Kovalev Injured?

Demers mentions on the RDS website that Kovalev has a knee injury and is playing on one leg. Have I missed something, or is this common knowledge?

If this is true---oh, merde. :blink:

Yeah, Pedneault mentionned something like this in the pre-game show. Kovelov's same knee is acting up and he wouldn't deny nor confirm he spent a part of Thursday at the hospital. It was questionnable whether he would start or not.

I don't know, but he has not looked very good the last couple of games. No speed, and he is not stick handling like he use to.. lack of mobility perhaps?

I don't really know about his injury, but Kovalev's lackluster play happens to coincide with Koivu' injury. The Canes have been saying since the beginning that THE guy they were most afraid of was saku Koivu; now that Koivu is out, they can put their best cover on Kovalev, and he has not responded well. In addition, Ribeiro has decided to disappear once again, so that "first" line has generated very little opportunities.

That's why I said yesterday that we needed Kostsitsyn in the lineup, and not a grinder or a 7th defenseman. Even though he's an inexperienced rookie, the Canes must know that this kid has mad skills, and he would be another player they'll have to be careful about.

That's why I said yesterday that we needed Kostsitsyn in the lineup, and not a grinder or a 7th defenseman. Even though he's an inexperienced rookie, the Canes must know that this kid has mad skills, and he would be another player they'll have to be careful about.

Or ignore that he's got skill and get burned by it :D

In addition, Ribeiro has decided to disappear once again, so that "first" line has generated very little opportunities.

Ribeiro was playing?

hopefully Kovalev's injury is nothing too serious and he'll get back in the game quickly. i'm not that concerned about him. he's been one of the hardest working habs this series.

and i totally agree with you about Kostitsyn. Gainey needs to seriously dress him for tomorrow night.

Edited by lull

I'm not too sure about this. Why would Gainey double shift a guy with an injury? Kovy was playing on two lines last night.

Carolina simply put their shutdown line against the Ribs line. If we can get other lines really producing then Carolina will have to pay more attention to them and less to the Ribs line.

Saku could play on Tuesday.

On another note - Ribeiro is a joke. Yet again he fails to come through when we need him. I sure hope Bob drops him and acquires a LEGITIMATE second line centreman.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Pedneault mentionned on RDS before the game that Kovalev was hurt to his right knee...which explains is 16 min of ice time in game 3...makes sense.

Apparently, he got hurt in game 2 by a Hedican hit. He also mentionned that Kovalev did go to the hospital for tests, which confirmed that his injury was not serious and that palying on it would not make it worse. Where he got his info, I don't know, but that's what he mentionned in last night's pre-game show.

Damn Hurricanes, they're hurting our players, they're high-sticking and they're getting away with it :angry2:

Hope Bégin pulverizes one of them next game :D

And Pedneault would know too. He knows everything that should happen and should have happened in a hockey game. I bet he has a direct line to God.

As you can see, I don't have a whole lot of respect for him. He irks me with his, 'how could he not have seen this' or 'he really made a mistake there, he should have done this play' kind of attitude.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

And Pedneault would know too. He knows everything that should happen and should have happened in a hockey game. I bet he has a direct line to God.

As you can see, I don't have a whole lot of respect for him. He irks me with his, 'how could he not have seen this' or 'he really made a mistake there, he should have done this play' kind of attitude.

damn right id like to see ######ing pednault put a pair of skates on and play

lol i could here the comments now! lol

Ah. Now I remember seeing a replay of the injury on RDS. During (or was it before?) Game 4. Some Cane (KTC says Hedican but I remember hearing Larose) gave Kovalev a knee-on-knee hit in center ice while Kovy was undressing him. Those cheap Canes...

I don't like Pedneault either, but he does have connections inside the Club, and Kovalev hurting his knee certainly makes sense, he only played 16 min in game 3. Also, Kovalev hasn't been able to make his unbelievable moves in game 3 and 4.

Sorry, but the knee injury is more then probable in my opinion.

Ah. Now I remember seeing a replay of the injury on RDS. During (or was it before?) Game 4. Some Cane (KTC says Hedican but I remember hearing Larose) gave Kovalev a knee-on-knee hit in center ice while Kovy was undressing him. Those cheap Canes...

I don't remember the play, I just reported Pedneault's comments which he mentionned Hedican's name. But then again, Pedneault could be wrong about the player that hurt Kovalev. I think he said that he thoughr it was Hedican, I don't think he said it in a way that he was certain about the player, he was just certain about Kovalev being hurt and having it checked out at the hospital.

Anyways, hope Kovy will play today like in the first 2 games.

amen to that.

and thank you, CBC, for putting the Habs' Playoff games up for us :)

I'm not too sure about this. Why would Gainey double shift a guy with an injury? Kovy was playing on two lines last night.

Carolina simply put their shutdown line against the Ribs line. If we can get other lines really producing then Carolina will have to pay more attention to them and less to the Ribs line.

Saku could play on Tuesday.

Koivu isn't playing Tuesday, nor will he play Thursday when the Habbers win Tuesday. They haven't even completed testing on his eye yet, due to blood in the eyeball. They're not even sure how damaged the eye is yet. Its doubtfull he'd even play if Montreal advances to the next round and beyond. I think your underestimating how damaged his eye is.

KOVY HAS A KNEE INJURY FOR SURE!!!

ÉNERGIE 94.3FM reported that they know someone who is working at some health clinic and they saw kovy there, walking on crutches!!! if it was in regular season = NOT playing, but since saku is already out, kovy decided to push it and play *for the team*

so PLEASE, stop blaming him!! he is really giving his 100% for the team~

It was the playoffs, you play hurt. I'm sure Kovy told Gainey that his knee could handle the extra time and I'm sure Gainey wanted his best player on the ice. An injured Kovy is still better than a healthy Ribs, Bulis, or Zednik.

Watching him play though, I think there was something obviously wrong with him. He wasn't moving and creating like we all know that he can. I won't be surprised to see him have some sort of scope or outpatient surgery on his knee in the next few days to clear up any damage.

Who cares whether he was hurt or not, other than the fact that it shows he has some heart. Montreal has been eliminated and now its time for him to get healthy and be ready for next year.

Actually, I think he said after last night's game that he was not injured. Since the playoffs are over for Montreal, it wouldn't make sense to lie about it. I think it's pretty simple: Koivu was injured so Carolina was free to put their best cover on Kovalev. The Canes didn't give Kovalev any space near the crease for his flashy moves, and since he can't do anything else (like a nice, simple pass to an open linemate), Kovalev became useless. Unfortunately, nobody else stepped up offensively, so Carolina easily won the series (yes, they were only 1-goal games, but Carolina has never been anywhere near losing one of the last 3 games).

I think it was more than just Carolina shutting him down. He didn't look like himself skating up and down the ice. Kovy can move and he didn't seem like he was able to move like he can. I doubt it was anything major, but I think it affected his game more than he thinks. He probably just doesn't want to blame anything on an injury and look like a guy grabbing for an excuse.

It's obvious Kovalev was badly hurt. He wasn't able to turn on the right or to put weight on his right knee. And just remember how he reacted when he lost its stick in the 3rd. I'm impressed because he didn't complained about being injured. Still, I think he played too much. For example, late in the 3rd.. almost cost us the game there.