Maxime Boisclair

JLP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howie Morenz was from Stratford, Ontario.... I didnt think he was french.

lol

Some people just have no clue. You think the nickname 'The Stratford Streak" would have rung some bells? lol

Who cares who speaks english or who speaks french? Its just small minority of the ignorant french media and community who really care about bilingualism.

As for this guy Boisclair. Obviously 30 GM's passed over him for a reason.

lol

Some people just have no clue. You think the nickname 'The Stratford Streak" would have rung some bells? lol

Who cares who speaks english or who speaks french? Its just small minority of the ignorant french media and community who really care about bilingualism.

As for this guy Boisclair. Obviously 30 GM's passed over him for a reason.

So, I made a mistake. So shoot me. Unlike some people on this board I'm obviously not perfect.

My point remains valid. The Canadiens should recruit French- Candian players to appeal to their biggest fan base. That's not to say that they shouldnt recruit the best player regardless of language or origin.

BTW, 29 GM's passed of Luc Robaitille " for a reason". Not to say that Boisclair will be that kind of player, but there is no risk in bringing the guy to camp and seeing what he can do.

When 30 teams pass you by it usually has some significant reason. However it will probably end up that some team will give him a tryout, or minor league contract at best.

Will the Habs do it - maybe. But under Gainey it won't be done because he happens to speak french.

He'll do it only because he has the potential to play.

The new NHL and salary cap era preclude regional or language driven politics - teams can't afford it economically. If he's good enough to play I don't give a damn if he speaks french, or not!

I dont care if a player speaks french, english or CHINESE!!!, as long as they are a good player whos willing to give their all to help the team!

:hlogo:

being from Newfoundland and watching the habs all my life.. i dont thing any true fan of the habs care what lang.. they speak as long as the players play with pride when they got the jersy on. anyone that think that all of the habs fan are in Quebec your crazy.. every sat night in my basement watching RDS there are 10 newfoundlands watching the habs that dont speak a word of french. long live true habs fans..

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

You must forget that a vast majority of the 872,193 paying customers this year are from around Montreal and speak french.

Personaly I don't care if the players speak french or not, as long as they work hard, but you guys need to stop witt this language thing.

French speaking quebecers are the #1 fan base for the Habs and the one that generates the most revenues for them, fact, like it or not. The Habs need to market to this important fan base and having a few french speaking players is part of it. It's not like the whole team as to speak french, but a couple doesn't hurt. How hard is it to have a few good hard working french speaking players, not that difficult, and some are probably willing to take a pay cut. There are advantages to french speaking players, you may not witness their importance from your location (where ever you are?), but they are very valuable marketing tools for the french media and their #1 fan base. It's part of the aura behind the Habs (Lafleur, Richard (2), Beliveau, etc.) and it's there to stay.

Now let's all take a chill pill about the language before this board becomes a language war.

For all Habs fan not living near Montreal, here are some facts:

- French quebecers are the #1 fan base of the Habs (they generate the most revenues)

- The french media is huge here and they are followed religiously by this fan base

- French speaking players are great for interviews and have a certain appeal for the french quebecers

- French speaking players are a unbelievable marketing tool for the Habs and there will always be a few on the team, I'm willing to bet the house on it.

The enthusiasm of the fans and the attachment for the team would not be as strong without it, or as magical as and unique as it is, I should say.

Go Habs Go !!!

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

You must forget that a vast majority of the 872,193 paying customers this year are from around Montreal and speak french.

Personaly I don't care if the players speak french or not, as long as they work hard, but you guys need to stop witt this language thing.

French speaking quebecers are the #1 fan base for the Habs and the one that generates the most revenues for them, fact, like it or not. The Habs need to market to this important fan base and having a few french speaking players is part of it. It's not like the whole team as to speak french, but a couple doesn't hurt. How hard is it to have a few good hard working french speaking players, not that difficult, and some are probably willing to take a pay cut. There are advantages to french speaking players, you may not witness their importance from your location (where ever you are?), but they are very valuable marketing tools for the french media and their #1 fan base. It's part of the aura behind the Habs (Lafleur, Richard (2), Beliveau, etc.) and it's there to stay.

