Now Edmonton...

brobin

Well, 2-2 game in edmonton. Detroit gets a 5-3... during the 5-3, they play a pick and trip the high slot defender... while he is down, they take the free shot and score... Detroit up....

Unbelievable.. even the CBC guys were speechless at the obvious pick play. that would be called all year long. When Detroit has a 5-3, they let them get away with that.....

I guess head office really doesn't want an all Canadian final... Can't have that big Detroit market out of the TV ratings.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist.. but come on.. you call the reffing. they are not that incompetent, and if they are, why are the reffing in the playoffs...

As you can imagine, the edmonton crowd is in an uproar....

Why is everything always a conspiracy?

The ref blew the call. Thats all there really is. The NHL isn't out to get Canada.

I agree, the NHL isnt smart enough to keep a "conspiracy" like that a secret, the media would find out about it for sure!

The NHL (refs) is just incompetent, thats the problem. thats always been the problem, the refs need to improve. They have to stop missing key penalty calls.

The ref blew the call. Thats all there really is. The NHL isn't out to get Canada.

Oh yes they are! Instead of moving and creating teams in places like Quebec City, Winnipeg and Halifax they are putting teams in the suncoast or trying to move teams to Salt Lake City or Las Vegas! With the new CBA a place like Quebec City, Halifax and Winnipeg CAN support teams.

Oh yes they are! Instead of moving and creating teams in places like Quebec City, Winnipeg and Halifax they are putting teams in the suncoast or trying to move teams to Salt Lake City or Las Vegas! With the new CBA a place like Quebec City, Halifax and Winnipeg CAN support teams.

Not Quebec City. I live here. Its a snobby old-people's village. The city can't even support a decent airport. I'll be moving out because there's not enough quality jobs.

Quebec City dont deserve an NHL hockey team. They didnt even do anything when they loss the Nords. Let them rot away.

Not Quebec City. I live here. Its a snobby old-people's village. The city can't even support a decent airport. I'll be moving out because there's not enough quality jobs.

Quebec City dont deserve an NHL hockey team. They didnt even do anything when they loss the Nords. Let them rot away.

LMFAO !!!!!!!!!

There is no question that the NHL focus is on the USA. That is where the really big $ are, not here in Canada. The Canadian market is already at the top, we buy this game in a big way.

that doesn't necessarily equate to a reffing conspiracy.

The NHL was quite overt about its plan to expand to non-traditional markets to grow the game and provide a national league for american TV.

It probably is not a conspiracy. But is it incompetence, or some refs being biased? It is hard to fathom all these missed calls. These were not behind the play misses, these were right in front of refs, right where they are looking.

Sure, maybe they missed the Saku hit, it was fast, but there is no way they didn't see the interference in the Edmonton game. It was obvious. The ref was looking right at it. It was mind boggling.

I still find it hard to believe they can pick out some of the most minor infractions from miles away, but they can't see obvious stuff right in front of them?

I'm not sure I would say they don't derserve a NHL hockey team (although I really don't like spending too much time there - the city itself is beautiful, but I feel its people in general are a little too close-minded regarding anything that's not white and francophone), but they sure cannot afford a team. The Nordiques couldn't survive back when their player's budget was 10-15M, so they can forget about the new ceiling/cap system. The league did implement some revenue sharing, but it's near ridiculous. Besides, with the average ticket price today, they would have trouble filling in the Colisée Pepsi; people don't make enough money, and they don't have enough corporations to compensate.

It probably is not a conspiracy. But is it incompetence, or some refs being biased? It is hard to fathom all these missed calls. These were not behind the play misses, these were right in front of refs, right where they are looking.

Sure, maybe they missed the Saku hit, it was fast, but there is no way they didn't see the interference in the Edmonton game. It was obvious. The ref was looking right at it. It was mind boggling.

I still find it hard to believe they can pick out some of the most minor infractions from miles away, but they can't see obvious stuff right in front of them?

There's no conspiracy. Referees are just human beings, which mean they are not perfect; everyone makes mistakes. They usually call all high sticking penalties, but if neither of them saw Williams' stick hit Koivu, they cannot make the call. In Komisarek's case, the referee was standing right in from of the play, and saw it perfectly well.

