Kovalev Vs Gainey

Habby1197

that was nice of the interviewer to ask that kind of question right after the team gets eliminated.

btw, Gainey said that after game 4 or 5. there was nothing new to it.

and i want him to stay for the remainder of his contract.

and i agree that he was STUCK with Ribeiro and Bulis. that was our 2nd line? i'm guessing Gainey was hoping he'd jumpstart their productivity. now give him some players to play with. for real, this time.

Wellhe wasn't stuck with Ribeiro and Bulis. Infact he started the year with Koivu.

He also had playing time with Plekanec and Perezhogin. Not saying revolving linemates is a good thing, but this all can't be blamed on Ribeiro and Bulis. Kovalev is a guy we expect to make other people better. Especially for $4.5 Million a year. But that didn't really happen.

Yea, that's a good idea, trade the most talented player the habs have. That will make them better. Trade Ryder too, then the habs will never score. Kovalev needs NHL talent to play with him, Bulis, although a good checker has no business on a line with kovalev, neither does Ribiero.

Motsly we need to find players that will complete Kovalev well, the same way we need to find players that will complement Koivu well.

I think we can agree that Higgins completes Koivu quite well. He's got some speed, can get the puck from the corners, has good hockey sense, and is able to get himself open for a Koivu pass. On the other wing, I think we need a guy with more natural skills to complete Koivu and Higgins' efforts, and I believe that Kostsitsyn would be well suited for the job. If he needs some time to adjust, I also liked Perezhogin on that line when Ryder missed a game at the end of the season.

As for Kovalev, he needs players who will create more space for him on the ice. If don't make make any trade, I think a player like Plekanec could do a good job alongside Kovalev, while I believe the best winger would be Latendresse. He's physical, he could crash the net more (therefore forcing defensemen to pay more attention to him, thus freeing some space for Kovalev). However, I'm quite positive he'll be sent back to the juniors again, so I guess Ryder would play the shooter role there instead.

Higgins-Koivu-Perezhogin

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Kostsisyn-??Bonk??-Ryder

Not too bad... although in that scenario, I don't have any [good] idea for the 3rd line center. A year ago I would have said Bonk, but he was just awful offensively this season... we really need another top 2 center! Unless Chipchura works very hard this summer, and gets a monster camp... but I wouldn't count on that...

What Gainey needs is some trading partners who'd be willing to take Ribeiro (to atleast get soemthing for him) and Bonk off Montreal's hands.

As for Kostitsyn, I don't think you can count on him for a whole lot next year. It'll take him atleast a whole season to adjust to the NHL. Maybe he breaks out in 06'07 but thats unfair to ask. '07'08 is more realistic for him.

What Gainey needs is some trading partners who'd be willing to take Ribeiro (to atleast get soemthing for him) and Bonk off Montreal's hands.

Milbury's been replaced - he was our only hope!

Milbury's been replaced - he was our only hope!

Yeah thats too bad. Mad Mike was always up for a good fleecing. Too bad Boston's in our division. I imagine Beregeron could be had for (whats the equivalent of Sturm, Stuart and Boyes???) Zednik, Rivet and Perezhogin? That would be sweet.

not for nothing, but i thought milbury still had a lot of pull....

i like bergeron, but he's said some things that really sour me... of course a few goals would erase all of that. Not that I think it is likely (nor is any given trade likely), but remember how gainey was able to acquire bonk from ottawa. I wonder wither the 3-way trade in the cap era?

i like bergeron, but he's said some things that really sour me... of course a few goals would erase all of that. Not that I think it is likely (nor is any given trade likely), but remember how gainey was able to acquire bonk from ottawa. I wonder wither the 3-way trade in the cap era?

Sure three way deals happen all the time in the Salary Cap Era. Just check out the NBA.

And I think Milbury still has some control on Long Island. He was suppose to kick around for awhile to watch over things. Not sure what kind of pull he has though

I agree no need to bash Kovy, I heard the post game interview after the game and the only emotion I sensed from Kovy was that he was PISSED OFF they did not win the series!

I like you lines Cerebus!

Kovalev and Koivu playing with all youngsters who will no doubt be better players next season.

I like you lines Cerebus!

Kovalev and Koivu playing with all youngsters who will no doubt be better players next season.

Thanks. I think both of them, Koivu especially, like to play mentor to young skilled players. We saw how well Koivu and Higgins were getting along both on the ice and on the bench. That way, they get to be the center of the show, they get to play their own game, and they get credit for making the kids look good.