Now let's all take a chill pill about the language before this board becomes a language war.

- French quebecers are the #1 fan base of the Habs (they generate the most revenues)

- The french media is huge here and they are followed religiously by this fan base

- French speaking players are great for interviews and have a certain appeal for the french quebecers

- French speaking players are a unbelievable marketing tool for the Habs and there will always be a few on the team, I'm willing to bet the house on it.

The enthusiasm of the fans and the attachment for the team would not be as strong without it, or as magical as and unique as it is, I should say.

Go Habs Go !!!

i know its nice to have a few guy that speak french on the team, for the media..i pretty sure a good marketing tool would be to win the cup, no matter what lang.. they speak. about guy willing to take pay cuts or wanting to play in montreal because they speak french are far and in between(Lecavalier). well i think it is bonus when you can get a guy that speak french but i dont think it should be a reason why we pick up a guy..that all i am saying.. the reporter that asked koviu if the captian should speak french is a dick..

well i love the Habs no matter where there from.

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

How many teams passed over Martin St-Louis?

That said..just because a person is French Canadian is no reason to sign them. The management of the club isn't stupid, they know what they're doing, and signing local prospects just because they're from the area, not because of any tangible skills, is a ridiculous idea.

It's one thing to have great French Canadian superstars, but this isnt the NHL of the 60's or 70's. The chances of Montreal landing any are fairly slim, based on drafting position. The past years saw poor drafting. And many French Canadian forwards who were touted as scoring machines were selected, such as Eric Chouinard, who never panned out, and Mike Ribiero, who did.

How many teams passed over Martin St-Louis?

That said..just because a person is French Canadian is no reason to sign them. The management of the club isn't stupid, they know what they're doing, and signing local prospects just because they're from the area, not because of any tangible skills, is a ridiculous idea.

It's one thing to have great French Canadian superstars, but this isnt the NHL of the 60's or 70's. The chances of Montreal landing any are fairly slim, based on drafting position. The past years saw poor drafting. And many French Canadian forwards who were touted as scoring machines were selected, such as Eric Chouinard, who never panned out, and Mike Ribiero, who did.

If Ribs had turned out like we all would have liked him to then he wouldnt be getting run outta town this summer.

:hlogo:

Go Habs Go !!!

Right. And you'll notice that the current Habs team has several francophones (Ribs, Dandenault, Begin, Huet, Bouillon) - although not all were born in Quebec - and a pur laine coach. Offhand, i can't think of ANY Habs team that hasn't had a number of francophones on the roster. (In fact, I find it interesting that it is nearly inconceivable that the Habs NOT have a francophone coach - Gainey being an obvious exception - when before Jean Perron that was not considered indispensable). What bothers me, I suppose, is not so much the logic of what you're saying, as the associations it triggers: namely, an underlying sense of grievance in some circles that the Habs somehow fail to have ENOUGH francophones. Even more absurd is the proposition, raised sometimes in the press when the team is losing, that they'd be a better team with more local French boys on the roster.

Anyway, as I say, it's less your argument than its associations. Yeah, the Habs should have some french players...just like practically every other NHL team.

Right. And you'll notice that the current Habs team has several francophones (Ribs, Dandenault, Begin, Huet, Bouillon) - although not all were born in Quebec - and a pur laine coach. Offhand, i can't think of ANY Habs team that hasn't had a number of francophones on the roster. (In fact, I find it interesting that it is nearly inconceivable that the Habs NOT have a francophone coach - Gainey being an obvious exception - when before Jean Perron that was not considered indispensable). What bothers me, I suppose, is not so much the logic of what you're saying, as the associations it triggers: namely, an underlying sense of grievance in some circles that the Habs somehow fail to have ENOUGH francophones. Even more absurd is the proposition, raised sometimes in the press when the team is losing, that they'd be a better team with more local French boys on the roster.

Anyway, as I say, it's less your argument than its associations. Yeah, the Habs should have some french players...just like practically every other NHL team.

