The Davinci Code

The-Habby2919

After reading this thread, I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read four of Brown's books (I don't know how many he's written altogether). Of the two I've read that centers on Langdon, I liked Angels & Demons better. What I really hate about his style of writing is all the cliff-hangers - every single chapter's got one! Pretty soon I got tired of that.

I'm not a religious person myself, so maybe I am now commenting on something I should keep my mouth shut about, but I think those who were offended by the book are way too touchy and sensetive. Particularly this about Brown's claim it's all based on facts... I don't buy that for a second. I think it's just a PR stunt, to make the book seem more authentic. My bet is Brown's laughing all the way to the bank.

I look forward to seeing the movie, but since I never go to the cinema, I'll wait for the DVD release.

I'm a Christian also. Would I go & see it? Likely. I'm not offended by stuff like that. It's just some story that has a pseudo-Christian content to it. I wouldn't take that aspect of it seriously. Big deal.
Seems to me like the smart way to approach the matter.

I've read four of Brown's books (I don't know how many he's written altogether). Of the two I've read that centers on Langdon, I liked Angels & Demons better. What I really hate about his style of writing is all the cliff-hangers - every single chapter's got one! Pretty soon I got tired of that.

I'm not a religious person myself, so maybe I am now commenting on something I should keep my mouth shut about, but I think those who were offended by the book are way too touchy and sensetive. Particularly this about Brown's claim it's all based on facts... I don't buy that for a second. I think it's just a PR stunt, to make the book seem more authentic. My bet is Brown's laughing all the way to the bank.

I look forward to seeing the movie, but since I never go to the cinema, I'll wait for the DVD release.

Seems to me like the smart way to approach the matter.

Well, it's not neccesarily based on "facts". Thats pretty much a lie and something Brown really shouldn't be saying. Some scientists however do have theories that he has based the book off of. Thats all they are though, theories. Nothing proven, nothing concrete.

Well, it's not neccesarily based on "facts". Thats pretty much a lie and something Brown really shouldn't be saying. Some scientists however do have theories that he has based the book off of. Thats all they are though, theories. Nothing proven, nothing concrete.

that's really some of the 'fun' of the book - within the book, he says everything therein is facts when really, once you open the cover, IT'S A NOVEL - just a work of fiction.

his theories aren't even good theories - his assumptions aren't even good assumptions. really, his book isn't even worth debating on a truth level - only on a literary level.

here's SOME examples of errors i've assembled ...

Constantine didn't 'collate' the Bible, it was almost a complete set by 150AD and Constantine is in 325AD ... and if Mary was sitting next to Jesus, how come there are only 11 other disciples, Judas is there, who did Leonardo 'forget' to paint? ... the description of Westminster Abbey is false ... there are 672 panes of glass on the pyramid ... Christians worshiped on Sunday by 100AD - well before Constantine ... the gospels don't hide Jesus' humanity - they celebrate it (in fact it is the Gospel of Thomas says that Mary is saved if she makes herself a male - wow - there is a statement for the advancement of women!) ... the Dead Sea Scrolls don't mention Jesus, they are Old Testament related ...

i can't believe i've had to learn all this stuff for my work ... but ... hey ... if you find it interesting, then enjoy!

that's really some of the 'fun' of the book - within the book, he says everything therein is facts when really, once you open the cover, IT'S A NOVEL - just a work of fiction.

his theories aren't even good theories - his assumptions aren't even good assumptions. really, his book isn't even worth debating on a truth level - only on a literary level.

here's SOME examples of errors i've assembled ...

Constantine didn't 'collate' the Bible, it was almost a complete set by 150AD and Constantine is in 325AD ... and if Mary was sitting next to Jesus, how come there are only 11 other disciples, Judas is there, who did Leonardo 'forget' to paint? ... the description of Westminster Abbey is false ... there are 672 panes of glass on the pyramid ... Christians worshiped on Sunday by 100AD - well before Constantine ... the gospels don't hide Jesus' humanity - they celebrate it (in fact it is the Gospel of Thomas says that Mary is saved if she makes herself a male - wow - there is a statement for the advancement of women!) ... the Dead Sea Scrolls don't mention Jesus, they are Old Testament related ...

i can't believe i've had to learn all this stuff for my work ... but ... hey ... if you find it interesting, then enjoy!

I know, I know, thats what I'm saying. He shouldn't say it's fact when he messes everything up so horribly. I still loved the book for what it was though (atleast what it was to me since it seems most people here thought it was mediocre garbage) a thrilling, fast paced work of fiction. One of the few books I absolutely could not put down.

I was actually lucky enough to read it for my novel study in Grade 11 a couple years ago.

Finished reading the book on Tuesday - just got back from seeing the film.

i enjoyed the book as a murder-mystery novel. of course i disagreed with the statements about Jesus & the Bible - but debating Brown on the Bible is foolish cuz it is too easy to prove that his facts are all screwed up - from a religious standpoint, an art standpoint, even a geography standpoint!

it's a work of fiction, and as a book & movie - i liked it. but - as a preacher, obviously i'll be preaching on the topic of the Bible & the Deity of Jesus in the next few weeks since it's going to be a hot topic for a while yet.

Nice, you finally did your homework. ;)

I loved the book but it seems the movie is getting terrible reviews. My friend also told me it sucks. I still have to see it though but only because it's the DaVinci Code.

I read the books last year. I will admit that I enjoyed reading them, although I was more than displeased after I did a bit of research into his "so-called" facts. I think that's what really put a bad taste in my mouth, especially seeing that the "primary fact" behind the DaVinci Code (Jesus' bloodline) is nothing more than a complete hoax and was disproved about fifteen years ago or so. I think if he had purported his ideas as "theories" instead of "facts," it would have given the book a better feeling, instead of making the reader feel ripped off. As for the movie, I have no intentions to go see it, it will be utter crap just like 99.9% of books-turned-to-film. One film I really can't wait for however, is Paris je t'aime. If anyone has had the opportunity to see it, I would love to hear your reaction.

Wow, all the boycotting did a WHOLE lot of good, lmao.

2nd biggest opening in history in the worldwide box office.

Yeah. You know who was special consultant to the P.R. department for the movie? Same guy that was consultant for the "Passion of the Christ" movie. Sony knew what they were dealing with here. They've just let the boycotting and bad religious press pour in without ever striking back; which was the mistake "Last Temptation of Christ" did and it bombed at the box office.

Funny you should mention that because I just read yesterday about Mel Gibson. He has a huge problem with the movie and apparently is furious at Hanks for doing it. But he doesn't want to say anything about it because thats just more free publicity. Smart way to go about it if you don't want anyone to see it, not all these rallys and crap.

• 2 weeks later...
Since it was mentioned in this thread, I thought I'd come here...

I just got back from Over The Hedge and I have to echo Koz's comments.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

"I WANT MY COOOOOOOO-KIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just too funny!

"I WANT MY COOOOOOOO-KIIIIIIIIE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just too funny!

When Ozzie got hit by the snow and fell over dead, I laughed hysterically.

"Err...Dad...it was just snow"

"It could've been a PREDATOR!"

The whole movie was hilarious though, Steve Carell really does steal the show. The laser pointer was awesome.

i saw over the hedge with my kids - it was great! really enjoyed it

fav part ... and of course the laser pointer - laughed my head off there, and i definitely identify with the caffinated squirrel - slo mo was the best!

Someone should turn this into a generic summer movie thread.

Anyone see The Last Stand? I went on Saturday. Not as good as Singers but as an X-Men fanboy, I was still impressed with it. Considering Ratner's resume, it could've been a lot worse.

i saw over the hedge with my kids - it was great! really enjoyed it

fav part ... and of course the laser pointer - laughed my head off there, and i definitely identify with the caffinated squirrel - slo mo was the best!

Everytime Hammy did or say something everyone in the audience was roaring. The laser pointer part got me in stiches.

HAMMY RULES!

*Hammy zooms one way*

It goes on forever!

*Hammy zooms another way*

It goes on forever that way too!

And when he was zooming by RJ and RJ had no clue what was happening and jumped behind a tree....

:lol:

*Hammy zooms one way*

It goes on forever!

*Hammy zooms another way*

It goes on forever that way too!

And when he was zooming by RJ and RJ had no clue what was happening and jumped behind a tree....

:lol:

- Let's call it "Steve"! :D

- Why "Steve"? :huh:

- Its a pretty name... :mellow:

Best part of the movie, "You're going to help me find my nuts??" HAHA Laughed my ass off for that one.

:hlogo:

Have read the book and was engrossed by it, but I will say that I enjoyed 'Angels and Demons' far more. The storyline moves at a much better pace. When it comes to the movie (I just saw it a couple of nights ago), I must warn that a shameless self promotion follows. If you're interested in my thoughts on the movie, follow the link below.

http://beezhouse.com/2006/06/04/what-did-1350-buy-me/

Someone should turn this into a generic summer movie thread.

Anyone see The Last Stand? I went on Saturday. Not as good as Singers but as an X-Men fanboy, I was still impressed with it. Considering Ratner's resume, it could've been a lot worse.

How is Jean Grey? By the end of the #2, they were hinting that she would be coming back as Phoenix. I hope they did it. I love Famke Janssen since she was Miss Onatopp.