As for the roster, we could always make a big trade for one of the top picks so we can get Jordan Staal who could perhaps be ready as soon a snext season... like that's gonna happen :wacko:

If you want to blame anyone blame Cam Ward.

I blame that *&@@##!!!$*)_! Justin Williams. I hope he doesnt score another goal this season.

Wellhe wasn't stuck with Ribeiro and Bulis. Infact he started the year with Koivu.

He also had playing time with Plekanec and Perezhogin. Not saying revolving linemates is a good thing, but this all can't be blamed on Ribeiro and Bulis. Kovalev is a guy we expect to make other people better. Especially for $4.5 Million a year. But that didn't really happen.

This is what I meant, though everyone has concluded and reacted with much eye rolling and disdain to my original post. Yes, Kovy may be our most talented player, but that that is in POTENTIAL. I still stand by my words: He's done and a waste of 4.5 in these salary cap years is an unbelieveable burden. A mercurial personality and player all his career who really isn't interested in mentoring or making others around him better.

You can hope and pray that he is the scoring winger this team needed for the last decade, but he isn't...not at this juncture in his career.

Berger hates the Habs, he grew up a Nordiques fan, and has said on several occasions that beating Montreal was some of the happiest moments of his life.

Fortunately there haven't been many of them :P (especially the past three games - 3 big fat goose-eggs!)

This is what I meant, though everyone has concluded and reacted with much eye rolling and disdain to my original post. Yes, Kovy may be our most talented player, but that that is in POTENTIAL. I still stand by my words: He's done and a waste of 4.5 in these salary cap years is an unbelieveable burden. A mercurial personality and player all his career who really isn't interested in mentoring or making others around him better.

You can hope and pray that he is the scoring winger this team needed for the last decade, but he isn't...not at this juncture in his career.

Ok you gotta remember he missed about 2 months of the season after knee surgery. Its probably not too much of a coincidence that right around that time we started a big slide. He came back from that and still led our team in scoring. And also in an earlier post you said he only had 23 goals. but then you said he isnt interested in making others around him better but he was second on our team in assists? Some how im missing your logic here my friend.

Yack, yack, yack, yack....

Isn't it wonderful how some media individuals have the drive, focus and ability to create and/or build stories for the sake of their own agrandisement?

This and the whole Koivu front page personal life intrusion thing continues to confirm for me that my disdain for the newsmedia is well placed.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Funny how Gainey mentionned in his press conference that Kovy was great at mentoring young russians on the team...

Kovy is awesome and far from being a waste of money. Look how bad we struggled when he was injured in the season and how we couldn't win a game after his knee got injured in game 2 in the playoffs...

You have no clue what you're talking about....

Funny how Gainey mentionned in his press conference that Kovy was great at mentoring young russians on the team...

Kovy is awesome and far from being a waste of money. Look how bad we struggled when he was injured in the season and how we couldn't win a game after his knee got injured in game 2 in the playoffs...

You have no clue what you're talking about....

Ah, yes, we all have our opinions, don't we...I really don't care what Gainey has said about Kovy, but maybe Kovy has matured, maybe he is more willingly to work with the younger guys, maybe I am being too harsh on him...I can admit to that, that Kovy's past has imbued my perspective on him. But at the same time, let us not all forget his age, how he is nowhere near the level he was many years ago, yet still getting a huge junk of change for a team in transition.

We all want this team to be competitive, to win, but at this time with all this young talent, I think Kovy's salary can be placed to better uses than a aged former-star. Maybe I'm looking longer term than the short term, mediocre second round playoff bounce that makes everyone feel good. (Which, in my cynical mind is what Kovy's signing really was.)

In another three years or so after Kovy is gone, are we really going to look back and say, 'Wow, that guy really made a difference?' We got rid of one bloated contract of an aging bum in Theodore, we just have to wait for another.

Edited by joliat

• 2 weeks later...

Kovalev may be overpaid a bit, but his skill has value to Monteal. If you want goals you have to pay sometimes and he was Montreal's target to resign. PLUS, he wants to play for Montreal which is good. Attitude and willingness to help teach will help Montreal's younger players also has value.

Kovalev can only do so much when he has no superstars playing with him. Look at Sundin in Toronto, he has no-one capable playing on a line with him and Toronto fans want Sundin's head on a platter.

Koivu and Kovalev do not look comfortable together where Higgins and Koivu look like a good combination. Montreal just has to find within the organization for someone to play centre for Kovalev and he will be fine. Or, try and get Marc Savard or Robert Lang as an example. Not a big issue just have to have faith that this will be worked out for 2006/2007 season.