Some Hockey Fans Disgust Me

Fanpuck33

This is supposed to be about anti-Americanism that disgusts the poster, not anti-Zednik sentiment..

Yes, i realised that when I finished my post...But I just needed to get that off my chest, relax.

The attitude on this board now that it has gotten more popular has become rotten compared to what it was before.

Not to argue with you Fanpuck, you know it's all good. But what about in Dallas and (the only other one i know) Colorado where people yell things during the national anthems (In dallas thay all yell "stars" when it is said in the anthem and in Colorado since 9/11 one guy has yelled "still there" along with the anthem). Is that disrespectful and not right?

I agree, knowing how important the symbols are to Americans and Canadians, booing the anthem is wrong and shows a lack of class and disrespect. (Europe isn't a factor here because none of this has anything to do with Europe. No disrespect to our brothers and sisters overseas in whatever country, but this isn't about European priorities or European values.) I'm just curious where yelling during the anthem becomes reprehensible.

Habsfan88: Let smon worry about the details. I agree Zednik dexerves a chance. Send him to Colorado!!! :D

I applaud Montrealers booing the U.S. national anthem. I don't see a law that says you can't boo the U.S. national anthem. After all its a differnt country. The U.S. soccer team gets this all the time when the play in South America. They get Osama chants (which I think are funny btw).

QUOTE(JeanLucPilon @ May 4 2006, 08:53 AM)

IAnyway I repeat there should not be national anthems before games -- politics have no place in hockey

If that were only true. You being a french Canadian should know that the best. Remember the Maurice Richard Riots? North American Culture is to have the national anthem at sporting events, why? Because its all about bloody stupid patriotism.

And Europe does do have National Anthems during sporting events, classic example: Formula One. Drivers are classified by nationality and the winning drivers national anthem is played. You can't get more politics in sports then that.

I applaud Montrealers booing the U.S. national anthem. I don't see a law that says you can't boo the U.S. national anthem. After all its a differnt country. The U.S. soccer team gets this all the time when the play in South America. They get Osama chants (which I think are funny btw).

there are lots of things that aren't against the law that I don't applaud. I think you have a few too...

If no nationalism, respect, sanctity arguments sway you, then look at it this way: when american teams come to play in montreal they are our guests. Let's be good hosts to our guests.

Also - the booing marginalizes Canada. If our two countries can't be friendly, it becomes less easy to do business - and Canada NEEDS american friendship. Not to say the USA would screw a profitable trade treaty or joint venture because 2000 people boo at an anthem at a hockey game in montreal.... but it puts a bad taste in american mouths and makes things just that much more confrontational.

Why not boo? It's bad for Canada.

Edited by simonus

I don't think it marginalizes Canada at all. Because if it did then the whole world is marginalized because whenever there is an international event held outside of the states people boo. So why does the U.S. have to get preferential treatment. And furthermore americans know they are going to get booed so it doesn't effect them anyway. Only people who might make noise about are right wing pundits who just want to polarize people even more with there brain washed crap.

It is extremely disrespectable to boo any anthem, not just the US anthem. To say that would be ridiculous.

Sure it is. But what if it is someone's intention to disrespect? I'd loudly boo "Horst Wessel Lied" to take an extreme example.

when does showing anger and disgust trump sports crowd ethics? I come from a town where if Stalin could hit a fastball they would cheer him. Saint Louis baseball fans can't boo anyone if there life depended on it. Do they boo Bush? No. Do they boo Bonds? No. They didn't even boo Mcgwire when he came to town for the closing of the stadium. When I see someone boo I know they are atleast paying some bit of attention in the world albeit hockey or world politics. Who's it going to hurt anyway? We live in a polarized world and I doubt no one cares.

Why would they boo McGwire? He admitted what he was using, and at the time it was not illegal. I think his 70 should have an asterix, but at least he was honest about it. Bonds did it behind closed doors all these years, and I seriously doubt that he doesn't get booed in St. Louis. I've watched plenty of Reds games in St. Louis and I've heard the fans boo.

You statement is ridiculous as well. If you have America so much, why are you still here? (I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious.)

My take, a sporting event, especially a professional sporting event, such as an NHL game, is not the forum to voice your displeasure with another country's actions. If you hate the country that much, you shouldn't be going to Habs games where you're generating revenues for an American.

Why would they boo McGwire? He admitted what he was using, and at the time it was not illegal. I think his 70 should have an asterix, but at least he was honest about it. Bonds did it behind closed doors all these years, and I seriously doubt that he doesn't get booed in St. Louis. I've watched plenty of Reds games in St. Louis and I've heard the fans boo.

You statement is ridiculous as well. If you have America so much, why are you still here? (I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious.)

Its a multiple of things but mainly it has to do with my distaste or hatred of the midwest. And I always thought America would evolve into something like Europe but the 2004 elections proved that we are never going to become like Europe or Canada for that matter and that we are going backwards as a society. Basically I'm tired of the bullshit. I'm a sheep among wolves here. But I did take a trip to Seattle and loved it. Didn't have to fear for my life because I said something that was against the 'moral authority' of the midwest.

Politics + Sports.

And therein lies the reason that I don't care about pro sport anymore. That and the million dollar whiney athletes who drug up and complain they don't have enough.

