New Attitude

GoHabs2002

This team has a significantly obvious new attitude and outlook regarding their play and expectations.

If this was any other prior year, the players would be talking about the good things they did and how they did this and how they did that in Game 1.

But not this year.

Despite the media repeating how well Huet played, how up beat the Habs played, etc, every single interviewed player downplayed everything and stressed it was just one game and it is in the past.

That to me, is a significant development for this team and franchise. There are many factors for this:

- Gainey's indirect and now direct influence.

- The insertion of Carbo on the coaching staff

- Koivu having recent international success

- Kovelov always expecting to win and not accepting anything less

- Maturity of the key players

Other teams have veteran key players who can take the heat off of younger players to be the "guy" in terms of media relations and fan expectations, which can in turn increase the mental development of those younger players. In Montreal, however, we haven't had the regular veteran presence since 1996. Koivu, Rivet, Souray, Markov had to grow into that role without the cushion of the regular veterans. Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Ryder will have that veteran presence to cushion the transition and we will be better for it.

Now they have grown into it and I think the maturity is being shown right now. THey can see the big picture now.

This team doesn't get google-eyed with one win. Doesn't get frustrated with one lost. We have direction, we have purpose, we have expectations.

And because of that

WE HAVE A TEAM.

:hlogo:

Edited by GoHabs2002

I would like to add something to that, i think all the rookies, plus Komisarek and Ryder, Murray played well most of the year including game 1. When the rookies are out there, they don't make mistakes. They also kill penalties very well.

I knew things were getting better in a team sense, but what clinched it for me was Andrei Markov starting a scrum in Buffalo. I don't think I need to explain why.

I knew things were getting better in a team sense, but what clinched it for me was Andrei Markov starting a scrum in Buffalo. I don't think I need to explain why.

Umm, you do, please. :?- Many of us out here can't watch the games.

What did Markov do and why? I do remember a Toronto game about halfway through the season when he pushed a referee after some brutal calla (and got suspended), so Markov is not a stranger to emotional reactions. What happened with Buffalo?

I don't know if its the same situation, but what I remember the most and what is the defining moment of Markov's completed transition from up and coming player to established veteran player is during a game (I'm not sure which opponent), I think the oppenent went off-side or something with a few minutes left in a period, shoved a player and Souray came in to start shoving back.

It looked like Souray was about to start something serious, but Markov grabbed Souray and motioned to him to back off.

When I saw that, I roclaimed him a MONSTER player for the Montreal Canadiens. His leadership skills blossomed during the lockout.

Edited by GoHabs2002

Markov has been the team's best defenseman for a little while now, but he never really got the chance to prove it until this season - and of course until we let Brisebois go. He's not in anyone's shadow anymore, and is now playing up to his potential.

However, I do agree that he became an even better player during the lock-out, as he was a team leader both in the Russian elite league and during international competitions.

Umm, you do, please. :?- Many of us out here can't watch the games.

What did Markov do and why? I do remember a Toronto game about halfway through the season when he pushed a referee after some brutal calla (and got suspended), so Markov is not a stranger to emotional reactions. What happened with Buffalo?

Just the fact that Markov didn't tolerate J.P. Dumont taking a few whacks with his stick at Bonks legs while he was on the ice with the puck under him. It was how instant he responded with physicality's, it's part of the pack mentality the thread-starter was referring too. I know Markov's awesome, I've watched him since he's arrived, but he used to be quite an embellish-er. Physicality's used to be the last attribute you'd think of when thinking about Markov, now Aaron Downey he ain't, but at least you know if it gets tough he'll stay with the play and take or give his licks, no more diving and killing the play!

Both plays by Markov were great... pulling Souray away and taking a few swipes at Dumont after he had a few too many whacks to Bonks mid section!

As for the other points I completely agree Carbo and Gainey have done wonders already!

I second all these emotions, but let's remember - after those final three regular season losses, people were singing a different tune, including on this board, where plenty of 'what the hell is Gainey doing??' remarks spewed up. If the Habs lose the next four, the tone will likely be different.