Who Will Replace Saku?

Bacchus

Was wondering who the Canadiens might call up to replace Saku, especially if Begin isn't ready to return. I was thinking that Kostitsyn or Kyle Chipchura. Chipchura would be good because we have just lost two centers recently.

If we get Kostitsyn we would have to move someone like Higgins to Center which he hasn't been playing recently, presumably for a reason.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Downey, Ferland or a 7th Dman before any other young guys. Especially without Begin.

I can't see Downey really helping us out unless our intentions are to level the playing field with some punishing play. Also, a 7th D man leaves a huge hole in our offence. We would only have 3 full lines, and then we would have to throw in Dadenault up front every once in a while which would suck because he is a winger and he is playing well on D right now.

We would either have to make one of our current wingers a C or call one up. Because none of our centers aside from Koivu deserve a double shift.

With no Koivu, expect a hole in our offence. Do you see us having more than three lines without him? Chipchura's gonna step in, first NHL action, no problem? He'd be a 7 minute 4th liner, like all of the other guys waiting at this point. Perez hasn't seen PP time yet, you think Kost will automatically get inserted in over him? I understand your train of thought, but the Habs don't have the current weapons to replace Koivu. Guys who have already been stepping it up, need to do it more-so, guys like Bulis, Perez, Zednik, Ribs, Higgins, and Ryder. Those will be the only guys who will be able to make up for Koivus' absence.

Edited by mclusky

The Habs have already called up a boatload of players. I could see Plekanec moving between Ryder and Higgins, and Bonk playing with Zednik and Perezhogin. Murray could center a 4th line with Downey/Sundstrom.

Alas, we'll just have to wait and see what Gainey decides.

The one saving grace is we have tons of Centers playing on the wings. It will be interesting to see what Bob does, or if Begin gets back in to the line-up.

Eitherway, we need the next game to send a solid message to the Canes.

Personally, although I know it won't happen, I would insert Kostsitsyn in the lineup. We will need all the speed and natural skills we can get to beat Carolina, and Kostsityn could (hopefully) have an impact similar to Wolski's with Colorado. I don't think inserting a grinder will help the team at all.

As for the lines, I would move Plekanec to Koivu's spot, move Perezhogin on the Kovalev line, and use Kostsitsyn on a line with Bulis (center) and Zednik.

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder

Zednik-Bulis-Kostsitsyn (I really liked that line earlier this season)

Murray-Bonk-Sundstrom

My best guess however is that Bonk might replace Koivu on his line, while we insert a grinder line Downey on the 4th line. Gainey will propably want to keep his lines 2 and 3 intact.

It's more than just offence we lost with Koivu, we also lost smart positional play, leadership, and a passer. Chipchura could emulate it more than Kostitsyn ... but then again he may be too green. However he did do well for team Canada at the juniors ... so he could be helpful.

Well, if Begin is back then put him on the fourth line and move Bonk up to the first.... if not then id rather see Kosty in than Downey.

:hlogo:

Except Chipchura hasn't been called up yet. Would he make the trip in time to play at 100%? The other prospects are already in Montreal.

Which prospects are already in Montreal? What is the pool we can draw from?

Expect Downey in. Put him with sundstrom and murray. That line will also need to play against Williams a few shifts so a message can be sent. I'm not talking about anything stupid or taking him out, just roughing him up a bit. To me the high stick was an accident but a message still needs to be sent. Plus it will fire up the team.

Well, putting Bonk there doesn't screw up the rest of the lines, but I don't think it will help Higgins and Ryder. Higgins thrives with Koivu, they're like two kids playing tag, one's it and the other chases him in, their dual speed alone is the reason that line usually scores. Bonk doesn't have that.

Personally, although I know it won't happen, I would insert Kostsitsyn in the lineup. We will need all the speed and natural skills we can get to beat Carolina, and Kostsityn could (hopefully) have an impact similar to Wolski's with Colorado. I don't think inserting a grinder will help the team at all.

As for the lines, I would move Plekanec to Koivu's spot, move Perezhogin on the Kovalev line, and use Kostsitsyn on a line with Bulis (center) and Zednik.

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder

Zednik-Bulis-Kostsitsyn (I really liked that line earlier this season)

Murray-Bonk-Sundstrom

My best guess however is that Bonk might replace Koivu on his line, while we insert a grinder line Downey on the 4th line. Gainey will propably want to keep his lines 2 and 3 intact.

Brilliant thinking. Exactly what I'd like to see happen.

The Habs have already called up a boatload of players. I could see Plekanec moving between Ryder and Higgins, and Bonk playing with Zednik and Perezhogin. Murray could center a 4th line with Downey/Sundstrom.

Alas, we'll just have to wait and see what Gainey decides.

This seems like the best combination... Pleks and Higgins play well together, leave the 2nd line alone, and Bonk might do well with 2 fast wingers... The fourth line's mission will be to rough up J Williams and any other effin Cane that tries anything...

If either Bonk or Higgins centers one of the top two lines then I think we would have to change our style of play on that weekend and park a big butt in Ward's face and look for screens. I don't know if Ryder can handle that style of play since he relies on someone else working their butts off and then benefiting from a good pass and a hard shot.

Well, I agree that Kostytsin will likely be used if there is no Begin, so how bout these lines that I just made up

Bulis Ribeiro Kovalev

Perezhogin BOnk Zednik

Higgins Plekanek Kostytsin

Sundstrom Murray Ryder.

I can't figure this out, I'm glad I"m not bob right now, because for probably the first time this year I can't even form my opinion of what he should do. Good thing I trust them

I can't see Downey really helping us out unless our intentions are to level the playing field with some punishing play. Also, a 7th D man leaves a huge hole in our offence. We would only have 3 full lines, and then we would have to throw in Dadenault up front every once in a while which would suck because he is a winger and he is playing well on D right now.

We would either have to make one of our current wingers a C or call one up. Because none of our centers aside from Koivu deserve a double shift.

True about double shifts. But I suspect Bonk is the one who is going to shoulder most of this.

I guess we will see soon enough who it is. If it's meat and potatos :D go with Downey. If we want goals I say Kostitsyn.

One thing about Andrei that is often overlooked is he can agressively forecheck. Most might think that the language issues etc, will hold him back in favour of Ferland or Lapierre. But, he has had enough time to develop and will fit into Gainey's system.

I know I'm going to get a disagreement or two on my choice but it's the playoffs. We need scoring to replace the captain and Andrei should be able to rise to the occasion.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I think Gainey will try to minimize the reshuffling of lines. I suggest we might see:

Bulis Ribeiro Kovalev

Ryder Higgins Zednik

Perezhogin Plekanek Kostitsyn

Murray Bonk Sundstrom

or the following which I think is less likely:

Bulis Ribeiro Kovalev

Ryder Higgins Kostitsyn

Perezhogin Plekanek Zednik

Murray Bonk Sundstrom