One Problem - Generation Gap

Amidst the general tone of optimism about the Habs' future, one problem is bothering me. Both Koivu and Kovalev - our two best players - have, perhaps, three prime years left. Another core guy, Rivet, maybe has four or five (his style of game seems more suited to longevity). As good as our prospects are, most of them realistically won't be reaching their full potential for another 2-3 years. This means that the young guns will be coming into their own just as our major players are sliding off the radar. Now that's fine IF one of those young guys turns out to be a legit 1st line centreman...but I guess I'm just worried that the generation gap may mean that what we think of as the 'core' of this team may never really contend...which would be a real shame, especially for Saks.

Or maybe I'm making mountains of molehills. You decide.

Amidst the general tone of optimism about the Habs' future, one problem is bothering me. Both Koivu and Kovalev - our two best players - have, perhaps, three prime years left. Another core guy, Rivet, maybe has four or five (his style of game seems more suited to longevity). As good as our prospects are, most of them realistically won't be reaching their full potential for another 2-3 years. This means that the young guns will be coming into their own just as our major players are sliding off the radar. Now that's fine IF one of those young guys turns out to be a legit 1st line centreman...but I guess I'm just worried that the generation gap may mean that what we think of as the 'core' of this team may never really contend...which would be a real shame, especially for Saks.

Or maybe I'm making mountains of molehills. You decide.

We already have a good team, A few changes and trades along with the kids coming in. It's all good, In two or three years we'l have a team with great rookies, seasoned veterans and the ones who will take their place right beside them.

We are in a good spot. We will cover the board. Who knows, Carey Price may be the back-up of Huet and come in to save a series and win the cup in his rookie season.

Then again he might not.

Do not agree. Some player blossom fast. Forwards tends to do so. Higgins, Plekanec and Perezhogin should be there in a 3 years time.

Kostitsyn the older and younger are 4-5 years away. Komisarek could realize his potential the very next season. Kyle Chipchura could be a Ryder-type who learns fast. That's my impression.

With using the Theodore-money right in the offseason this shouldn't be an issue.