Loonie Hits 14 Year High Against The Dollar

Pierre the Great

it's great for me ... if i decide to move back to the US!

well.. that sucks for me... no more cheap vacations...

It sucks for me too, because my salary here in the UAE is pegged to the USD. My wife and i want to buy a house back in Canada, but right now I'm making less and less in Canadian terms than I was a couple of years ago even though my salary has increased significantly. If we were sending money home to Canada regularly it would be costing us thousands.

Loonie is on fire again! Getting close to 90 cents and people are talking about parity.

Yup, according to Banque Nationale this should be a reality before 2007 is over

it's great for me ... if i decide to move back to the US!

sucks for me, if I decide to move to the states... my debts will be on par :( LOL I was wishing to pay them at half the price :nono:

sucks for me, if I decide to move to the states... my debts will be on par :( LOL I was wishing to pay them at half the price :nono:

na - there's no way the cdn dollar will hold forever at this rate ... so - you move down there with your canadian bucks, settle in, then - watch the us dollar strengthen again and pay off your cdn debts faster than you ever could have imagined!

well ... that's my dream for personal financial freedom anyway

The USD isn't going to strengthen anytime soon. Bush has run the defecit up so high its going to take 50 years to break even now. And once the money runs out in China the economy down here will go flat. We are living on barrowed moneyand time. By the end of this decade I wouldn't be suprised if the loonie was stronger then the greenback.

Edited by Pierre the Great

I have always thought that would be the way to go but the u.s. wouldn't allow that to happen. And with the security cards coming into play in '07 you can basically throw that idea out the window. And mexico is still too poor. Especially northern mexico where all the 'illegals' come from.

But you would have John Turner types who were against NAFTA saying that this would make Canada loose its identity (which NAFTA is doing and a economic zone would do the same)

And in the u.s. they would bitch about having french and spanish on their money.

Bottomline: The U.S. would never agree to this.

Canadian dollar tops 90 cents US

CTV.ca News Staff

The Canadian dollar topped 90 cents US when it opened in international trading Tuesday -- its highest level in nearly 30 years.

For the first time since Nov. 1977, the loonie surpassed the 90-cent barrier and opened at 90.13 cents -- up 0.30 of a cent from Monday's close.

The soaring dollar has prompted Canadian travellers to book vacations to the U.S. -- particularly Florida -- in record numbers, travel agents say.

Airline bookings to Florida and car rentals in the state have increased dramatically during the past few weeks, itravel2000 President Jonathan Carroll told reporters Monday.

"Florida is both affordable and easily accessible to any consumer," Carroll said.

The Canadian dollar has been rising for the past four years and has already increased by around 4.2 per cent against the U.S. dollar this year.

Analysts say the loonie is being bolstered by rising demand for Canadian commodities, including oil, gold and nickel.

The currency also gained fresh momentum this week when the Bank of Canada raised its key rate a quarter point to four per cent and signalled further hikes could be in the pipeline.

Rising commodity prices are also helping to keep the Canadian dollar at the 28-year high against its U.S. counterpart.

The loonie has been one of the world's top-performing currencies against the U.S. dollar over the past week.

During the past month, the loonie posted the second-largest monthly increase in 55 years, according to National Bank Financial.

The soaring dollar comes as Stephen Harper's Conservative government gets ready to announce it's first federal budget at 4 p.m. ET today -- after the markets close.

Dollar surpasses 91 cents

TAVIA GRANT

Globe and Mail Update

The Canadian dollar surpassed 91 cents for the first time since January, 1978 as investors shed U.S. currency holdings and gold prices hit $700 (U.S.) an ounce.

The loonie rose more than a penny, trading as high as 91.10 cents from yesterday's close of 89.87 cents. The last time the currency traded at 91 cents was Jan. 16, 1978. The dollar closed up 1 cent at 90.87.

The move came after investors sold U.S. dollars on expectations the Federal Reserve will pause in its interest-rate increases after tomorrow. The currency got an extra boost, ringing up the world's second-biggest gains against the U.S. dollar today, on expectations rising commodity prices and increased merger activity in the mining sector will spur economic growth.

"It's a broader move, as far as the Canadian dollar goes, with the U.S. coming under pressure again," said Ian Stannard, currency strategist at BNP Paribas SA in London.

Mr. Stannard sees further strengthening in the Canadian currency ahead.

Interest in Canada may have been piqued by talk of multi-billion dollar mergers in the mining sector. Teck Cominco Ltd. yesterday launched a hostile $17.8-billion takeover of Inco Ltd., a move that is expected to trigger a bidding war in the industry.

But other currency strategists agreed that today's rise stems mostly from a movement out of the greenback.

"It's not a Canadian story today," said Andrew Pyle, senior economist at the Bank of Nova Scotia. Today's move is "being driven by an aggressive selloff in the U.S. dollar."

The Canadian dollar rose 1 per cent against its U.S. counterpart, the day's second-biggest gainer among the 63 currencies tracked by Bloomberg News after the Icelandic krona. In the past year, it's jumped 12.6 per cent, the second-strongest performance after the Brazilian real.

I think if the dollar stays like this for a long time then Canadian teams wont have the problem keeping players and we may see some teams like Winnipeg, Quebec come back and teams like Halifax, Hamilton, be formed, that would be great. It sucks that Canadas game is only played in 6 canadian cities.

:hlogo:

I'm a big fan for more canadian teams but the problem lies at the top. Bettman doesn't care about Canada. Would rather have a team in Kansas City (which can't even support 2 teams let alone 3) the suncoast and Las Vegas. When Bettman finally leaves and a real hockey person takes over then we will see move towards looking for teams to move to Canada instead Florida.

mm Oklahoma City area got a population of 1.3 million. Would that really be enough to support a team in an area where hockey is not the number 1 sport?

Ottawa area population is slightly lower than that, hockey is definitively the number 1 sport in that aregion and the Sens used to have lot of problem before the cap... :unsure: