Who Plays?

huzer

Alrighty, I think I've even asked here before, but with all of the new members, I was wondering who here plays hockey (or has played). I don't play as much as I used to, but still play/coach every Wednesday here. Just a rec league, but it's challenging to coach these folks, especially new goalies. I play floor hockey as well, and since there's an outdoor rink near my new place, I'll probably toss on the rollerblades as well.

I've managed to play every position, but I've moved back to defense, considering the lack of D I can find. At least people are afraid of my shot. Hehe...

I don't play hockey, cept w/ friends during the winter for fun.

However, I am in an organized floor-hockey league. I only discovered it last year, so I've got two full seasons under my belt. The first season I played as a D-man, and then this year I moved up to forward where I concentrated on crashing the net and winning face-offs (still working on that actually).

The league had 16 teams this season, so it was pretty fun/competetive.

I try to play a Steve Begin or Mike Komisarek type game... depending on which position I am playing, as I'm lacking in offensive skill. ;)

Floor hockey's a lot of fun. My league is a 4 on 4. I always move up to take faceoffs, then drop back on D. My style of play (both ice and floor) used to be a Nilan type of game, then evolved into an offensive set-up guy, and now I'm the big guy on the point. Passing/shooting are probably equally as good. Getting older has made me tone down the physical/aggressive play a bit, I used to be quite the ass to play against. If I can recruit some D for either team in the future, I'm moving back to C.

I only wish I played hockey. I played floor hockey while at college, but we only got to play 6-7 games a year. Now I've graduated, so I don't even have that anymore.

First season I started in goal, because that was always my favorite position. I only let in 2 goals my first game. My second game didn't go so well, as I was blasted both on the scoreboard and in the groin. Played forward for the rest of the season and the next 2 years, with little scoring success.

This last year, I stayed back on D and had my best season. Had a rough first game, but I played pretty well after that. Scored 2 goals in our playoff game when I was pinching since we were down, but we lost anyways.

Nobody on the team had any sort of experience playing, while most other teams had guys who played in high school. Needless to say, we only won 1 game in our 4 years.

Floor hockey's a lot of fun. My league is a 4 on 4. I always move up to take faceoffs, then drop back on D. My style of play (both ice and floor) used to be a Nilan type of game, then evolved into an offensive set-up guy, and now I'm the big guy on the point. Passing/shooting are probably equally as good. Getting older has made me tone down the physical/aggressive play a bit, I used to be quite the ass to play against. If I can recruit some D for either team in the future, I'm moving back to C.

Yeah, same for my league... mostly because we play in a gym which isn't exactly huge. Teams usually run with about 8 guys (4 FWDs, 4D) and 1 goalie. Really fun stuff.

My team hasn't faired to well over the passed two seasons though. Last season we had to forfeit in the playoffs because we only had 3 guys and a goalie... and then again this season for the playoffs the same thing almost happened but one of our guys showed up 10 min late, so we played with only 4 guys and lost 12-2. (once 1 team has a 10-goal lead, it's over)

http://www.lshl.net/Renegades_PlayerStats_Season4.html <---- I wear Mike Komisarek and Mark Recchi's #8

Claim to fame: I've never missed a game in two seasons (No one else on my team has done that in even 1 season... besides my goalie this season).

I play in winter, spring, summer, you name it. I stink at skating though so I'm always in net. It's alright though because I'm pretty good. I usually just have to go down to the rink at the end of my street and there'll be 20 guys there playing looking for a goalie so I've got all the equpiment and everything. I'm solid everywhere except for low blocker side. For some reason, I can't stop one thing down there.

I remember....grade 10, I took a puck to the throat on a wrister. They wanted to take me somewhere to get checked out since I'd already gotten a massive welt on my throat and couldn't quite breathe but we'd been playing an actual game. 3 20 minute periods and I'd faced something like 40-50 shots and stopped them all. and there was only 4-5 minutes left in the game. And dammit, I stayed in there and got my shutout. I had a huge bruise for a couple weeks though, looked like a massive hickey.

And I've always had a fascination with goalies. Most of my all-time favorites are goalies (with Patrick being my favorite of course. 10 posters of his up in my room with 3 Roy jerseys, 2 that are signed). So, you know, if anyone has a Jose jersey collecting dust...I'm always open for one. ;)

I played Rollerhockey for quite some years. We had a big group of friends getting it on very often. Also played some tourney's. Once made it to the Semi's. Playing against official teams, and we domenated them. (all in official uniforms, and we in our normal baggy clothes, it was quite a sight)Thinking about that, man those were the days! Playing hockey all day long.

I play in winter, spring, summer, you name it. I stink at skating though so I'm always in net. It's alright though because I'm pretty good. I usually just have to go down to the rink at the end of my street and there'll be 20 guys there playing looking for a goalie so I've got all the equpiment and everything. I'm solid everywhere except for low blocker side. For some reason, I can't stop one thing down there.

