Best U2 Album?

Pierre the Great

I personally like Achtung Baby. But I'm into electro-U2 although my second favourite album is Joshua Tree. I just think some of there better songs were in the 90's like First Time, Dirty Day [Junk Day Mix], The Fly, Lady with the Spinning Head, Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) and Until the End of the World.

My favorite U2 album, and the last one I bought, was Under a Blood Red Sky. I'm showing my age, but I dont think they've done anything better than Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

I'd definitely have to go with Achtung Baby. Mysterious Ways>>>>all. I really like Beautiful Day too though.

I like all their music though, I've heard it all. My sister, dad and cousin are all huge fans so I grew up with U2 being played non-stop. They were the first music I heard that wasn't Country (along INXS and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Huge Chili Peppers fan now)

well I feel kinda old when I say my favourite band is U2 considering I'm a teen and the response is what???

Nothing better since War thats your opinion I guess but you sure missed a lot of great music.

You're a teen. :blink: I thought you were in your 30s atleast! (I'm still younger than you)

But anyways, back on topic. The only U2 album I own is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and it's pretty good. I like a couple of their old songs though like Sunday, Bloody Sunday and stuff but U2 isn't exactly my favourite band.

I recommend The Strokes, AFI, Metallica, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Franz Ferdinand, The Vines, The White Stripes, all the classic old stuff (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc, etc) and to a lesser extent System of a Down (Toxicity), the Offspring, Coldplay, the Verve (Bittersweet Symphony), Radiohead (Paranoid Android), Kasabian (Club Foot), Nirvana and a few others. I try to stay away from mainstream if I can.

By the way.. am I the only one who prefers Coldplay over U2?

I prefer either The Joshua Tree, or the Unforgettable Fire. And speaking of Under a Blood Red Sky, I think it would be pretty cool if they played at Red Rocks again. I've got a few shows I'm going to see there this summer, still the best venue I've ever been to.

Edited by huzer

I prefer either The Joshua Tree, or the Unforgettable Fire. And speaking of Under a Blood Red Sky, I think it would be pretty cool if they played at Red Rocks again. I've got a few shows I'm going to see there this summer, still the best venue I've ever been to.

God choice, I'd probably also pick The Joshua Tree as my favourite. How can you go wrong with an album that has "Streets has no names" , "Still havent found... " , "With or without you" , and "Bullet the blue sky" on it.

U2 gets alot of shit from alot of people, for alot of reasons. But they'll always be one of my favourite bands, the U2 concert I saw last November at the Bell Centre was probably the best concert I've ever seen, just an awesome freaking experience, they can still really put on a show. What an atmosphere.

By the way.. am I the only one who prefers Coldplay over U2?

I like Coldplay but they don't have the volume of songs that U2 (since they've been around forever). Went to a Coldplay concert last year. Liked it a lot. Wanted to go to the U2 gig but all the 40 year olds bought all the tickets before I could even get on ticketmasters website.

Edited by Pierre the Great

Eheheh, don't get me started on U2...

I mainly listen to underground alt rock/metal with some indie tossed in as well.

Not liking U2 seems to be the "hip thing" to do. :D , though I guess you have your reasons. Dont get me wrong, I'm into alot of different types of music (though mainly alt rock, rock, metal, like you) .... I dont really have enough free time to take an interest or discover any underground stuff, its mainly mainstream.

Personally I cant stand people who "hate mainstream" and only like bands that only they have heard of (and then stop liking them once they become popular). Arrogant pricks! ... I'm not saying your like this, I'm just ranting... Cant people just like music that sounds good to them? Who cares if the band is popular, or if the lead singer has an enormous ego and thinks he can save the world (Bono).

Not liking U2 seems to be the "hip thing" to do. :D , though I guess you have your reasons. Dont get me wrong, I'm into alot of different types of music (though mainly alt rock, rock, metal, like you) .... I dont really have enough free time to take an interest or discover any underground stuff, its mainly mainstream.

