes for the fatal game against NJ. You dance with the lady that brung ya, and Huet is the reason we're in a position to make the playoffs. (Indeed, is it inconceivable that he wanted Huet well-rested and hungry for that pivotal contest?)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Gainey simply needs both his goalies ready for the playoffs. Aebischer needed time to adjust to a new team, a new system, and his new defensemen, and I think he's adapted.

Huet will be the starter in the playoffs; his start against New Jersey in the final game of the season is a pretty good indication of that. However, if something was to happen to him, Gainey couldn't afford to have a rusty Aebischer as a backup.

Now, both goalies are ready...

Did anybody more than me hear the guy in the audience screaming "Aebisher you suck" before the penalty shot?

Then the way he saved the penalty shot.. It wasnt his fault we lost... it was our PP right after killing that 5on3... That shorthanded goal killed us totally. I think Souray was the guy who made the misstake there.

:lol:

Lots of reasons why Aby was given the start over Huet, only I dont beleive we have heard the actual reason yet. :P

IMO the reason why Gainey keeps giving Aby important starts that everyone thinks is insane because Huet should be playing in the most important games (which is ultimately correct). However, Huet is a UFA at the end of the season. Basically all Gainey is doing is playing mind games with Huet, by opting to go wih Aby. Huet is the best goalie going right now, and the way Gainey keeps playing Aby, Gainey is ultimately making it seem uncertain who the #1 goalie is, when its obvious its Huet. Gainey is showing Huet that he has no problems with Aby, and that Huet wont be able to demand some insanely huge contract in the off season because Huet is #1. Gainey is playing it like its a question of who will start in the playoffs, when there is no question at all. Habs fans are left looking for an answer to a question that doesnt exist. :hlogo:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Yes, here this board goes again, why is it always about the goalies. I'm guessing if the 3 players actually back checked on the short handed goal they wouldn't have scored, if Souray and Rivet knew how to cover people in there own zone the third goal wouldn't have went in. Leave the goalies alone. This team needs to learn how to win when the goalie isn't the first star of the game every night. That's when this team will be a reliable winner.

I agree,...but this thread was not about Aebisher's performances nor was it about a comparative evaluation of our goallys....... it was about Gainey's rationnals that lead him to make a choice against what most peoples would have perceived as being the most appropriate and HONORABLE choice for the circumstances.....and yes,....a saner one by extension.

Huet's outstanding and stable performances had bailed the whole team out of the deplorable fate they all

where destined to meet and yesterday's game had the potentiel to be the ultimate conclusion of his

unexpected and '' life saving '' contribution for the team........I believe that the commun response in the fan's mind was to see him in the net for that game..........I believe that his presence was not only deserved but that him actuallly being in the net would have given the players in front of him an additionnal emotionnal boost about turning this game into a CLINCHER and making possible such glorious moment to be shared with

the man that gave them the chance to be there in the first place.

This scenario had more EMOTIONAL potentiel and capitalizing on emotion is important when a team is

looking up to beat a better team than its own self.

Gainey's treatment of Huet lately is going to cost us this guy in the long run. He'll sign with someone else because Gainey is making it obvious that Huet is not number one. Huet will sign with someone who'll give him the number 1 job. I just hope that we don't end up rueing the day that we lost Huet.

- Jack

To me it is clear why Gainey used Aebisher on Saturday even though Huet probably would have given us a better chance to win. The way things are now we are going with Huet in our most improtant game of the season. I am sure Huet will start Tuesday.

If Huet had started Saturday and we had lost then we would be in real difficulty on Tuesday. We would have either had to go with Aebisher or come back with Huet after a loss. Neither is a good situation.

Now we will start Huet and his confidence is still high (as is the team's confidence in him). I think this was the right way to go although I agree we would have had a better chance Saturday with Huet than with Aebisher.

If we make it Huet will be our starting goalie until he shows he can't handle it.

I'm pretty sure Huet isnt going anywhere. If you were Huet, would you leave Montreal? I can only speculate that having 20K+ people chanting your name in unision would appeal to anyones vanity. :D

Not to mention the fact that he is French, so he probably isnt to fond of the idea of living in the USA. If anywhere in North America would make Huet feel at home, its Montreal. ;)

Gainey is only doing it so that Huet cant demand a 3-5 mil/season contract. I'm pretty sure the chance of Huet leaving is slim to none.

Gainey is only doing it so that Huet cant demand a 3-5 mil/season contract. I'm pretty sure the chance of Huet leaving is slim to none.

I think Huet will walk if he gets an offer that is for significantly more money from another team...he'd be a fool not to. Having fans chant your name doesn't pay your bills.

Now we will start Huet and his confidence is still high (as is the team's confidence in him). I think this was the right way to go although I agree we would have had a better chance Saturday with Huet than with Aebisher.

Is his confidence that high? The team needs a single point to clinch 7th, and the guy who, by popular opinion, saved the team's playoff hopes and ran the incumbent out of town is on the bench? Just how is that reaffirming the coach's confidence in his goalie?

I'll agree that Aebi didn't cost the team the game last night, and the fact that he stepped up on the penalty shot should speak volumes to the guys in the room. But still I would have went with Huet against Buffalo and against New Jersey on Tuesday.

If Huet had started Saturday and we had lost then we would be in real difficulty on Tuesday. We would have either had to go with Aebisher or come back with Huet after a loss. Neither is a good situation.

Well, the team did lose on Saturday and we are in real difficulty right now. Montreal's position could depend more on how Washington plays than on they themselves play. They could determine whether or not Montreal makes the playoffs at all.

Is it possible that Gainey is so confident in the Habs making the playoffs that he played Aebischer to rest Huet? Or to get AB some time against a top-tier team in preparation for the playoffs?

AB has played in the playoffs before, and while I'd love to see Huet lead out team to the 16W, AB may be the smart choice.

...Assuming we make it to the POs...

Not to mention the fact that he is French, so he probably isnt to fond of the idea of living in the USA. If anywhere in North America would make Huet feel at home, its Montreal. ;)

Huet probably understands English much better than the Quebec patois "French". When I lived in France, they sometimes used subtitles when they were interviewing Quebecers because they can't understand almost half of what they are saying. They get used to it eventually, but it takes a little while :P

As for Gainey's decision:

1- He wants and needs both his goalies in top shape for the playoffs

2- He needs the best possible evalaution of their future potential because the free agent season

3- He's still unsure about Huet, and needs to decide on how much he's willing to offer him

4- With all that in mind, the fact that he has Danis ready for NHL backup duties, and that Halak needs full time #1 duties at the AHL level, he must decide which of Huet/Aebischer he wants to keep.

Who knows. I'm not worried because Bob knows what he's doing. I mean, criticize as we may but with all due respect (I'm gonna get some angry responses to this I bet), Bob has more hockey knowledge about the Canadiens and what they need and has more hockey knowledge in his baby finger than all of us have combined.

Maybe he didn't want to expose Huet to Buffalo...who knows.