I remember....grade 10, I took a puck to the throat on a wrister. They wanted to take me somewhere to get checked out since I'd already gotten a massive welt on my throat and couldn't quite breathe but we'd been playing an actual game. 3 20 minute periods and I'd faced something like 40-50 shots and stopped them all. and there was only 4-5 minutes left in the game. And dammit, I stayed in there and got my shutout. I had a huge bruise for a couple weeks though, looked like a massive hickey.

And I've always had a fascination with goalies. Most of my all-time favorites are goalies (with Patrick being my favorite of course. 10 posters of his up in my room with 3 Roy jerseys, 2 that are signed). So, you know, if anyone has a Jose jersey collecting dust...I'm always open for one. ;)

I pretty much play the same way. Mostly in the summer though because most people that play are back from University, etc. Ive never taken one in the throught but i took a sonofabitch slapper in the nuts once.... couldnt walk for 3 days.

Oh I do have a Jose jersey.. Ill trade it for one of your Roy autographed jerseys....

Just kidding, if I had one of those I wouldnt want to part with it either.

:hlogo:

Ive never taken one in the throught but i took a sonofabitch slapper in the nuts once.... couldnt walk for 3 days.

LMAO :D

Never had the pleasure of that. Only thing i remember is getting a ball in my eye. I know i saw some stars for sure!(we were just playing around, and in the street we didnt wear any masks, cuz we didnt had them :king: )

Haha, yeah, thats why I own a cup.

Although I played defense one day because my equipment stunk so I didn't wear the cup. Got slashed right in the testes. Holy freaking crap, that hurt like hell. It was intentional too, the guy who did it got his ass kicked (not by me though, I was moaning and rolling around on the ground).

I'd pinned the ball along the boards and no one could get me off of it and no one was open so I just stayed there. One guy finally just stuck his stick inbetween my legs and brought it up as hard as he could. Was told if anyone saw him at that rink again they'd beat the crap out of him. Little shit.

I played up to the juniors.

Started in a club called RA73 and the best player on the senior team was Patrik Kjellberg. And there's the reason why I started to cheer for the Habs.

I have also played for Djurgårdens IF, the same team that has Jose Theodore in net during the lockout.

I played house league stuff when I was young. I had a goals for/against record of -1 (scored in my own net).

In university, I played some scrum games and finally got my goals for/against record to a face-saving +1 by scoring a couple of times.

As you can see, I was a rocket machine. :)

I don't play anymore - can't wear store-bought skates (they kill my feet) and won't spend the several hundred dollars needed to buy a pair of special-fit skates (heck... I can put that money down on a high-end hand-made guitar and enjoy using that year-round). :):):):)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I used to play floor hockey with a bunch of my friends, we'd rent a school gym every Sunday and go at it for a couple hours. Unfortunately, due to working on weekends this year, that fell apart, as no one else seemed to want to organize it. Oh well, now that school's over, I shall look into organizing some road hockey. When I do play, I usually play forward, although I used to be an awesome goalie before I had to start wearing glasses. It's a tad difficult to fit them under a mask and I can no longer see more than three feet in front of me without them. I've got a pretty good shot though, not hard, but very accurate, and I've got good speed and passing skills. Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to score on breakaways...

Just finished my 20th season of organized hockey. 18 years in goal. 4th season as a junior entraîneur des gardiens .

I stink at skating though so I'm always in net

-Jetsniper

Hey mec, I really don't like people who tell you, you should be in net if you are bad at skating. The only thing my little goalies do: skating, skating.. skating & skating.

Picked up rollerhockey last summer. In the summer, after work we all pick up our sticks and play till the sun goes down.

Eh, it worked out for the best, I love being in net now...actually, I always have. And my skating has gotten stronger now since I enjoy doing those saucer passes up the middle. I had to learn to get to the corners quickly if I wanted to do that. :P

I never got the hang of being a goalie. Whenever I'd play in a street pick up game I was always the worst skater because I'd always trip on the holes in the concrete so they would make me goalie. I came up on baseball background so when somebody shot the tennis ball or puck stick side I'd try to catch it with my glove. Stupid I know.

Hated those pick up games because I could never skate on street concrete it would slow me down and I couldn't stop. But when we went to the roller rink I was the fastest of the bunch. Go figure.

I play floor hockey at school. I was once the best goalie around but way too inconsistent so I stopped. Then this year I played a game because we needed a goalie - and I kicked ass. So I played a few more games and I was amazing for a couple of months. But then it just turned off and I couldn't stop a beach ball. Game after game I couldn't stop a shot. I couldn't hang on to a rebound, I couldn't stay square to the shooter, I couldn't make a save. I'm not sure how it happened but I'm sure if I tried again I would be great for a while and then suck again. I'm just way too inconsistent.