Personally I cant stand people who "hate mainstream" and only like bands that only they have heard of (and then stop liking them once they become popular). Arrogant pricks! ... I'm not saying your like this, I'm just ranting... Cant people just like music that sounds good to them? Who cares if the band is popular, or if the lead singer has an enormous ego and thinks he can save the world (Bono).

I suppose I might be a bit of an elitist when it comes to music, but I like music that not only sounds good, but also has meaning behind it. In a way, it's almost like literature; if there's no real substance behind the writing, the reader walks away feeling unfulfilled. Music is much the same way, which is why I usually don't care for mainstream (although this is not always the case) because typically once a band becomes popular, they no longer write for themselves, but instead write for the big green dollar sign. But like I said before, I'm an elitist and I realize that not everyone takes music as seriously as me and that's perfectly fine.

I suppose I might be a bit of an elitist when it comes to music, but I like music that not only sounds good, but also has meaning behind it. In a way, it's almost like literature; if there's no real substance behind the writing, the reader walks away feeling unfulfilled. Music is much the same way, which is why I usually don't care for mainstream (although this is not always the case) because typically once a band becomes popular, they no longer write for themselves, but instead write for the big green dollar sign. But like I said before, I'm an elitist and I realize that not everyone takes music as seriously as me and that's perfectly fine.

Check out counting crows. They write amazing lyrics.

Check out counting crows. They write amazing lyrics.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of them before, but have never actually gotten around to checking them out, but I will now.

BTW: Anyone who likes politics should check out the Sisters of Mercy. Some very interesting lyrics there and incredible subtext.

Edited by dark_faerie87

... full agreement with "The Joshua Tree" album !!!

I had bought this on my 1988-summer vacation in former Yougoslavia and was absolutely delighted. ;)

... BTW, good advice from ~dark_faerie87~ about the Sisters of Mercy. I'm their big fan too! :)

But long-life no.1 for me are Robert Smith's The Cure ! :P;)

Best U2 album ... like the question "Do you still beat your wife?"

Either way, you're condemning yourself :D

IMO U2 is waaay overrated, Bono is an arrogant arse. And seriously, what sort of name is 'Bono'? But hey, they sang "Bloody Sunday", so I'll give them a break.

Great to see some awesome bands mentioned already though, Midnight Oil, Radiohead and Arcade Fire.

I'll share a secret with y'all. There's a website called Pandora which will be an awesome tool for everyone looking to expand their music tastes.

Check it out, it's probably the best website on the internet that doesn't start with "e" and end with "bay", or "g" and end with "oogle".

Enjoy!

Lol. I listen to bands like Arcade Fire, the Stills, Stars, etc. and I get blank stares by people. So I guess I'm not 'mainstream' either.

Arcade Fire is awesome, they actually opened for U2 in Montreal, I liked them before this, but seeing them live made me like them even more (And they are huge U2 fans, so ha!) , those guys are really intense performers, you could fill buckets with sweat from what they leave on the stage after a set.

U2 fan here. Have all the albums.

Best overall album from U2: The Joshue Tree. Could be one of the best albums ever.

Best song: Staring at the sun and Sunday bloody sunday.

People diss many bands, U2 is just one.

Seriously, start up a "Best Beatles Album" or "Best Rollings Stones Album", you'll find playa-haters everywhere.

Now check it out - http://pandora.net - and find more bands that you never would have found before!

Yeah but I want to know there reasons. Like for example everyone hates Nickelback. Bands have gone on radio shows and said before they got big they were nice guys but now they are a bunch of punks. And anyway who likes that bad band.

But with U2 the only person I've seen hate on them was I believe Adam Corrolla who rolled his eyes and said Bono should fix his own country (Ireland) before telling us (america) what to do. Even though U2 was subjected to IRA bombings threats in the late 80's due to Bono's public lashing in one song about the IRA saying that the revolution is over. I think that was in Rattle and Hum. And the song Zooropa openly supports the European Union.