As for booing the anthems at games? I don't like it, but everyone has an opinion. Sure, it'd be great if people were all literate and mature enough to write to their MP or congressman when they had an issue, but instead the uneducated boo. Which, incidentally, is why the human race is becoming stagnant. Sure, we're technologically moving ahead, but we're human doers, not human beings. Very few know how to "be" anymore. Tangent.

And Fanpuck, I don't know your politics, but I do know yer an intelligent person who can surely suss out why people would boo the US. Instead of being angry about it, you might as well just live with it and be pleased that the US fought hard to allow people to boo. (And try and ignore the US politics of today where you have the wiretaps and you can be removed from a group near the president if they don't like you, and all the other freedom things that the Bush administration has taken away. Hypocritical dopes.) Tangent again.

And if you *really* want to get to the rotting underbelly of the habs fans, Fanpuck, come live close to Quebec, or in it, and start dealing with the political garbage surrounding the French-English thing. You'll go home and giggle at the nonsense boos after having to deal with that crap. Why I can barely stand hockey anymore.

not to change the topic but....

i find it amazing how a topic starts on one specific issue and then veers into a wide range of possibilities (some of them actually related). :huh:

so, about those montreal fans (and even more likely the media)... i wonder if they'll scare off huet or some of potentially important candidates for our team. I would hope not.

I know that I would certainly struggle with the microscopic observation and scalpel-like dissection of my play and life as a player for the team that I love.

It would make me think twice.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

not to change the topic but....

i find it amazing how a topic starts on one specific issue and then veers into a wide range of possibilities (some of them actually related). :huh:

so, about those montreal fans (and even more likely the media)... i wonder if they'll scare off huet or some of potentially important candidates for our team. I would hope not.

I know that I would certainly struggle with the microscopic observation and scalpel-like dissection of my play and life as a player for the team that I love.

It would make me think twice.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Isn't that the fact of life. You plan your life out one way but you have to adapt when certain situations pop up and things change, people change and of course a post on a message board change.

Now back on topic:

The Media won't scare off Huet unless they stalk him 24/7, same goes with potential free agents. I hope the media has learned this from chasing a famous player who I believe is now the coach of the team on a golf course back in the 90's. ;)

Isn't that the fact of life. You plan your life out one way but you have to adapt when certain situations pop up and things change, people change and of course a post on a message board change.

Now back on topic:

The Media won't scare off Huet unless they stalk him 24/7, same goes with potential free agents. I hope the media has learned this from chasing a famous player who I believe is now the coach of the team on a golf course back in the 90's. ;)

Ithink that corey totally over reacted on that topic.

imagine if was chelios who gave the finger to the cam.

i have american friends but man, ###### America

any country that re-elects a man like george bush and all he represents deserves to have its national anthem booed....p p p period

and if that really disgusts you, then you should open your goddamn eyes and take a look around at the cosequences of bush's america upon the world, now that is disgusting....but obviously you cant see past the simplicities of puck gets dropped, whacked by stick, he shoots he scores, uhhhhhhhduuhhhh hahahahaha

Really uncool to boo a nations anthem. No need to discuss it at all as there is no defence that justifies doing it.

What I get a kick out of is the USA USA chant from the Buffalo crowd. Are they that unaware of the nationalities of thier players? Although they have 5 Americans on thier team, believe me, the others players aren't playing for the glorification of thier nation.

Bottom line, this is hockey, not global politics, the 2 need not meet.

Want to cheer for your country? Do it at the Worlds, Jr Worlds, and Olympics. Oh, and don't forget the under 18s and womens. Great hockey and a perfect chance for flag waving. One rule though, respect your fellow fans home nations.

i have american friends but man, ###### America

any country that re-elects a man like george bush and all he represents deserves to have its national anthem booed....p p p period

and if that really disgusts you, then you should open your goddamn eyes and take a look around at the cosequences of bush's america upon the world, now that is disgusting....but obviously you cant see past the simplicities of puck gets dropped, whacked by stick, he shoots he scores, uhhhhhhhduuhhhh hahahahaha

Umm, maybe not everyone voted for G.W. Boo the anthem all you want at a truly international event, but leave the NHL and it's multinational teams alone. I'm starting to get sick and tired of the anti-American sentiment, and the defense of it, on this board. :angry2: :puke:

Umm, maybe not everyone voted for G.W. Boo the anthem all you want at a truly international event, but leave the NHL and it's multinational teams alone. I'm starting to get sick and tired of the anti-American sentiment, and the defense of it, on this board. :angry2: :puke:

Well then what to do you call an american that has anti-american sentiment?

If you're an american with anti-american sentiment that's fine. But I assume it's toward the establishment that's in power, and not a generic "americans suck" feeling. I'll reiterate what I've said before, this is a hockey board. I'd prefer if hatred, not only towards the country I reside in, but towards others as well was left unsaid and we stick to what the forums were created for.

Well its kind of 'americans suck' feeling but thats mainly due to me living in the midwest and having west coast values in a state where if you're not an ultra conservative you're doomed to eternal hell. I basically dispise the social conservative movement. I feel like a lamb among wolves down here. Not a fun place for me to live.

My Grandpappy God Rest His Soul told me never to judge a man unless you walked in his shoes. I will never boo or talk in degrading terms of anothers nationality or beliefs. We are all different and have unique ideals and beliefs and walk spiritually in different ways. Playing national anthems at games should be done 1/2hour to 45 minutes before the game (Similar to the NFL and NBA) as it does not have anything to do with the game except get a rise out of the attendees.