Best U2 Album?

Pierre the Great

I don't get why one must like the personal opinions of a bands front person in order to like the music.

I like Dylan but I don't share his political opinoin.

I do think Bono has some good ideas but at the same time I do realize that he's naive.

People diss many bands, U2 is just one.

Seriously, start up a "Best Beatles Album" or "Best Rollings Stones Album", you'll find playa-haters everywhere.

Now check it out - http://pandora.net - and find more bands that you never would have found before!

Hahahaha, great examples, I hate both of them.

I hate Coldplay too.

And Johnny Cash is immensely overrated.

I'm pretty much looking for an argument here, aren't I?

Hahahaha, great examples, I hate both of them.

I hate Coldplay too.

And Johnny Cash is immensely overrated.

I'm pretty much looking for an argument here, aren't I?

I agree with you here!

IMO, Beatles only really hit their stride after Sgt. Peppers.

And the Stones, ugh, retire already.

BTW, has anyone noticed the exact same chord changes in Coldplay's "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound"? Almost as bad as Oasis in their tendency to recycle songs. INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING!

Now Devo ... there was a band :D

I agree

i have to say the latest albums are not that good as the material they made in the early years. I can't listen to the latest work of them

I'd have to agree. I didn't mind "All That You Can't Leave Behind" but "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" was horrid. I was boggled to see it win Album of the Year a couple months ago.

I'd have to agree. I didn't mind "All That You Can't Leave Behind" but "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" was horrid. I was boggled to see it win Album of the Year a couple months ago.

I agree that "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" wasn't that great. I think they got best album because they got shafted for All that you can leave behind and Achtung Baby.

I agree that "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" wasn't that great. I think they got best album because they got shafted for All that you can leave behind and Achtung Baby.

Yeah, you're probably right there. I thought with the massive hype and the huge singles of 2005, Mariah Carey would've taken. She really got shafted at every awards show this year.

I'll admit, a guilty pleasure right there. :blush:

I think "city of blinding lights" and "all because of you" are not that bad, but when they brought out Pop they were downhilling ever since. Only the first years were great!! I'm glad i didn't pay almost 100 dollar for that concert last summer, and went to see coldplay

No 'best' album for me.

Just a series of albums that I generally enjoy listening to.

BOY - neve got into it

OCTOBER - some super songs

WAR - a stronger album with memorable stuff like 'Surrender' & 'New Year's Day'

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE - a wonderfully weird album

JOSHUA TREE - some marvelous songs especially on the 1st side (vinyl)

RATTLE & HUM - lots more highlights (along with some lowlights)

ACHTUNG BABY - a generally outstanding album (closest to my favourite)

ZOOROPA - I still can't really get into it much but a fascinating album nevertheless

POP - like 'Zooropa'

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - still haven't fully tasted this one but it does have some fine cuts

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB - strange eye-catching title but, for me, the album to which I can relate the most

All in all, for me, some great stuff, some good stuff, some forgettable stuff but much more of the first two.

Edited by shortcat1

A-track now thats something you don't see anymore although I know somebody that has an A-track player in his car, talk about retro.

Don't you mean 8-track? As in you can record 8 different "pieces" to be played simultaneously. I think most bands today record with 64 track machines.

Best album: Achtung Baby. Joshua Tree broke the band wide open with some huge hits that will never sound old but it's a little too snobbish for me in its deliberate attempt to become the classic all-American album.

Achtung on the other hand is an experimental work of art. Waaaaaay ahead of its time and represents exactly what U2 is - a bunch of cocky Irishmen willing to test the limits of the consumer ear but who also happen to be great songwriters.

The song 'One' was recorded in Berlin around the time of German re-unification and is reported to have saved the band from splitting.

A-track now thats something you don't see anymore although I know somebody that has an A-track player in his car, talk about retro.

interesting info on the 8-track tape. a short read but lots of excellent info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_cartridge

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I don't own any U2 albums, so I can't comment. As far as songs go, the one they've done that particularly resonated with me was 'One'. I'm mostly into hard rock, but I appreciate the quiet intensity of that song.

I liked U2 at one time and played many of their songs on Bass Guitar when musician friends got together. I find myself withdrawn from the band due to listening too much to them and BONO trying to get his hand in our tax dollar pockets. If I were a mean spirited person I would dislike the man, however he is fightin a good fight and I wish him luck in getting charity money from the Harper Gang that rules the roost in Ottawa.

Thats why I kinda stay away from concerts in general. I know they are fighting the good fight and I'd join them if I could (join the peace corp). He's become the public face of African hunger which is good because not everyone can take the heat that goes along with that responsiblity. I'll continue to support the causes but in a behind the curtain sort of way.