Lebron James Not As Good As Advertised

Mils

The media has tried to convince everybody and their sister that LeBron James is the best player since Jordan and he will eventually rival Jordan. No way. He's almost pure media hype. He's good. He's an all-star. But he is showing now that he doesn't have the ability to carry a team on his back and rise above everybody else. He whines to the officials when things don't go well and when the pressure builds he tries to step up and fails or doesn't show. Players who were better at rising above their compeition include Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal (having trouble with the Bulls), Reggie Miller, John Stockton, Karl Malone. I think the media needs to get some perspective and stop with the blind adoration of "King James".

What NBA? Is there even such a thing? The NBA has always been a segregated sport. African american basketball players with white people in the crowd. The attention the U.S. gives to basketball has dropped ever since Kobe couldn't keep his poker in his pants. Kobe ruined it for a lot people because he was seen as the shining star. This is why the media is all over LeBron because they need somebody that can bridge gaps and keep people interested. This is the facts of life when it comes to the nba. People didn't like the thug attire that they wore to games so Stern instituted the dress code. Baseball is going through the samething with Bonds at the moment.

He's almost pure media hype. He's good. He's an all-star. But he is showing now that he doesn't have the ability to carry a team on his back and rise above everybody else. He whines to the officials when things don't go well and when the pressure builds he tries to step up and fails or doesn't show.

...I think the media needs to get some perspective and stop with the blind adoration...

Wait a second... this isn't the Crosby thread!!

:P

Lebron James is 21 yo, and just finished 3rd in the NBA in scoring behind Iverson (arguably the best player in the league) and Bryant (who had a freakishly great season). He's improved steadily over his first 3 seasons, and should only get better. As for Micheal Jordan, he played his first season at the age of 21. Not to compare the 2 players, but Iverson might actually be ahead of Jordan at this point of his career. Now, there will never be another Jordan, but hopefully, James will be the next "Lebron", a great player we will compare prospects to.

It's funny how people love to put down those super-hyped prospects, like Lindros in the past, or Crosby this year. Crosby just had a 100-point rookie season, but some people have found all kinds of excuses to bash him. The easiest excuse is the "leader" thing: Lebron isn't a leader, Lindros wasn't a leader (the guy was a dominating force out there, and it sure wasn't his fault Hextall couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs), Thornton isn't a leader, ...

Such players are so rare, why can't we just enjoy their show?

Because it's hard to watch guys with such huge attitude problems? Albeit, I don't think Lebron is one of them, I love the guy but Lindros and Crosby sure as hell like to whine a lot. Kind of hard to like a guy who thinks he deserves special attention because hes some hyped up media prospect. Crosby has talent, I won't say he doesn't, hes got loads of it. 100 points in a season at 18 is nothing to scoff at but his continual bitching and moaning in just about every game I've seen him gets on my nerves.

Because it's hard to watch guys with such huge attitude problems? Albeit, I don't think Lebron is one of them, I love the guy but Lindros and Crosby sure as hell like to whine a lot. Kind of hard to like a guy who thinks he deserves special attention because hes some hyped up media prospect. Crosby has talent, I won't say he doesn't, hes got loads of it. 100 points in a season at 18 is nothing to scoff at but his continual bitching and moaning in just about every game I've seen him gets on my nerves.

I was going to mention Crosby right when I read this thread. He has a lot in common with King James.

In the end, I think Jordan's college experience is what will set him apart from LeBron. College is where you grow up and mature into being a man. LeBron missed out on that, and we thrown right into a man's world. It's incredible that he's done this well without that growing period. It will be another couple years before he fully matures, I think. Just look how long it took for a guy like Jermaine O'Neal to become a good player.

That being said, the NBA sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh this kills me. I know the hype of James is way too much but he is a great player! He and the Cavs are up 3-2 against the Pistons and it is due to Lebron. The NBA does not suck as it is fast and exciting. Sort of like what the NHL is now, fast and exciting. I know this is just my opinion. :P

The NBA does not suck as it is fast and exciting. Sort of like what the NHL is now, fast and exciting.

Is that why the last 2 minutes of the Cavs/Pistons game took the same amount of time as 10 minutes of the Sharks/Oilers game?

Is that why the last 2 minutes of the Cavs/Pistons game took the same amount of time as 10 minutes of the Sharks/Oilers game?

This is interesting as I have heard the same thing about NFL games and you are right. Last 2 minutes usually dictate the games outcome which can be bad or good whichever way you look at it. It seems to take FOREVER to get the game over. I find it fun. NFL with the last two minuties is really a waste of time if the winning team gets one first down. Guess every sport has a weakness.

Hockey before this year was so slow, if a team was up by 3 goals with 5 minutes left "The Trap" was the dominant theme and victory was assured in most cases. Now the NHL is hot as a lead is not a given for a win.

Last 2 minutes usually dictate the games outcome which can be bad or good whichever way you look at it. It seems to take FOREVER to get the game over. I find it fun.