I think that the ffench fans and media are desperate of having a great french scoring forward to identify them selves to, especially the kids. The french community here identifies itself strongly to french players, but they haven't had the chance to identify them selves to such a forward since Lafleur. They even had to settle for Carbonneau (not agreat scoring forward, but a great defensive forward) for a while.

Yes they had great french goalies to identify themselves to, but I think that they are fed up of it and want a scoring french player. Just look at the enthusiasm for Latendresse last year, there's no better proof to what I'm saying. If Latendresse can become a good powerforward that scores 40 goals, you will stop earing about a lack of french players on the team.

All this being said, the same reporter also took a shot at Gainey for the quality of his french. In my opinion, being an anglophone, born and raised in Montreal, this is taking it too far. The man was born in Ontario, played for the habs, played his heart out for the habs, learned the language to the best of his ability, which besides for the english accent, isn't too shabby, and they still decide that it's not good enough.

The bottom line is, as many have said before, there are a few out there that will never ever be satisfied with the number of french speaking players on the team. We could have an entirely french team, with a non-francophone back up goalie, and they'd be calling for a trade every day...

This argument will never die, and some will never be satisfied. It's better to ignore them for their ignorant comments, and continue to support the greatest franchise in hockey history, regardless of your mother tongue or place of birth!

GO HABS GO!

In the Journal de Montreal the other day they had a heading in the sports section (I didn't read the article because I was just waiting for my sandwhich) implying that Vinny Damphousse would not have done any worse than Bonk or Sundstrom; what's funny is that it comes from the same media that wanted Damphousse out of Montreal in the first place because he was finished, wasn't a real leader, and all the same crap we hear about Koivu today (minus the language issue).

They want star players (any origin) and francophone players, but when these guys are here they crap all over them; Koivu, Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon, Gilmour, and many more great players were all treated pretty badly by the media at some point of their career as members of the Canadiens organization.

This is one reason I am glad I don't live in Montreal so I don't have to hear about all the media shit, and who does and who doesn't speak english. Honestly, how many of us really care?

Its nice to be sheltered a little bit from it.

This is one reason I am glad I don't live in Montreal so I don't have to hear about all the media shit, and who does and who doesn't speak english. Honestly, how many of us really care?

Habs or no Habs - no one in their right mind should be glad they don't live in Montreal :lol:

Habs or no Habs - no one in their right mind should be glad they don't live in Montreal :lol:

lol...if only Kaos saw the girls here and how they dress, plus how amazing this town is, he would come crawling to Montreal :lol:

Montreal = best looking girls in North America (and no I'm not biased, I have travelled to be able to compare and it is a fact mentionned a-cross the world in tourist information, just check on the internet)

Trust me, the French does have it's positives

You don't have not be in Montreal to ignore all the negative press. I manage to do it in the heart of Montreal (which is one of the best cities in the world to live in for many reasons, beautiful women included).

If you wanted to keep in touch with all the negative press just learn french and google "La Journal de Montreal", or search for "110% sports Quebec", I'm sure you will find some bitchery ... but I'm not certain ... as I said, I try to avoid it. Actually, most of the bitching I read about players, coaches, teams, NHL etc. is on this site. But I am selective in what I read ;)

Come to Montreal in June-mid September and prepare for one of the better experiences of your life ... however you like to spend it.

With my 500th post I would just like to say..... *ahem*........ :lol: I LOVE THE CITY OF MONTREAL AND COULD ONLY WISH TO LIVE THERE SOMEDAY AND GO TO SEE THE GREATEST HOCKEY TEAM OF ALL TIME ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hlogo: -The-Habby2919

With my 500th post I would just like to say..... *ahem*........ :lol: I LOVE THE CITY OF MONTREAL AND COULD ONLY WISH TO LIVE THERE SOMEDAY AND GO TO SEE THE GREATEST HOCKEY TEAM OF ALL TIME ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hlogo: -The-Habby2919

Congrats soon, kiddo!

As to living in Montreal... I don't know if I'd want that - too big and nutsy traffic. It would be neat, though, to live about a half hour to an hour out of the city. Easy to go in and do stuff (like watch a game) and then get out.

:king: :hlogo: :king: