Which Free Agent Would You Sign?

Considering the salary, which would you pick?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Defenseman

• Wade Redden
    • Zdeno Chara
    • Bryan McCabe
    • Eric Desjardins
    • Kim Johnsson
    • Ruslan Salei (cheaper)
  2. 2. Top 2 line center

• Marc Savard
    • Jason Arnott
    • Matt Cullen
    • Mike Peca
    • Doug Weight
    • Jason Allison
    • Andrew Cassels
  3. 3. Scoring winger

• Teemu Selanne
    • Eric Daze (with bonuses)
    • Jochen Hecht
    • Peter Bondra
    • Brendan Shanahan
    • Valeri Bure (if proven healthy)
    • Patrick Elias

peca would be nice but he would be a 3rd line center. and I 'm sure the price will be really high for his contribution

No way, I'd rather have Arnott before Peca

Peca is known for not honoring his contract and holding out. Did it in Buffalo and in either Vancouver or NY.

Theres a reason he's been around the league. Hes an asshole

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perhaps...but he's gritty and we need tons of that. I too don't like the fact that he held out on two contracts

lI think souray or markov could be dealt even though I like them both. the more I see it, the more I see markov out of montreal... he's you're looking for the perfect trade bait..there he is.

Trading Markov would be the worst move since trading Roy. Markov is the team's best D-man. He has an eye for offense and is an excellent defender. He is one of the more under-rated guys in the NHL.

That being said, I agree that the Habs would be best served by getting a guy like Mitchell, Mara, or my hope Kubina. Chara or Redden would empty out all our remaining cap space, unless they could somehow swing moving Souray and Zednik for a top 2 line C.

At center, Arnott seems to be the best option for our price range.

At winger, I don't want anybody brought in. We've got Ryder, Kovalev, Higgins, Perezhogin, and Kositsyn, perhaps even Latendresse if he impresses at camp again. Winger where we already have the most depth. And as much as I'd love Elias, he's way out of our price range.

not if we get some good in return

So we'll give up our #1 defenceman for something good in return....

What? Other teams aren't going to trade their top 1 or 2 man for another one (unless it's problem related!)

And almost all one hears on here is the habs's desperate need for a better defence corps?

No, not a smart move when good defenceman are always at premium to start with.....

Souray and Markov will stay, unless Souray requests a trade for personal reasons?

Gainey knows better.

Smart managers don't send their top defenceman packing unless they are forced to, or the deal is so overwhelming they can't pass it up.

And forget the players like Plekanec or Perezhogin moving - the deal would have to be absolutely sweet to pry them away. A developing player with a seson already under their belt - not good management. That would start sending the wrong message to players. Here you go - a good year and we'll reward you by trading you away.

Successful mangement requires self-discipline and patience. Payoffs are rarely instant and require time spent in return.

Dream all you want about some deals, but the chances of them happening are slim to none. Gainey's too smart and far too deliberate for that to take place!

Edited by beliveau1

Trading Markov would be the worst move since trading Roy. Markov is the team's best D-man. He has an eye for offense and is an excellent defender. He is one of the more under-rated guys in the NHL.

That being said, I agree that the Habs would be best served by getting a guy like Mitchell, Mara, or my hope Kubina. Chara or Redden would empty out all our remaining cap space, unless they could somehow swing moving Souray and Zednik for a top 2 line C.

At center, Arnott seems to be the best option for our price range.

At winger, I don't want anybody brought in. We've got Ryder, Kovalev, Higgins, Perezhogin, and Kositsyn, perhaps even Latendresse if he impresses at camp again. Winger where we already have the most depth. And as much as I'd love Elias, he's way out of our price range.

I agree that trading Markov isn't a good idea, unless somehow we get another defenseman who's almost just as good, and in addition we get a good prospect or a good draft pick. This team won't really benefit from simply upgrading Markov, just like it wouldn't benefit by upgrading Koivu at center; we need to better support these guys, who happen to be our best defenseman and our best forward, not replace them.

However, if we are going to simply add an average defenseman like Mitchell, I'd rather stay as is. The defense is far from terrible as it is right now, and in my opinion we'll only improve by getting a top 3 defenseman who can be a major powerplay threat, which would bump either Souray or Dandeneault off the team (depending on team finances). Although I think a true defensive general like Redden could be the final piece of our puzzle (once some of the kids become regulars), a guy like Mara would also help.

