Gainey And Carbo In Dallas

ESPN had a report that Carbonneau and Gainey are in Dallas right now and are pursuing Arnott. I don’t have the Link but the Gazette has a related article. This rumour is looking to have teeth to it.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...19f03ec&k=76625

From Arnott's perspective, it would make a lot of sense coming to Montreal. This is clearly an organization on the rise which plans to be contenders in the very near future, he knows the head coach as well as the GM very well (hopefully they had a good relationship) so there would be a feeling of mutual respect, and he would most likely get to play with a highly skilled player like Alex Kovalev, as well as one of Ryder, Perezhogin, and Kostsitsyn. Not bad for second line duties...

Despite all the rumors out there regarding Arnott, we shouldn't forget that the people making those decisions in Montreal know him very well, therefore if both Carbonneau and Gainey show a great deal of interest in Arnott this summer, I'm guessing that he can't be that bad; it's not like he's a big name free agent they've never seen before.

That seems odd that they'd be talking (rumoured) to any potential free agents this quickly. Just a week after being knocked out of the playoffs?

Too bad the Gazette article doesn't go on about Arnott but this "rumour" is popping up in multiple places. Please, if anyone has better related links or info, please attach to my post.

Well, you aren't going to get anyone in the Canadiens organization to admit anything (thus to be quoted in the media) as speaking to any free agent at this point in time is tampering.

That seems odd that they'd be talking (rumoured) to any potential free agents this quickly. Just a week after being knocked out of the playoffs?

At least he didn't start shopping Ribeiro around until the team was eliminated... or so we know :P

Well, you aren't going to get anyone in the Canadiens organization to admit anything (thus to be quoted in the media) as speaking to any free agent at this point in time is tampering.

I don't think it is tampering if neither team is still in the playoffs. Otherwise there would be nothing to tamper with.

Officially, it's tampering. Unofficially, Carbo is visiting his daughter and Morrow, probably, while Gainey is catching up with some of the many friends he has in the Dallas organization and the area. If they happen to come across Arnott and have a beer with him? Well, Bob's yer uncle.

I don't think it is tampering if neither team is still in the playoffs. Otherwise there would be nothing to tamper with.

I believe it is, since every team with free agents has exclusive rights to negotiate until June 26th, I believe. If players are talking to other teams, than the negotiation with his current team isn't exclusive. I realize this actually does happen, but it's technically not legal for a team to do so. That's why you never (until the free agency period starts) here a GM say that he is interested in a specific player.

Officially, it's tampering. Unofficially, Carbo is visiting his daughter and Morrow, probably, while Gainey is catching up with some of the many friends he has in the Dallas organization and the area. If they happen to come across Arnott and have a beer with him? Well, Bob's yer uncle.

Exactly! ;) :hlogo:

That article actually was printed days ago, probably before the Arnott rumour starting popping up. It wasn't printed today.

I would imagine Gainey and Co'c first priority is signing Huet. When/If he is signed, then they can dump Aebischer and sign Danis then move on.

If Huet can't be signed then you have to sign Aebischer and Danis and go from there.

Everything hinges on whether Montreal and Huet come up with an agreement

Not exactly on Huet, If he wants too much money then with Aeby can fill the role at 1.9 million. Danis can still back up. Aeby played just as well as Huet the at the end of the season. They can let Huet walk, trade or release Souray Zednick and Ribiero. Look through trades or signings to add 3 players. Arnott at 2 years wouldn't be a bad move.

Kovalev + Arnott...I wonder. One thing is sure is we need more fire power up front.

32 years old, 76 points this season with +/- of +13. Not too bad I think he could definitely fit well with Kovalev.But we need more! Lets go get Chara or Redden! :)

I like Arnott and think he would be a very useful player. But looking at his career numbers, 76 points is an aberration for him. Realistically, count on 20+ goals and 50+ points - Ribeiro-ish numbers, but with a whole lot of additional dimensions to his game (e.g., physical play, defence, leadership, guts).

I like Arnott and think he would be a very useful player. But looking at his career numbers, 76 points is an aberration for him. Realistically, count on 20+ goals and 50+ points - Ribeiro-ish numbers, but with a whole lot of additional dimensions to his game (e.g., physical play, defence, leadership, guts).