Also, Carolina got hit pretty hard as well with penalties durind this series. In game 2 overtime, they got quite a few on which Montreal didn't capitalized.

Overall, I think the referees have done a good job during the season and the playoffs, and they are definitely calling penalties they would have never called in the past. Ajustments will have to be made over the summer, and that's normal; this is the first year of the "new" NHL.

Why would Halifax get an NHL team?? When expansion is based on support of the sport, probably any Canadian team south of Yukon can support an NHL team.

But what alot of fans refuse to accept is that professional sports is a business! A basic customer support/loyalty will help any solid business, but it can't be the only source of support. As much as we hate to think it, NHL teams are a for-profit sports entity. It exists to make money. It makes money by providing entertaining sporting events. Is it better to have 19,000 sellout in Halifax and have no major U.S National Sponsor or have 16,500 in Dallas or New York but have National Sponsors? I would think with the stronger U.S dollar, the 2,500 attendance difference is caught up and at least those big American cities give the league exposure to big dollar corporate sponsors.

The league implemented special rules to help keep Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa in. Don't you think Bettman would have gotten fed up and forced Bryden to sell the Senators to an American Investor during the Ottawa debacle. He didn't, he stood strong with the team, like he done for others.

The U.S had to expand to non-traditional cities to remove the niche-sport conception most Americans have of the NHL. It might not show in ratings yet, but over time it will improve.

I have been watching the NHL for well over 4 decades now, and even though the pick rule is in the book, I never once have seen it called..... And it happens far more often than one realizes, but is rarely if ever called.

Right or wrong, one of the reasons he got away with last night probably was the fact it was a cross ice defenseman changeup in which both players moved towards each other causing the resulting contact.

The second was that a great deal of the contact made was with the Oiler players stick which then resulted in the loss of his footing. Both are subtle factors in the refs decision - and he has only a split second to decide on it. He can't have a conference call with the boys at the next stoppage every time a perceived call is missed, or if one is incorrectly made.

Is it a pick - technically yes.

Should it have been called - hard to say, but it probably should have been?

Is it ever called - probably not.

Will it be in the future as a result - possibly?

Are refs capable of mistakes - yes over and over and over again = the human fallability factor!

Did it affect the outcome of the game - definitely.

And the fans in Edmonton are probably howling a loudly as the fans in Montreal are......

Fortunately this one didn't result in what may very well be a serious eye injury.

Both teams need to refocus and get the job at hand done, and both coaches handled this very well.

Well, I didn't see that play in question, but similar penalties have been called this year: interference. I've seen a few pick plays that have been called, but more that haven't.

As far as the CBC announcers complaining about that noncall, whaddya expect? The Oilers are Canadian, so I would expect the "hometown" announcers to whine just like any other hometown folks do.

And I scoff at any notion of the NHL and TV ratings...c'mon, no major network would pick them up without a bad deal for the NHL (when are they going to learn that Saturday afternoon games just don't draw people to the TV). The league is banished to OLN (soon to be renames Versus), which isn't in a lot of homes, and hockey still has lower ratings than bowling, skeet shooting, competitive spitting, etc. The NHL needs to change it's overall marketing package before they can hope to increase TV ratings in the states.

well Versus is picking up some conventional sports and making a strong push to move down the dial and increase distribution. They just got Arena Football and some other stuff. They ar supposed to be bidding on some baseball games as well. I would be surprised if they didnt pick up some college games. They are also supposed to be launching a major ad push after the season. Are they going to be ESPN next season? no, but I believe in their ability to grow a lot soon. Don't forget that they have comcast behind them. They came in really weak to start the season but have steadily improved.

I don't disagree that Versus may well become a decent sports network. I'm talking about here and now though, as far as the "conspiracy theory" that the NHL is trying to guide certain teams to the Cup for ratings.

Sorry for the threadjacking....Go Oilers! I'd love it if the self-proclaimed HockeyTown was eliminated.

The NHL doesn't like Canadian teams beating american teams.

I'm still amazed by comments like this one.... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

brobin and Pierre, that is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. Refs suck in ALL sports. Show me a single professional or college event that is perfectly refereed. Show me a single game where an obvious call is not missed. Refs are human beings, and they make mistakes. Just be thankful that the NHL uses video replay on important calls. I pity sports that reject the use of replay.

