Gainey's Press Conference - Friday 10:00 Am

shortcat1

RIS (a branch of RDS TV = French TSN) announces that it will be airing a press conference by Bob Gainey tomorrow (Friday) at 10:00 am.

From what I understand, he's supposed to be meeting with each player individually before that (today, I imagine but I'm not sure on this one).

I don't know what insights will be made available during the press conference (not many, I expect) but it should be interesting.

The only problem for a number of the guys/gals here is that the interview will be done on a French network so that when he (and Carbonneau?) responds to questions in French, you won't be getting translated subtitles. In English, all you'll have to do is to ignore the French captions.

I'll be at work at that time so, if I think of it, I'd like to record it.

Any previews? Any ideas?

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Well I imagine the jist of it will be that he's pretty happy with the way things went over the year.

He's happy with how the defense player, and excited about the future with the development of Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins, and the future addition of Andrei Kostitsyn.

What he's not going to say is that Montreal's offense needs an upgrade and they are going to do everything to resolve that issue.

What he's not going to say is that they'll go out and sign an UFA or two.

What he's not going to say is what the immediate future is for some players, i.e., Ribeiro, Bulis, Sundstrom

Infact I wouldn't even waste my time watching the press conference.

He'll keep it simple, he'll say that the Habs had a good season. He'll mention that he liked the development of the young guys and that there are other youngsters doing well.

And he'll deny any rumour and won't give names of UFAs or staff or anyone that is staying or leaving.

uh... i don't think this will be an exclusive RIS press conference, though, shortcat1 :)

so, as with all press conferences, there will be both french and english translations.

I agree with you. It's just that on RDS TV, they keep mentioning RIS - their sportsnews channel - as the ones who will be carrying it. The implication is that RDS will be carrying it also. :)

I would hope that an English channel (TSN?) will be carrying it too. We'll see. :?-

Anyway, my VCR won't record it - our RDS TV is on 507 but my VCR won't record past channel 125. :(

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Actually, Robinson has excelled as an assistant coach in the past. He never wanted to be the head coach, but when the news about Pat Burns cancer came out, Lou Lamoriello went to Robinson as the team's head coach. Larry doesn't handle the pressure of a head coach's position, but mark my words he will return to the NHL someday as an assistant again. I personally think he would work well with the Habs defence, although he and Sheldon Souray didn't see eye-to-eye in the past.

The rumours have Kirk Muller as the next Habs assistant coach. That would bump the coaching staff's Stanley Cup and captaincy totals each up by one. An impressive feat by itself.

Robinson as asst coach would be nice. Except for the fact he broke up in New Jersey. If he can't handle New Jersey, how would handle Montreal?
Edited by habscout

Team 990 isn't carrying the press conference instead they have some idiot talking about sweaters???

they said the press conference is mostly in French, like Montréalers don't understand French. So the idiot is blabbing on and on and on, WTF!!!

is it anywhere on the internet in french?

all morning they were saying that they were gonna be carrying the entire press conference blah blah blah, and we get people not even talking about sports? ....yeah...that makes sense....

How can they not have their own microphone plugged in there?

oh well....guess we'll have to wait for the replays on RDS tonight...

wow - this is real disappointing about 990 - NOTHING Habs at all while a press conference is going on ... or is over by now

some MONTREAL SPORTS station :puke:

I just wrote an email to 990 complaining (nicely).

I just wrote an email to 990 complaining (nicely).

here's Wayne Bews reply and a copy of the email i sent to the station...

Rob

thanks for the email, I as well was a little disappointed, we are unable to pick up PC live from the Bell Center and typically would pick up the RDS feed, but they did not cover it and RDI was using a translator. Tony Marinaro did get on the minute the conference was over. Hope we do better next time...and keep listening.

Wayne Bews

General Manager/General Sales Manager

THE TEAM 990 Montreal

www.team990.com

Tel: 514.931.4910

Fax: 514.931.4079

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:40 AM

To: Team990 Write To Us

Subject: Habs press conference?

I was very disappointed … surprised even to hear NOTHING about the Habs press conference on this station while the PC was going on. Instead, listening to ‘entertaining’ conversation that I can get from just about any station on the dial.

Oh wait … it’s 10:37 and PJ Stock just said he’d give an update on the PC … only it’s not NEWS anymore – and not anything I can’t learn from any other station!

Needless to say, I’ve learning that 990 isn’t the best station to turn to in order to get the latest info.

Rob

Why did RDS choose to direct this fairly big-ticket item to RDI or whatever it is? What's wrong with those turds? I'm already paying to get their station via digital cable PURELY for the purpose of getting Habs info; now I gotta shill out for another service, or what? F**kers.

Welll it was nice to hear some of the quotes from Gainey et all.

"But, while Gainey gave a nod to his predecessors, Rejean Houle and Andre Savard, and said the team would develop its young talent, he said the Canadiens would be active in looking for free agents.

"Thanks to the tremendous support from our fans, we have the money to compete with any team," Gainey said. "Where I think we have an advantage is in the environment.

"There are other places players can go, but I don't think there's a better place.

"People care here and if you're a player who cares, this is the place for you. If you're looking for spice, we have it here."

"As for the players in the system, Andrei Kostitsyn might get a shot next season, but while Gainey had kind words for J.P. Cote, Maxim Lapierre and juniors Kyle Chipchura and Guillaume Latendresse, he suggested that they could all use more time on the farm."

The coaching staff was top-heavy with defensive forwards and there have been suggestions that the Canadiens would look to a defenceman (Larry Robinson?) or an offensive type (Kirk Muller?).

Edited by kaos

Sounds like this free agent summer will be fun for us habs fans.

Gainey back to his GM duties where he can make this team great.

Lets just hope Carbonneau can handle the head coach job.