Game Thread | Canadiens Vs. Hurricanes | 04/24/06

Spider-Man NL

a few points- damn never thought id say this but boy did we miss Souray- I hope those idiotic RDS announcers will now get off Ryder's case- what is the point of playing overtime after overtime- its not the best team wins but the player with the most stamina- I say after one period let's have a shootout-remember we are the only team to have won 2 games on the road in the playoffs- I think I see Huet with a shutout in one of the next 2 games if not both

a few more points wasnt Kovalev awesome- that move where he does a Savardian spinnerama and almost scores reminded me of Sydney Crosby-I decided to watch the overtime on the CBC- I swear to god Harry neale was about to cry he was whispering after Montreal scored the winner- This was a real gutsy win

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Habsworld is global.... I'm in Antigua, and as soon as Ryder scored, my bro called me from Edmonton.

Korea, Australia, the Caribbean.... we're all together.

Go Habs Go!

Don't forget the Czech Republic (a nod to Tommy).

To tell you the truth, I'm more relieved than happy. Carolina was only in this game because the Habs let them into the game. They almost blew it. But it feels good being up 2-0.

what is the point of playing overtime after overtime- its not the best team wins but the player with the most stamina- I say after one period let's have a shootout-

Sorry but i couldn't disagree more. There is very limited team aspect to thge shootout, the best way to decide a game is continuous OT in the playoffs. In fact, i'd argue that there is nothing more exciting in all of sports.

wow!! I'm drained..going to bed and I'll havr the sweetest dreams.

I'll make sure to pray for sheldon's little boys :lol:

hope it's not too serious.

thanks for turning all my hair white in one evening :angry:

a few more points wasnt Kovalev awesome- that move where he does a Savardian spinnerama and almost scores reminded me of Sydney Crosby-I decided to watch the overtime on the CBC- I swear to god Harry neale was about to cry he was whispering after Montreal scored the winner- This was a real gutsy win

I agree... forget the 4 unanswered goals... we shone through with grit and determination tonight1

Sorry but i couldn't disagree more. There is very limited team aspect to thge shootout, the best way to decide a game is continuous OT in the playoffs. In fact, i'd argue that there is nothing more exciting in all of sports.

There is a limited team aspect when all the players are exhausted and can barely skate down the ice and start making all sorts of mental mistakes they would never make in the first 60 minutes. Lets face it these players are programmed for 60 minutes not 120 minutes

What a game!!!!

Sad I missed most of it, but was here for teh best part.

My girlfriend wanted breakfast.

Didn't understand what double OT meant.

I was there for most of it and then missed the clincher... :blink:

Glad to see the Habs put it away and head home 2-0 up.

WAY TO GO HABS!! :D

You're a better man than me.

I'd have quickly explained what double OT means and sent her to the kitchen for a bowl of cold cereal. :D

Poser. <_<

Poser. <_<

Have you ever tried to stare down an Italian girl before?

It's not fun, especially when there's the risk of flying objects... :P

Edited by ozhab

Have you ever tried to stare down an Italian girl before?

It's not fun, especially when there's the risk of flying objects... :P

I have... and broke it off for similar reasons! :D

To tell you the truth, I'm more relieved than happy. Carolina was only in this game because the Habs let them into the game. They almost blew it. But it feels good being up 2-0.

This reminds of the TB-MTL series.

No matter what we do, how much we came back, Tampa always seemed to score timely goals, ALWAYS!

Way to go Habs! Woooooooot!!!

Very happy for many reasons:

All four lines scored (rollin' the 4-line system to the full effect).

The two top lines score twice each.

Komisarek looked physically tough, and some solid stickwork at times.

Huet, though he let in a few goals, looked solid non-the-less.

Kovelev notched another one.

Ryder may be waking up just in time.

Bouillion looked good, bad penalty aside.

The whole team fought back against strong adversity.

... and Souret should be back soon.

Hopefully the home crowd will take them home a la 7th player in the stands style.

Posting late today....was stuck watching the game smack dab in the middle of LeafsLand, so I'll post a brief summary of my thoughts:

First period was amongst the best I've seen the Habs play.

Second period was hands-down the WORST I've seen them play

Third period: That tying goal was Gainey's fault. How do you not have two centers on the ice in that situation???

Overtime: YAHOO!!!!!

Wow! I wish I could have seen the game. The Games start at 4:30 Am UAE time. A delayed broadcast is not as good... I admit it, I peeked, I couldnt take the suspense. Great thread, it is really nice to read along while I listen. I' m really looking forward to Wed game because I dont work Thurs., so I can get up really early, listen to the game and go back to sleep for a few hours. :P :hlogo: :hockey: :hlogo:

what is the point of playing overtime after overtime- its not the best team wins but the player with the most stamina- I say after one period let's have a shootout

Are you serious? So the overtime wasn't exciting to you?

Stamina is part of hockey, even if you're playing 60 minutes. And it's not all about stamina - there was still a lot of creative play going on (Kovalev, Ribeiro... the usual suspects). There is no shootout that is nearly as entertaining as a game like last night. Shootouts are all about anticipation, and I find the event itself is anti-climatic (He shoots... he scores, or doesn't score. Over.) Overtime combines anticipation with on-ice drama as the play unfolds. There's nothing better.

A couple of things hit my mind when the Canes scored that tying goal...one is what's already been mentioned, only one center out there for the draw. Number 2, boy was Huet distracted by whomever the Canes player was at the top of his crease...he reached out to shove him, and that's when the pass went over to Stillman while he still had his trapper on the guy's back. He had no chance to get back for the shot.

Anyway, my heart has settled a little bit. I'm just happy the Habs pulled this one out. At the bar I was at last night, there were 3 games: Habs/Canes, Avs/Stars, and Marlins/Cubs on TVs right next to each other. (Yeah, I know, one's a baseball game). The common thread...each team was up 3-0 and blew the lead. (The Cubs scored 6 times in the bottom of the 8th when it was still 3-0).