Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Carolina | 04/22/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ovechkin

+1 Knocks the Thrashers out of the playoffs to help Montreal into the playoffs

+2 Predicts the Canadiens as the best team to upset in the first round.

How sweet would it have been if the Habs and Caps swapped 2004 1st rounders instead of 2001.

Wow that would have been amazing!

Does anyone think that Ovechkin perhaps likes the Habs and in four years time he may look forward to signing with us?

:hlogo:

Does anyone think that Ovechkin perhaps likes the Habs and in four years time he may look forward to signing with us?

:hlogo:

Ovechkin, Crosby, Lecavier, StLouis, Richard, Luongo, Fernandez....

Why wouldn't they want to be habs? Best team in hockey. Fact. Let the banners do the talking.

But the problem will be finding a spot for them.

I've never been so confident of winning ever since they confirmed that Cole will not be playing in the 1st round :D

This guy is a Habs killer. Without him, the Canes are a completely different team.

I'm not scared of them, I even think that we can eliminate them in 5 or 6. During the season, they never faced the real Habs. Theo played 3 games and sucked big time and Aebi played the other. Markov missed 3 of the 4 games and Kovalev 2 of the 4 games. These 2 players are our best players at their respective positions. Also, Kovalev is a different player in the playoffs and intends on maintening is streak of never being eliminated in the 1st round.

On top of it, how encouraged will the Canes be by their "big" "noisy" crowd of 10,000 fans :D

RDS woundered around in Raleigh yesterday and asked a bunch of people who the Canes were playing against and most couldn't even name the Habs. And for the ones that could, they couldn't name 2 players from the Habs. That town is a joke for hockey!!!

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

On top of it, how encouraged will the Canes be by their "big" "noisy" crowd of 10,000 fans :D

RDS woundered around in Raleigh yesterday and asked a bunch of people who the Canes were playing against and most couldn't even name the Habs. And for the ones that could, they couldn't name 2 players from the Habs. That town is a joke for hockey!!!

I just ventured over to Ticketmaster and if I were in Carolina tonight I could have bought a ticket in the lower bowl! And to top it all off, it has an option for Canadian will call, so I guess they're expecting alot of Habs fans tonight...

Why did Gary Bettman decide to move and start in franchises in the South, where noone cares about hockey?

Go Habs Go!!!

The thing with American sports fans is they can really get behind a sport's team, any sport's team, and it'll sound like they know what they are doing. The NHL is a big league sport in the US, just doesn't have the consistent big league following nationwide, but when the playoffs are around it's an immensely different story.

Team/arena personnel know how to pump up the crowd and even though they may not prefer hockey or the Canes over another sport or league, the crowd will be electric just because it's a sport and they want a winning team.

Anyone saw Nashville last night? The crowd was crazy.

It's definitely a different atmosphere than in a Canadian arena, but it's still an outstanding atmosphere to play in.

_ _ _ _ _

Why did Gary Bettman decide to move and start in franchises in the South, where noone cares about hockey?

So it would improve the sport's position in the country. It would be hard to sell the sport to a TV network or sponsor if most of the league was in the Northeast region. I don't mind them expanding to where they went (even though I wouldn't mind some adjustments, either) I just don't like the fact that they pushed expansion.

Anyway, boys, let's show those hicks some good old Canadien ass-whippin' tonight. Come out hitting, come out blocking, come out shooting and for Habs' Sake come out WINNING!!!

OLÉÉÉ, OLÉ, OLÉ, OLÉÉÉ

If I were Gainey, I'd swing a little change in the roster,

Higgins Koivu, Zednik (huge playoff performer)

Ryder, Ribeiro, Kovelov (ryder could benefit from two good passers)

Downey Bulis Perezhogin (Downey provides the muscle, Bulis, Perezhogin provides the speed)

Plekanec, Bonk, Murray (straight up against the Staal line, Murray follows him like a shadow!)

Koivu and Zednik can reignite their playoff magic with a guy finally capable of coming out of the corner with the Puck.

Kovy and Ribs can finally have a player who doesn't have to carry the puck just move it around once in the offensive zone. Ryder can not worry about having to bring the puck in the zone (which he does horribly) and can focus on going into scoring position for a pass from Kovy or Ribs. Canes pay attention to him, allowing Kovy to walk out and shoot. Double threat.

Bulis is sound two-ways, Perezhogin is a speedy spark plug and Downey, I beleive, can come up big during moments in the game with momentum-affecting checks and random scoring chances. Bring Kovelov/Pleks/Murray on this line from time to time.

Bonk is a bit slow footed but if he keeps his composure he's smart in the defensive zone and may be able to turn it up a gear to cause a penalty from a surprised defender. Murray has to do to Staal what Begin did to Ovechkin, shadow him, get into his face and take him off his game. We did it to Thornton for two years, it' Staal's turn.

on the PP: I would try Kovy on the point for the first unit, with Markov and Koivu, Zednik Higgins up front.

The second unit would have Ribs, Bulis, Ryder with Kovy and Markov, with Rivet coming in to replace Kovy at time. Also, I'd consider putting Murray or Downy if front at times just to block the view of Gerber.

BIG GAME TONIGHT, BOYS

Playoff experience coaching staff vs. Not so much for Canes

Proven playoff performing forwards vs. Not so much for Canes

Edited by GoHabs2002

Downey Bulis Perezhogin (Downey provides the muscle, Bulis, Perezhogin provides the speed)

Plekanec, Bonk, Murray (straight up against the Staal line, Murray follows him like a shadow!)