I have been watching the NHL for well over 4 decades now, and even though the pick rule is in the book, I never once have seen it called..... And it happens far more often than one realizes, but is rarely if ever called.

Right or wrong, one of the reasons he got away with last night probably was the fact it was a cross ice defenseman changeup in which both players moved towards each other causing the resulting contact.

The second was that a great deal of the contact made was with the Oiler players stick which then resulted in the loss of his footing. Both are subtle factors in the refs decision - and he has only a split second to decide on it. He can't have a conference call with the boys at the next stoppage every time a perceived call is missed, or if one is incorrectly made.

Is it a pick - technically yes.

Should it have been called - hard to say, but it probably should have been?

Is it ever called - probably not.

Will it be in the future as a result - possibly?

Are refs capable of mistakes - yes over and over and over again = the human fallability factor!

Did it affect the outcome of the game - definitely.

And the fans in Edmonton are probably howling a loudly as the fans in Montreal are......

Fortunately this one didn't result in what may very well be a serious eye injury.

Both teams need to refocus and get the job at hand done, and both coaches handled this very well.

Not sure how you can say that. This year that type of play (the guy was essentially tripped.. taken out...) has been called every time. This was not a case of minor interference, this was blatent.

We have seen guys called for this continuously all year. Now with Detroit on a 5-3, they can take out the defender? Hmm.. I agree it was a blown call and perhaps a mistake by the refs, but they seem to keep happening at very critical times of the game...

Not sure how you can say that. This year that type of play (the guy was essentially tripped.. taken out...) has been called every time. This was not a case of minor interference, this was blatent.

We have seen guys called for this continuously all year. Now with Detroit on a 5-3, they can take out the defender? Hmm.. I agree it was a blown call and perhaps a mistake by the refs, but they seem to keep happening at very critical times of the game...

The so-called pick is a different call than interference is - and the pick rule is seldom invoked.

This was an offensive zone pick which is hardly ever penalized, unless the contact is extremely hard, or so blatant it can't be missed for what it is = interference. Offensive blueline picks rarely end up with a penalty

If you watch that play closely the defenseman purposely skates close enough into the oncoming players lane to cause him to have to avoid making contact. As the defender moves into position he is caught in the path of the offensive player, unless the defender moves the possibility of contact is inevitable. The ref has to believe that the contact itself was the result of an intentional attempt to make contact - not incidental.

I'm not trying to excuse the call - it probably qualifies for interference, though barely so by the rules.What I pointed out was the probable reasons for this call not being made. The officials had to make a snap decision based on what they seen happening; which was a defender moving into position between the two players changing offensive spots on the blueline. It happens on a regular basis every game and the pick call is rarely enforced.

And as far as blown calls go - if a goal happens on a call then everyone and his dog screams the crucial point in the game song & dance routine. If you look at the stats you'll probably see that far more blown calls don't make them into crucial points in a game. Yes they are a factor in the game in some manner, but when the average power play over the years probably operates in the 20% or less range, penalties only factor into roughly one in every 5 goals scored. Funny how the team on the wrong end of a call always say it was at a crucial time in the game, when the real problem was the fact they didn't put the 'biscuit in the basket' more times than the opposition did?

They blew a marginal call that probably needs to be reviewed, but conspiracies and incompetence......

give me a break people.

Edited by beliveau1

The New NHL, now the new NHL playoffs.

No skate in the crease rule. Brett Hull scores the OT winner by Hasek with his skate in the crease to win Dalls the Stanley cup. No Head League?

From 2000 to 2004, the NHL were always tweaking the rules. There was always a question of consistency and the players complained about iy year after year. No Head League?

This is the only "business" to ever cancel a season. No Head League?

Alan Eagleson. No Head League?

Clarence Campbell. No Head League?

John Ziegler. No Head League?

A mickey mouse league that is a joke. Year after year. Again!

The New NHL seems to be exactly the same as the old one. Yeah yeah, there are more powerplays and we could go on about the new rules. I'm not talking about that. Beneath all of it is the stink of...the NHL!

NOTHING HAS CHANGED BETTMAN

Anyone care to add to my No Head League list please feel free.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Good grief, guys, take some deep breaths, close your eyes and relax.

You sound like conspiracy theorists.

:king: :hlogo: :king: