Maxime Boisclair

JLP

130 points in 70 games this season in the QMJHL.

And never mind the draft, isn't he there for the taking after being passed over twice -- can anyone shed light on his status?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still wondering why nobogy as signed him yet...

he as the size to play with the big boys...

"Boisclair the Habby"?

I have heard his skating is not great but he loves the game and gives his all every shift, so why not pick him up as a spare part he knows how to put the puck in the net when he gets his chance, so he could also get some PP time -- anyway a young guy and he's one of the best scorers in the Q (and a Haitian *wow!* plus he can speak French) why the hell not pick him up for league minimum?

"Boisclair the Habby"?

I have heard his skating is not great but he loves the game and gives his all every shift, so why not pick him up as a spare part he knows how to put the puck in the net when he gets his chance, so he could also get some PP time -- anyway a young guy and he's one of the best scorers in the Q (and a Haitian *wow!* plus he can speak French) why the hell not pick him up for league minimum?

Why should speaking french be important? Don't tell me ever since the Nordiques left everyone in Quebec wants every player to be french? Yes it would be good for the Haitian community in Montreal but I don't see why its a big deal that he speaks french. This is a hockey team which is there to win not fill som quota. Sounds like the Bloc or somebody is running the team.

I missed it.

The Francophone media has a seperatist agenda. Saku is a human being and they are treating him like dirt. Saku is the Canadiens and Montreal's Lance Armstrong and the francophone media only cares if you speak in french. How pathetic. All this man has done for the city and all you care about is french. I just don't get it.

I figure Boisclair can be about the same player as Ryder except with more potential. They're similar players except that Ryder was a grinder in juniors and Boisclair is lighting it up.

Pierre, that sounds like pontificating -- this thread is about Boisclair. Jeez.

Yeah it probly is. At the end of my little rant I was going to say I don't get it but then again I'm not a Quebecer so its not my place. Then I looked up Gilles Duceppe's name because I always get his last name wrong and I found out that he has BRITISH ancestory and I completely forgot about the little I shouldn't get into this conversation because it not my place line.

I figure Boisclair can be about the same player as Ryder except with more potential. They're similar players except that Ryder was a grinder in juniors

??!!

he should get back to his roots :lol:

Boisclair wasn't doing anything until Lascek and Zagrapan came into the picture. Also, he's not the first overager to light it up in the juniors; he's an adult playing with kids.

I guess Montreal could invite to their training camp; that doesn't cost anything. However, I wouldn't expect much out of him.

Pierre, that sounds like pontificating -- this thread is about Boisclair. Jeez.

Not really - he asked a legitimate question because someone in the thread noted the advantage of the french language aspect of signing a player such as Boisclair.

Unfortunately the french media have adapted an agenda of their own, especially when it comes to Koivu.

In the end all I want is the Habs to win a Stanley Cup - and I could care less if the whole lineup is made of of little green Martians, or covered in little purple spots.

The point in the end is really if Boisclair is good enough to play in the NHL, regardless of language spoken.

And there have been a lot of 100+ point players in junior who didn't make it in the big leagues, and they've come from all kinds of different cultures......

Is he just another one of these, or is he good enough? Haven't seen him so can't comment!

Exactly. I don't care if they are french. Although it is cool that a lot of the team is french I don't care. I want to win. What the french media is doing is playing politics. They are saying that the captain of the team must represent Quebec. Which is total bull. The Canadiens do not represent anyone but there fans and owner. The Canadiens are not a 'national' team. This is my beef.

of course... and to some degree this aspect of the canadiens creeps a lot of people.... but you have to see that to some extent the canadiens are a national team.... in a manner of speaking... to many people... and to others it can sometimes be a symbol of english power vs. the french majority. Not to say any of this is right, and everybody in every place likes a hometown star and montreal (thanks greatly to the territorial rights system) have had a bevy of them over the years and perhaps got a bit spoiled in that regard.

First of all guys, I'm french, I live in Montreal and I don't care if the players speak french or not. But, given the fact that a majority of their fans are french quebecers living in the province of Quebec and that there is a very strong french media coverage, it is very useful for the team to have french speaking players. Given the choice between 2 players of equal talent, I would take the french one, because he also brings marketing value.