The good news is that for the first time in several years, people in Montreal are discussing about what is missing to become a top in the NHL... instead of wondering how we'll manage not to hit rock bottom! It sure is a nice change :)

I agree that trading Markov isn't a good idea, unless somehow we get another defenseman who's almost just as good, and in addition we get a good prospect or a good draft pick. This team won't really benefit from simply upgrading Markov, just like it wouldn't benefit by upgrading Koivu at center; we need to better support these guys, who happen to be our best defenseman and our best forward, not replace them.

However, if we are going to simply add an average defenseman like Mitchell, I'd rather stay as is. The defense is far from terrible as it is right now, and in my opinion we'll only improve by getting a top 3 defenseman who can be a major powerplay threat, which would bump either Souray or Dandeneault off the team (depending on team finances). Although I think a true defensive general like Redden could be the final piece of our puzzle (once some of the kids become regulars), a guy like Mara would also help.

The good news is that for the first time in several years, people in Montreal are discussing about what is missing to become a top in the NHL... instead of wondering how we'll manage not to hit rock bottom! It sure is a nice change :)

Willie Mitchell is no average defenseman. On the Habs roster he'd be the best defenseman defensively behind Markov. It was either Kovalchuk or Ovechkin who actually said Markov was the toughest player one on one they had ever played againt.

He also moves the puck well and has a huge shot...which unfortunatley for him he never uses.

I would welcome Mitchell with open arms if MOntreal went after him. I'd let Bouillon walk if Montreal decided to go after him.

Willie Mitchell is no average defenseman. On the Habs roster he'd be the best defenseman defensively behind Markov. It was either Kovalchuk or Ovechkin who actually said Markov was the toughest player one on one they had ever played againt.

He also moves the puck well and has a huge shot...which unfortunatley for him he never uses.

I would welcome Mitchell with open arms if MOntreal went after him. I'd let Bouillon walk if Montreal decided to go after him.

He's a big defensive defensive with very little offensive upside. It's nice to a guy like that on your team, but he's not exactly a superstar either. Besides, we have a similar guy coming in soon, Ryan O'Byrne; huge frame, suprising mobility, and a huge shot as his only offensive tool...

Like I said, if we're going to make a move to slightly upgrade our defense, if at all, while paying more money for an established guy, I'd rather keep the current top 6 players we have. Within 2 years we'll have Emelin and O'Byrne challenging for roster spots, in addition to perhaps- if we're lucky or smart - another very good defenseman from this year's draft. I'm fine with that. What would really improve this team is either a true number 1 defenseman like Redden or very good offensive defenseman for the second pairing, which would take some responsabilities away from Souray, and send Rivet to the bottom pair.

Edited by CerebusClone

He's a big defensive defensive with very little offensive upside. It's nice to a guy like that on your team, but he's not exactly a superstar either. Besides, we have a similar guy coming in soon, Ryan O'Byrne; huge frame, suprising mobility, and a huge shot as his only offensive tool...

Like I said, if we're going to make a move to slightly upgrade our defense, if at all, while paying more money for an established guy, I'd rather keep the current top 6 players we have. Within 2 years we'll have Emelin and O'Byrne challenging for roster spots, in addition to perhaps- if we're lucky or smart - another very good defenseman from this year's draft. I'm fine with that. What would really improve this team is either a true number 1 defenseman like Redden or very good offensive defenseman for the second pairing, which would take some responsabilities away from Souray, and send Rivet to the bottom pair.

This team needs help now and Emelin and O'Bryne are years away if they develop at all.

Willie Mitchell would help this club now and would be a valuable additon. So valuable that I believe Dallas will sign him before JUne 26th or whenever the Free agency period begins

- It was Ovechkin who said Markov was the hardest player in the world to play 1 on 1 against.

- Mitchell is definitely above average. If we can get him or a guy like him then our defence is pretty much set and all it would take us is a top forward to become a contender, I think. Mitchell is a defensive rock. Mara would be even better. And Kubina even better than Mara.

- It was Ovechkin who said Markov was the hardest player in the world to play 1 on 1 against.

- Mitchell is definitely above average. If we can get him or a guy like him then our defence is pretty much set and all it would take us is a top forward to become a contender, I think. Mitchell is a defensive rock. Mara would be even better. And Kubina even better than Mara.

My pick for a D upgrade in our price range would be either D.Markov to compliment Andrei, or Kubina to make the corps better overall.

:hlogo:

Daze and Bure? How did they ever merit consideration? Daze's back problems have pretty much limited his potential, and Bure hasn't played at all this season. In addition, he was never that effective when he was in Montreal before, which is one of the reasons why he was shipped out. Second time around, I don't see things being much different.

I think it will be easier to get Elias out of Jersey than to get Selanne out of Anaheim, especially after the season he's had. I think Burke will re-sign him before the July 1st deadline.

