La Presse Reports Koivu Better Than Anticipated

Don't be fooled by these reports from La Presse. Koivu is not coming back any time soon. He hasn't even recovered full vision and you think he's going to jump on the ice. Not too mention he almost certainly would have suffered a broken orbital bone. La presse is trying to sell papers and start hype that isn't there. Koivu is gone for the season, don't get your hopes up.

TSN says the same thing...

He didn't suffer any broken bones according to TSN/RDS.

TSN says the same thing...

He didn't suffer any broken bones according to TSN/RDS.

Show me in this tsn article where it says "no broken bones"? I do see where it says definitely not coming back for this series, and that there is no long term prognosis because they can't do the necessary tests because his eye is full of blood. As I said before, the guy who wrote that article is making it up and has talked to no one on the Canadiens med staff or the team for that matter.

"A source close to the Canadiens described as "ludicrous" the report that suggested Koivu is a strong possibility to return to face Carolina in the playoffs. "

TSN.ca Staff

4/29/2006 4:49:40 PM

Saku Koivu returned home from the hospital yesterday, but contrary to a published report in a Montreal newspaper today, Koivu is not yet in the clear and most definitely is not scheduled to return to the Carolina-Montreal series.

The Canadiens are encouraged Koivu has been released from hospital, but is still undergoing tests on his damaged eye. Those tests cannot be completed yet because there remains too much blood in and behind the eye, so it's likely another day or two at least before a definitive prognosis can be made.

A source close to the Canadiens described as "ludicrous" the report that suggested Koivu is a strong possibility to return to face Carolina in the playoffs.

Koivu was struck by an accidental high-stick from Justin Williams while rushing to the net to accept a pass from Chris Higgins in the second period of the Hurricanes' 2-1 overtime win on Wednesday night.

Williams tried to lift Koivu's stick, but missed and the stick shot up under the Finnish centre's visor. Koivu dropped to the ice, clutching the bleeding eye, then rushed off the ice for treatment.

Don't be fooled by these reports from La Presse. Koivu is not coming back any time soon. He hasn't even recovered full vision and you think he's going to jump on the ice. Not too mention he almost certainly would have suffered a broken orbital bone. La presse is trying to sell papers and start hype that isn't there. Koivu is gone for the season, don't get your hopes up.

Interesting that La Presse had details about the injury. Let's all hope it is an indication that the damage isn't all that bad and his career is OK. Maybe La Presse is sugarcoating the article with a series return. But, to have intricate details is another thing. I don't know what to believe. But, right now I expect him to be gone at least until game 3 against Ottawa if we get there. And, that's assuming all is well.

Weren't we suppose to have official details by Sunday???

Interesting that La Presse had details about the injury. Let's all hope it is an indication that the damage isn't all that bad and his career is OK. Maybe La Presse is sugarcoating the article with a series return. But, to have intricate details is another thing. I don't know what to believe. But, right now I expect him to be gone at least until game 3 against Ottawa if we get there. And, that's assuming all is well.

Weren't we suppose to have official details by Sunday???

There was official details...there is still too much blood in and behind his eye and there's still too much swelling for them to analyze and have a proper diagnostic. They still have to wait a few more days...

Forget Koivu coming back in the 1st round.

They haven't even finished testing to determine the amount of damage done to his eye. Exactly how is he going to be back for this series? Even if Montreal advances, I don't believe you'll see Koivu play again this year.

I predict he will be back in the lineup tomorrow. The Canadiens are making it seem worse than it is so that they could try and get the rest of the team moving, and so they could get a major lift when Koivu comes back.

I'm allowed to think wishfully ;)

I predict he will be back in the lineup tomorrow. The Canadiens are making it seem worse than it is so that they could try and get the rest of the team moving, and so they could get a major lift when Koivu comes back.

I'm allowed to think wishfully ;)

I'm glad you added that last sentence, especially considering the swelling in his eye still hasn't decreased enough to run all the tests needed (May 2, Gazette)

You won't be seeing Koivu back anytime soon.

Edited by kaos