Will The Canes Bench Gerber?

Peter Puck

Does Ward come in?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which game will the canes give up on Gerber and start Ward?

• Game 2: They need to get Gerber out now.
    • Game 3: Give Gerber one more chance
    • Game 4: Down 3-1 its time to shake the Canes up.
    • Game 5, Game 6 or Game 7
    • Never: Gerber will recover his form
    • Never: Dance with the one that brung ya - even if he can't stop the proverbial beachball.

edit: Whoops, I meant to say: Down 2-1 time to shake things up.

Anyone know how to edit a poll? :huh:

Gerber looked pretty bad last night. Possibly not as bad as Theo's last few games in Montreal but definitely not good. Their backup is 22 year old Cam Ward who has played 28 career NHL games with a goals against average of 3.68 and a save percentage of 88.2% (0.882)

Gerber had a great season but has been a little shakey of late. Still one bad game is only one bad game.

Will Carolina bench Gerber and start Ward?

Edited by Peter Puck

you cant abandon Gerber after a bad game (even though his last few regular season starts were sub-par).

Also, its not like he got a ton of support. If he screws the pooch again... you have to start thinking about it. Although I dont see him standing on his head, I think you can probably count on his doing much better next time... not Huet better, but better.

the guy deserves a second chance...he's the one who brought them there.

Ward's a good young goalie who as nothing to lose and gerber's 30 and needs a contract for next year...

so who's more nervous tomorow ??

bring on Martin-baby food gerber and let him lose it in front of his fans :lol:

Edited by marky_and_komi

The Canes got scored on 49 times in their last 12 games.

Mr Laviolette will start Gerber on monday. You can't look much further than that. As for who will get the start in goal on wednesday wait for the result of game 2.

Ward's a good young goalie who as nothing to lose and gerber's 30 and needs a contract for next year...

so who's more nervous tomorow ??

Dude, let us imagine a point at which ward would get called in? being some young guy who's brought in to save a play goalie debacle? You have almost no NHL experience and you realize this is what people will remember about you. Come up aces and your future is set (aka Giguere+), mess it up and you carry something of a stigma until you play your next series? I don't know... could screw with a guy's head.

I find it kind of ironic, in the 2002 playoffs Carolina had Weekes as their "hot starting goalie," but he ended up getting blitzed by the Habs and they replaced him with Arturs the Veteran. This time, their "starter" is getting blitzed again, but their backup is a kid, not a wily vet. Then you can even go further, as this time we have a veteran playoff goalie backup instead of a stopgap backup like we did in 2002. Interesting parallels...

Haha, poor old Stephane Fiset. It looks increasingly like the careers of Jocelyn Thibault and Felix Potvin, similarly once highly touted quebecois goalies, will end the same way. A shame really..

edit: Whoops, I meant to say: Down 2-1 time to shake things up.

How can they not? Gerber has 0 confidence. That guy looks like Theodore early this season out there.

I really hope they start him, but Laviolet can't be that stupid. Can he?

i could see them going either way... I guess Laviolette has to keep an eye on Gerber and see how his constitution his holding up. That being said, Cam Ward played very well and it might be the path of less resistance to let him keep going.