Daze and Bure? How did they ever merit consideration? Daze's back problems have pretty much limited his potential, and Bure hasn't played at all this season. In addition, he was never that effective when he was in Montreal before, which is one of the reasons why he was shipped out. Second time around, I don't see things being much different.

I think it will be easier to get Elias out of Jersey than to get Selanne out of Anaheim, especially after the season he's had. I think Burke will re-sign him before the July 1st deadline.

I included Daze and Bure because they could be high risk (because of injuries), high reward players. Also, they would most likely sign for next to nothing. Daze was already a 30-40 goal sniper that if healthy would be in his prime; playing with a guy like Koivu, he could put up some huge career-high numbers. Also, he could also be a major threat on the powerplay.

As for Bure, as I mentionned previously, he could potentially rack up a lot of points with the new rule enforcement, and the will from the NHL to open up the game; he's definitely a guy that would benefit from less clutching and grabbing.

Not saying we should sign either of them, just that we could, so I included them of the poll.

Daze's done in the NHL, can't physically play. Similar to Deadmarsh situation last year.

I'd go after Pavel Kubina or Filip Kuba, proven top four guys but more economical. Jovo-cop, Redden, or Chara would be sweet, but way too much money. You never know, Rob Blake may be an option since Colorado is pressed up against the cap. And at this stage in his career, I don't know if he'll command more than 4mil.

I'd go after Pavel Kubina or Filip Kuba, proven top four guys but more economical. Jovo-cop, Redden, or Chara would be sweet, but way too much money. You never know, Rob Blake may be an option since Colorado is pressed up against the cap. And at this stage in his career, I don't know if he'll command more than 4mil.

Jovocop in Montréal? This guy will get burned in this city - he's known for his mistake prone defencive play. I'd love to get a shut-down guy ala Chara, man would it be sweet to have such a player on our roster.

Jovocop in Montréal? This guy will get burned in this city - he's known for his mistake prone defencive play. I'd love to get a shut-down guy ala Chara, man would it be sweet to have such a player on our roster.

Id rather have Redden over anyone else... but if we had to go cheaper, Id say Markov or Kubina.

:hlogo:

I can't believe no one has brought up Doug Weight. The guy was pretty good gets a ton of assists.

weight for 1M I wouldn't mind but I'm sure we could find a better player.

weight's prime's long gone and the guy's a none factor in these playoffs.

I'd rather have plekanec start the season on the 2nd line to see how good he really is

A month ago, Chara was my pick to fill the void on 'D'....but he looked very ordinary in the playoffs. So unless there's a good reason that he was hitting like a girl out there (playing hurt???), I have to question his heart.

Redden is definitely a much better choice than Chara. Chara'll be great but not worth the 7M he'll be asking for (and getting). Chances are very high that Chara leaves Ottawa but Redden stays.

Of that list, modifying my considerations, I'd suggest Salei or Johnsson

Johnsson may be a scary prospect in that he's had a head injury. Does someone come back from that kind of thing? He is the more talented of the players though not a defensive wall.

Salei is a team player. He's not a #1 or 2 defender but he does put his all in the game.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Salei is a team player. He's not a #1 or 2 defender but he does put his all in the game.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

so we don't need him, then. we got good #2 to #7 D men

we really need a #1 D man .

I can live with the fact that a guy makes mistake if he put 45- 60 points per year on D.

we'll a great goalie backing him

Why would anyone want a defensive liability in McCabe? Sure he makes a Powerplay shine with that shot of his, but this is going to be a one-year-wonder type of player. All you have to do is rush the guys at the point (Which Montreal did an excellent job against T-DOT their last two meetings) and you take away the shot.

Redden would look nice in a habs uniform and would be expensive. Chara outside of being big is not as good as Redden in my view. Montreal's "D" is not as bad as I thought it would be this year. They played a good season and actually did better than I thought they would. Kudos to the Habs defense this year.

I think Jason Arnott would do half decently in Montreal, just not the huge numbers as he is getting older.

so we don't need him, then. we got good #2 to #7 D men

we really need a #1 D man .

I can live with the fact that a guy makes mistake if he put 45- 60 points per year on D.

we'll a great goalie backing him

I disagree. We don't need a #1 d-man. We just need another top 3 to compete, imo. Maybe even another #4. Salei would complete our underrated defence nicely.

On offence I think we only need 1 75+ point C/LW added to our team. If we get those 2 players then I'll really like our team this season. And those 2 types of players aren't THAT hard to get - not to mention thta we can afford them.

Don't know about his status -restricted/unrestricted- but I would'nt mind seeing Ales Hemsky in a Habs jersey. I would sign Horcoff as well, if he was available.