My style is similar to Jose Theodore's or Martin Brodeur. I rely on my reflexes. I'm amazingly quick but my positioning is awful. Every save looks like a robbery when I get it but I only get it on a hot day. I was also known for letting out huge rebounds but I never minded that - I love giving rebounds. To quote Glenn Hall, the only guys who don't like giving rebounds are the guys who can't make the first save. My favourite save was when there is a pass from one side to the other and I streth a pad out to eitherpost to shut the door. It's so fun to make but the rebound yuo give off it is trouble. :P

I practice forward at home almost everyday and I can really dangle (better than anyone I know lol) but with the heavy plastic sticks at school combined with the featherlight balls the ball always rolls off your stick so my offensive game is limited to a booming point shor and the rare flash of talent in a "landed" deke. Because of that, I prefer defence where I can hit people and I'm good at blocking shots, intercepting passes, poke checking and I rarely get deked 1-on-1. Playing D is simply the bets way for me ot look good without being able to stickhandle.

Well, that was a long analysis of my game. :D Longer than I intended anyway.

I never got the hang of being a goalie. Whenever I'd play in a street pick up game I was always the worst skater because I'd always trip on the holes in the concrete so they would make me goalie. I came up on baseball background so when somebody shot the tennis ball or puck stick side I'd try to catch it with my glove. Stupid I know.

Hated those pick up games because I could never skate on street concrete it would slow me down and I couldn't stop. But when we went to the roller rink I was the fastest of the bunch. Go figure.

May I say it again.... What's with the young Tommy Douglas pic? :?- :?- :?- :?-

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I was houseleague all the way. Mostly a defensive defenseman all my life until I made the Select team and that coach decided to convert me to a winger. After that I had one spectacular offensive season as a d man again, and won Best Defenceman for my age group (which in houseleague is like being the smartest kid on the short bus.)

All in all....I think I played about 12 years of hockey, won about 5 Most Sportsmanlike Awards, one "Unsung Hero" award, and the aforementioned Best Defenceman.

Now I only play about once a year in a local tournament and try not to embarrass myself.

I don't play hockey, cept w/ friends during the winter for fun.

However, I am in an organized floor-hockey league. I only discovered it last year, so I've got two full seasons under my belt. The first season I played as a D-man, and then this year I moved up to forward where I concentrated on crashing the net and winning face-offs (still working on that actually).

The league had 16 teams this season, so it was pretty fun/competetive.

I try to play a Steve Begin or Mike Komisarek type game... depending on which position I am playing, as I'm lacking in offensive skill. ;)

I'm more of a Ribeiro/Brisebois type. Without the talent, but with more heart and more fun :lol:

I'm more of a Ribeiro/Brisebois type. Without the talent, but with more heart and more fun :lol:

So in otherwords.... You sleep with a nightlight right?

I played hockey up through the ranks at what would now be considered AAA. At that time there was no draft at Junior A level - you were property of teams in your region. So I was scouted through the old Sudbury Wolves system, but was considered too small at 5-8 140lbs (I know it because my uncle worked with their head scout at the time.) Our final year of midget we had one of the best teams in all of northern Ontario - we were also heavily scouted by the Sault Greyhounds and the North Bay Trappers of the Provincial Jr A. If they liked you enough, you were given a try-out at camp in the fall. Several of the bigger players on our teams went on to play Junior and a couple of them went higher.

In those days you were usually property of an NHL team that sponsored a team in your area - usually because of a good player they had seen that they wanted to lock up. Any players in that minor system then became their's. We were in the Bruin's chain - uuuggghhhh! My hometown still wears their colours today.......

I was not a goal scorer as I played the game like Gainey did - defensive centre like Jarvis. I always played against the best line on the other team, and was assigned the role of shutting them down. Lot of heart but just too small to make the NHL.

Went on to coach at high level for several years, and then after a heart transplant in 1999(got my new heart from Montreal - how ironic?) I became a rep level team manager, until I finally packed it in last year.

Have won provincial championships and reached them several times, so I've had a bit of success coaching.

Have had a lot of fun in this game..... win or lose I've had a blast!!!!!!!!!!

I was houseleague all the way.

I'm with you there. At travel tryouts at the beginning of each year, my dad would make me tell the coach that I was just having fun and didn't want to make the team because of the time involved. I'm sure the coach thought to himself, "yeah, like YOU'D make the team anyway!"

In season, I still play pickup hockey every week, mainly because it's a fun way to get some exercise (offset by the beer afterwards). I fancy myself a sniper, always trying to hit that top corner... with mixed results.

Needless to say, this wealth of experience qualfies me to diagnose exactly what's wrong with the Habs in any given situation!