Koivu and Zednik can reignite their playoff magic with a guy finally capable of coming out of the corner with the Puck.

Kovy and Ribs can finally have a player who doesn't have to carry the puck just move it around once in the offensive zone. Ryder can not worry about having to bring the puck in the zone (which he does horribly) and can focus on going into scoring position for a pass from Kovy or Ribs. Canes pay attention to him, allowing Kovy to walk out and shoot. Double threat.

Bulis is sound two-ways, Perezhogin is a speedy spark plug and Downey, I beleive, can come up big during moments in the game with momentum-affecting checks and random scoring chances. Bring Kovelov/Pleks/Murray on this line from time to time.

Bonk is a bit slow footed but if he keeps his composure he's smart in the defensive zone and may be able to turn it up a gear to cause a penalty from a surprised defender. Murray has to do to Staal what Begin did to Ovechkin, shadow him, get into his face and take him off his game. We did it to Thornton for two years, it' Staal's turn.

on the PP: I would try Kovy on the point for the first unit, with Markov and Koivu, Zednik Higgins up front.

The second unit would have Ribs, Bulis, Ryder with Kovy and Markov, with Rivet coming in to replace Kovy at time. Also, I'd consider putting Murray or Downy if front at times just to block the view of Gerber.

BIG GAME TONIGHT, BOYS

I like your forward lines... Especially if Ryder is still feeling a bit ill...

Edited by lazy26

Go HABS Go!!! :hlogo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163489&hubname=nhl

MONTREAL (CP) - Whatever you do, don't mention the word "underdog" to Montreal Canadiens winger Alex Kovalev.

"God, I hate that word," Kovalev said Friday just before boarding a flight for Raleigh, N.C.

"I don't feel we're a worse team than they are. If we play better than they do, then they become the underdogs."

Hehe, he rules. Thats positivity for you.

Let's get a big win tonight!!!!

8 hours til game time!

I was looking all over the past week for this and here are the CBC team working the Habs-Canes series:

Play by Play: Jim Hughson

Commentator: Harry Neale

Reporter: Scott Oake

Why the heck do we get Neale??? Probably because each game is a National telecast and CBC wants a recognizable face for any Leaf fans who might by chance watch games? I'm dissappointed about that.

But Hughson is good. I don't mind him at all.

Listening to Bob Cole last night though, he can control and present the pace of the game like few people in the game. McGuire tries to create a pace by his MONSTER declarations, but Cole can really make a great game even greater!

I was very impressed by him last night...good to see what he can do with a Neale/Leafs presence.

BIG GAME TONIGHT, BOYS

I agree with almost all of your lines, although I am not sure about Downey on the 3rd line, I'd still keep him on the fourth. However, If you want muscle on the 3rd, I would swap Downey with Murray and if Plekanec shows he wants to step it up, maybe you could swap downey (from 3rd line) with Plekanec.

Go HABS Go!!! :hlogo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163489&hubname=nhl

Hehe, he rules. Thats positivity for you.

Let's get a big win tonight!!!!

8 hours til game time!

Kovy has such a quiet leadership presence it's amazing. He never sounds to cocky or depressed. He knows how to make a media scrum sound basic and unimportant. He's confident in himself and his team and he won't let anyone take a shot at his team, teammates or himself. Watch how he stands up for players on the ice. I never thought he was that kind of player.

I agree with almost all of your lines, although I am not sure about Downey on the 3rd line, I'd still keep him on the fourth. However, If you want muscle on the 3rd, I would swap Downey with Murray and if Plekanec shows he wants to step it up, maybe you could swap downey (from 3rd line) with Plekanec.

The reason I set it up like this was to have 1 set defensive line to combat Staal. I don't think Downey would help in that regard.

From TSN:

Finally, the Hurricanes will be missing winger Erik Cole, who broke his neck on March 4 and hasn't been back since. His regular centre Eric Staal is a minus-14 since Cole went down, and winger Cory Stillman is a minus-13 since that date.

Those are some encouraging numbers!

GO HABS GO!!!

love the idea of putting zed back up front and love the idea of putting ryder with ribeiro and kovy

It is going to be a very tough series, but if the boys play with confidence in front of Huet, with good team D, and a good aggressive (keep that 3rd guy high) forecheck, it is a series that can be won. The first 5-10 minutes will be crucial.

Just my .02.

sorry if this is a repeat, but has everyone seen the welcome page @ canadiens.com? A nice change for the playoffs.

Go Habs Go

I bet Streit and Aebischer have filled the boys in on Gerber and his weak spots. Hope we fill the net.

My boy and I put the jerseys on this morning and at 19 months he points to our logos and says GO! Also his first 2 syllable word HU-ET!! Say Saku Koivu and he replys, Puck, Net. Ask him if we will win the cup he will shake his head yes. Anyone out there needing help in training future fans just ask. Oh, and when asked about his Ma's Sens. BOOOOO!!!

Loving it!!

Like GoHabs2002 said, I like the idea of putting Zednik and Koivu together. I hope Higgins can continue to do the job. If not, it won't take long before we see Kovalev on that line. I'm scared that we won't be able to buy goals!! Come on Habs!

Does Eric Cole have any chance of getting back in the lineup in this serie?

Like GoHabs2002 said, I like the idea of putting Zednik and Koivu together. I hope Higgins can continue to do the job. If not, it won't take long before we see Kovalev on that line. I'm scared that we won't be able to buy goals!! Come on Habs!

Maybe this will make you feel better?

The Canes have the worst GA (3.15/g) of all playoff teams (19th overall).

MTL is 2.98/g, this with Theo for most of the season...