Size............... one thing that we could use a little more of on the team as a whole.

:hlogo:

Size............... one thing that we could use a little more of on the team as a whole.

:hlogo:

YEah that size only helps when he's actually playing. He misses on average about 10 games a year due to injuries. Then is usually banged up and not 100% anyways. He's probably going to get $4 Million to $4.5 Million a year from somebody. We already have Koivu and Kovalev at that price, and they don't score a point a game.

WE DON"T NEED ARNOTT

I agree with you, but can an arguement be made that he is playing better with the new rules??

I don't know much about his game, so I can't comment much about his capabilities, but I think it can be tricky this summer in evaluating players: is a succesful season a one-shot deal, is a breakthrough, is it great adaption? Is a bad season due to the lockout, bad adaption, one-shot deal or a sign of things to come?

This summer is the transition summer. Last year everyone was starting from scratch practically and next summer things will have settled down, but this summer is where management's big bucks will be earned. How to evaluate talent!

YEah that size only helps when he's actually playing. He misses on average about 10 games a year due to injuries. Then is usually banged up and not 100% anyways. He's probably going to get $4 Million to $4.5 Million a year from somebody. We already have Koivu and Kovalev at that price, and they don't score a point a game.

WE DON"T NEED ARNOTT

What about Yashin?? :blush:

I heard that the Islanders might consider buying him out just to get away from his contract.

Have he and Kovy played well together in the past in international play?? He's big, can score 30-70 pts and can probably come in for around 2-3m?

Arnott's numbers aren't that much higher than they have been throughout his career, and his slightly increased production is easily explained by more powerplay points. As somebody mentionned, he's at least as productive as Ribeiro, with all the added benefits. Actually, his career point-per-game production is pretty much the same as Koivu's and Kovalev's, even though he's spent several years as a 2nd line center.

Arnott would be a huge upgrade over Ribeiro, and would bring a dimension that has been missing for a long time here. Now, for all the negative comments we might hear about Arnott, I trust that Gainey and Carbonneau know this player better than any of the people who start these rumors. If indeed Arnott is difficult to manage, doesn't always show, etc... my guess is that they won't even pursue him... but if they do, Arnott isn't probably so bad. Gainey has pointed his finger to many players this season (Zednik, Ribeiro, Bulis, even Kovalev and Markov at times, ...), and I have to admit that he was right pretty much everytime.

As for injury problems, Arnott has been quite healthy for the last 3 seasons, including an almost full season this year. Perhaps, especially with the more open style of the NHL with less clucthing and grabbing, that it will be easier for players like Arnott and Koivu to avoid those little, but annoying injuries.

Some one spoke of tampering if we talk with Arnott before June 26. However, NOTHING PREVENTS GAINEY TALKING TO ARMSTRONG.

EXAMPLE:

Gainey: "Sign Arnott for 5 million".

Armstrong: "I can't, we'll be over cap and if not, another player will be lost. I'm still not sure if Arnott is in our future plans anyway. I haven't decided".

Gainey, "Doug, sign Arnott for so and so dollars and we'll make a trade". You might as well get something back".

Armstrong: "Now there's a plan, I'll get back to you".

It is possible.

Some one spoke of tampering if we talk with Arnott before June 26. However, NOTHING PREVENTS GAINEY TALKING TO ARMSTRONG.

EXAMPLE:

Armstrong: "I can't, we'll be over cap and if not, another player will be lost. I'm still not sure if Arnott is in our future plans anyway. I haven't decided".

Gainey, "Doug, sign Arnott for so and so dollars and we'll make a trade". You might as well get something back".

It is possible.

$5 Million? I don't think so. That would be a worse signing than the Theodore contract

EXAMPLE:

It is possible.

Doug Armstrong would become the NHLPA eneny number 1. Becoming an unrestricted free agent is a privilege for players as it gives them the freedom that most normal individuals have: the option to choose he he'll live and work. If a general manager was to resign a player just to trade him away after, he would be stealing that privilege away; the NHLPA would throw a huge temper tantrum.