Just wondering what you find fun about it. Personally, I can't stand having to watch a 60 second commercial break for every 15-20 seconds of gameplay. I find the game to be the fun part, not watching timeouts and commercials.

This is just one of many things I have against the NBA. I think the referees are worthless and that they need a rule crackdown like the NHL. It's no fun watching guys travel all over the floor and push each other around. Basketball was not supposed to be a conctact sport, but thanks to Shaq, physical play has become the standard.

Three big changes that would regain my interest in the NBA:

1. Crackdown on travelling

2. Teach the refs the difference between a charge and a block

3. Get rid of the insane pushing and shoving inside the paint.

Just wondering what you find fun about it. Personally, I can't stand having to watch a 60 second commercial break for every 15-20 seconds of gameplay. I find the game to be the fun part, not watching timeouts and commercials.

You are right about this being annoying however it does leave time for multiple beer breaks. :)

The fun part is getting down to the last shot and the play that is set up for the win. I like strategy and set plays. It is different from the old days of hoops without the 3-point play and travelling in the paint as it is now. Hoops is a sport you can either love it or hate it. At least my friends all hate it, but I love it.

I will never argue about officiating, YIKES it is the pits in this sport. You have to have respect to get a call which is just nonsense in my opinion. NFL is just as pathetic sometimes but they are human so stuff happens.

I like NHL overtimes... No stupid commericals!!!

An awesome point, just one of many reasons why overtime hockey in the playoffs is the most exciting thing in sports.

Speaking of which, more sports should be like soccer. Their ads are awesome, since the play is continuous. They simply flash small ads beneath the score. Just think how much better watching sports would be with fewer stoppages. And going to events in person would be a lot better without TV timeouts.

An awesome point, just one of many reasons why overtime hockey in the playoffs is the most exciting thing in sports.

Speaking of which, more sports should be like soccer. Their ads are awesome, since the play is continuous. They simply flash small ads beneath the score. Just think how much better watching sports would be with fewer stoppages. And going to events in person would be a lot better without TV timeouts.

I don't watch soccer, but this is a good idea for hoops. You guys are right about overtime in hockey. I cannot think of a sport that is more exciting then the NHL in Overtime.

I love TV timeouts, gives me time to go get a hot dog or something. I never go at intermission because the lines are insane.

And OT playoff hockey does have to be the most exciting thing in pro sports. Except when the Avs are involved, then I hate it.

I love TV timeouts, gives me time to go get a hot dog or something. I never go at intermission because the lines are insane.

You waste your money on food and drinks at games? You must be rich!

I refuse to pay 4 bucks for a hot dog and 7 bucks for a beer. I can get 3 packs of hot dogs for 3 bucks during a good sale and a 24 pack of beer for 10 bucks.

You waste your money on food and drinks at games? You must be rich!

I refuse to pay 4 bucks for a hot dog and 7 bucks for a beer. I can get 3 packs of hot dogs for 3 bucks during a good sale and a 24 pack of beer for 10 bucks.

You sir know how to shop for a great bargain.

I cannot remember what I paid for me and 3 friends at a Leaf game but the beer was outragous. Think it was $8.50??? each or something like that, just cannot remember and did not care at the time. No wonder the Leafs have so much money, I helped pay Sundin's salary. Bad Habs fan I am!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

A 24 for 10 bucks???? That is insane. The cheapest up here is 24 bucks...

This isn't Molson or Labatt I'm talking about here, it's Natural Light. It's the cheapest beer on the market down here, the beer of choice at half of college parties.

That being said, it's not really as bad as you would think such cheap beer would be. We've run numerous blind taste tests, and people are unable to consistently tell the difference between Natural Light and Bud Light. Both come from Anhuesier-Busch, so our theory is that Natural Light is simply the stuff at the bottom of the Bud Light vats. They have a brewery in Columbus, and while I haven't been there myself, my friends who have toured noted that there were no Natural Light vats...

You sir know how to shop for a great bargain.

Indeed I do. At least once every couple months one of the groceries here will run a "buy one get two free" special on hot dogs and bologna. Thus, this is the only time I ever buy hot dogs and bologna.

Beer sucks, I don't drink beer. Worst tasting liquid in the entire world.

And it's hardly a so-called "waste". If I'm hungry, I'm hungry. And at hockey games, I usually am.

Haha, not the best tasting thing, but it grows on you.

You could save yourself a lot of money if you just ate before the game. Surely you can take 4 hours without food. At least long enough so that you can wait until after the game, then stop at Wendy's. There you'd be able to get a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger, Chicken Nuggets, Fries, and a drink for the price of one dog.

I just find that buying any concessions at sporting events to be one of the biggest ripoffs in the world. Only time I will buy a hot dog at a game is one dime a dog night, and they only ever do that at minor league baseball games.

All in all, I'd rather go hungry for a couple hours than spend so much money on something that should be so cheap.

I usually just hit Timmys. A dozen donuts and a coke for 10 bucks. Mmmm.

Althought the last 3 times I've gone was in my Uncle's box. So theres steak and shrimp coctails and all that for free.