Please try and understand for you not living here, the "language war" in Quebec is old and will never go away. Kind of like the Palestinians and Israel, it will never end. French quebecers are proud of their culture and origins and they want to protect that. It is not an easy thing to do when you are in an english surrounded environment for over a century. Some are too patriotic and act in stupid ways sometimes, but it is not the majority.

As for the french media, please stop saying that they are on a french war path. Only a few journalists, amongst the many that cover the Habs, are causing these problems, but the majority love Koivu and don't care if he speaks french or not. Stop generalizing to the entire french media what only a few morons did.

In the end, wheter we like it or not, there will always be a few french quebecers on the team. They are very valuable and very needed marketing tools, and in most cases, they give an extra push in the playoffs (they are playing in front of friends and family in their home town). The crazy hockey mentality anf fever that montrealers have is partialy due to the media which is mostly fueled by the french speaking players.

There will always be a good group of french quebecers playing in the NHL, so it is not a hard thing to do to have a couple that are good and play hard. It is a fact of life, so yes, if a player speaks french, it is a plus for the team...so don't be surprised when somebody says "and he speaks french" about a player.

Looks interesting.

130 points during one season in the QJMHL is impressive. Born in 1985. What are the the GMs waiting for?

it seems maybe a thing where because nobody drafted him the jury has come back that he won't make it in the NHL (too slow, hands not great) so the GM's have just followed that reasoning and nobody is going to blink first. But 130 points this season! And what impresses me more is reports I've read say Boisclair plays his heart out every shift. We could use another Begin-type presence, plus this guy can really score when he gets the chance. And color me wonderful but how cool would it be to have a Haitian on the team? hehehe.

Boisclair is slow, poor skating/mobility and a bit on the soft side from the little I've seen of him. He was at the lighting camp last year but I heard that he didn't do well at all. Still I would think some AHL team will give him a try. Hamilton is really short on offense at the early stages for next season, so I would be all for giving him a look.

I guy I'd rather go for is Brent Aubin, he's a better skater, good wheels but doesn't have the shot that Boisclair has (and what a shot he has) plus he's on the small side.

Why should speaking french be important? Don't tell me ever since the Nordiques left everyone in Quebec wants every player to be french? Yes it would be good for the Haitian community in Montreal but I don't see why its a big deal that he speaks french. This is a hockey team which is there to win not fill som quota. Sounds like the Bloc or somebody is running the team.

Any team in any market with any sense gives local prospects a chance when they can...especially in this case as it will cost next to nothing. Besides are you not aware that the Montreal Canadiens have a tradtion of excellent French Canadian players: Morenz, Bellieveau, Lafleur, Roy etcetera.. ring any bells?

MB's speaking French is an added reason that BG should sign him because it would please local fans. And it would please me because the Habs have overlooked too many good local prospects in the past decade, much to their detriment.

MB's speaking French is an added reason that BG should sign him because it would please local fans. And it would please me because the Habs have overlooked too many good local prospects in the past decade, much to their detriment.

Wrong. Perhaps it should an incentive to invite Boisclair at training camp, but only if he does really well should Gainey think of offering him a minor league contract. However, as somebody mentionned, Boisclair participated at Tampa Bay`s training camo, and their pro scouts said that although they loved his work ethics, Boisclait doesn't have what it takes for the NHL.

Also, the Canadiens do make the effort to give the local players a chance. Every year they draft a few players from the Q, but unfortunately most of them are longshots; guys like Thiniel, Lambert, Dulac-Lemelin, Lacasse, Jonathan Gauthier, and Ferland had some potential, but never progressed enough to make it as NHL regulars. Hopefully, wel'll have more luck with Mathieu Aubin, Maxim Lapierre, and Philippe Paquet (he plays in the NCAA).

Edited by CerebusClone

being from Newfoundland and watching the habs all my life.. i dont thing any true fan of the habs care what lang.. they speak as long as the players play with pride when they got the jersy on. anyone that think that all of the habs fan are in Quebec your crazy.. every sat night in my basement watching RDS there are 10 newfoundlands watching the habs that dont speak a word of french. long live true habs fans..

GO HABS GO :hlogo: