Habs May Keep Abby And Huet

Habby1197

I think this is just posturing by Gainey, so that teams don't try and low ball him for Aebischer. But imo he still fully intends to trade him

Hard to say, but I think you're right...

I always figured that Gainey wanted two goalies. I think I'd be more shocked if they traded one of them as opposed to keeping both of them. I think Aebischer and Huet will both be under contract come October

It's not whether Gainey wants both goalies, which I am sure he does.

The problem is that Aebi and Huet both will be asking for #1 goalie money, and we can't do that. Given what Huet did this year, he has to be the #1 with Aebi as a rotated backup. He won't accept not being a #1 goalie, given that he is proven.

My worry is that if we keep both Aebisher and Huet then there is no room for Danis. In my opinion its better to keep Danis who has a big upside.

I think Aebisher is a known quantity and we can get something for him if we sign and then trade him. If we keep both Aebisher and Huet I am pretty sure we will lose Danis for nothing.

I think this is just posturing by Gainey, so that teams don't try and low ball him for Aebischer. But imo he still fully intends to trade him

Koivu said a little while ago that getting Huet back for the next season will be Gainey's most

important task for his club and Gainey has just started preminelarie negotation with Huet,...as he said in the

article.

Anything else said by Gainey conscerning the goaltending situation is '' posturing '' for obvious reasons.

But no need anymore to read between lines at the end of the article when Gainey stated his desire

to acquire an offensive forward for his team......even thought, as he mentionned, the UFA market being

somewhat shallow regarding the numbers of offensive forwards this year.

Getting a good forward from the avallaible UFAs might prove difficult and expensive while getting one throught trade could end up being the only way to go.........in both ways lies the main reasons as to why Aebisher will not be retain by Bob. He can afford a luxurie no.2 goally and he cant afford not to use him as a trade bait.

seconded.

i can't wait to see what happens with Price and Danis, and how good they get.

Well if they sign both Huet and Aebischer, you better get used to the idea of Danis not being here. He'll sign elsewhere. No way he'll sign with Montreal and be stuck behind Aebischer and Huet on the depth chart.

He'll go somewhere where he has the chance at a starting job.

I'm still not sold on Huet either. To me, he looks like a great back-up. I mean even when he's playing great and everything he just plays like a back-up not a starter. But I guess as long as he's stopping pucks...

I think Huet is one of those late bloomers, like Kiprussoff. Not saying that he's as good as him, but I think he will do a fine job. He brings a calm confidence to the team. If captain K said that it was BG's #1 priority to bring him back, he must be a good influence for the team.

I agree that the Aebi might be back talk is like the Biron might be back talk, ya right. They only say that to not have their hands forced by the other teams.

In the RDS article, they talk of a 2M$/year contract for Huet, at that price, I say sign him and Danis and get rid of Aebi and invest in a scoring forward.

I am also not sold on Huet. Streamer and I debated this many times and it's only a matter of time before teams figure out Huet. Hence, why I'm hoping both goalies are retained.

Its amazing how fast some people say Huet isn't the right guy for the job, after he carried this team for half a season. Its amazing how fast some people forget.

THe guy has earned a starting job. Trade Aebischer for a part that Montreal can use now. If Huet falters, Danis is ready for the following year. Price in 3 years time.

Huet, although I'm obviously no scout, is a damn good goalie. Good players make their job look easy, and Huet makes it look easy. Spectacular? No...that's because he's so positionally sound. I think Huet will continue to fair well because he doesn't flop all over the place and expend extra energy like other netminders tend to do.

While it would be great for the Habs to have that 1-2 punch of Aebischer and Huet, I think it's money probably better spent elsewhere. Two solid potential experienced starters? It's a luxury, not a need. I think Danis is ready for the role as backup.

Here's my breakdown.

Huet is positionally sound which is great but isn't very fast.

Aebischer isn't much focused on positioning but is damn fast.

Danis is a combination of positioning and speed that is waiting to be developed.

What's the way to go? Who freakin' knows except Bob.

Here's my breakdown.

Danis is a combination of positioning and speed that is waiting to be developed.

Its more then that. With all the player interviews, you can tell that they are confident with him in net. We are not in the dressing room, the guy must bring something to the table that others don't, he as that calming effect on people, doesn't get rattled for anything. Like I said, Koivu was quite direct when he said that signing Huet was the most important thing for this team, and that's at the end of the season when Aebi was with the team. I think it speaks loudly about the importance of Huet for this team.

Besides, its better to sign Huet and have Aebi as an asset to trade away to upgrade another position then leeting Huet go and staying with Aebi.

Here's my breakdown.

Honestly, the positionally sound goalie is better then the reflex goalie. The reflex goalie will pull that amazing game once in a while that the other won't, but overall over the lenght of a season, the positionally sound goalie will bring you much more then the other one.