Si's Photo Article On The 15 Most Exciting Athletes

beliveau1

SI's 15 Most Exciting Athletes?

Interesting photo article from SI on the 15 most exciting pro athletes today.....

Typical SI view of sports - football, football, football!!!!!!

Only one hockey player managed to crack that list? :?-

(p.s. not really an NHL related forum topic so I posted it here?)

I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned Ovechkin's absence?

If we're talking about exciting to watch, then he's heads & tails above Crosby in that department.......

SI's 15 Most Exciting Athletes?

Interesting photo article from SI on the 15 most exciting pro athletes today.....

Typical SI view of sports - football, football, football!!!!!!

Only one hockey player managed to crack that list? :?-

(p.s. not really an NHL related forum topic so I posted it here?)

They're just writing for the market. If it was TSN, there would be 6 or 7 hockey players, and a handful of other sports represented. To me, it looks like SI pulled a few names, since they have most sports have at least one representative (soccer, tennis, hockey, golf). I just don't understand the baseball picks...who is excited by Clemens/Pedro? And don't even get me started on basketball.

Then again, this is a hockey board...who wouldn't expect us to want more of our sport represented.

Edited by huzer

I wasn't so much surprized by the football players present on the list as it is a US publication>

However I was surprized by the fact they didn't pick Ovechkin, as well as the fact they chose to include Clemens in that list?

Clemens had his day and is no longer that exciting to watch as he is now past his prime in my opinion.

Clemens has never left his prime, he was amazing last year.

I find most of that list hard to argue with though. Take Bonds off, put Vick higher and switch Crosby with Ovenchicken and I'd agree with the list.

I don't mind baseball...but to be honest, unless it's a bottom of the 9th close game (etc, etc) I don't find it that exciting. There aren't many exciting things going on in a game where the great percentage of time, the players just stand there.

I don't mind baseball...but to be honest, unless it's a bottom of the 9th close game (etc, etc) I don't find it that exciting. There aren't many exciting things going on in a game where the great percentage of time, the players just stand there.

Gotta agree with that.

Golf is even less exciting. I mean... Turner Stevenson is probably more exciting to watch than Tiger Woods just because golf is so uneventful.

Hiking is more exciting to watch than golf.

Alright, lets televise two hours of hiking.

I can guarantee golf would be more exciting. I don't watch the first two rounds but when everything is clear cut on Sundays, then it's exciting. Thats when I like to watch golf. I watch everything though so whatever.

Alright, lets televise two hours of hiking.

I can guarantee golf would be more exciting. I don't watch the first two rounds but when everything is clear cut on Sundays, then it's exciting. Thats when I like to watch golf. I watch everything though so whatever.

At least in hiking there would be some breathtaking landscapes. Nothing too breathtaking in watching a dude in a polo shirt get all serious and waste 20 mins of my life before hitting a ball so damn tiny you dont even see where it's going until it lands.

But hey, its all a matter of taste. :P

Here live from this weeks first annual Mount St. Helen's Microsoft Hiking Challenge is our sports reporter Raj Binder......

Raj what's the situation out here at this time?

Yes, I'm Raj Binder reporting from just outside hiking headquarters here on Mount St Helen's.

Well Stumpy, we have just been informed that race officials have just returned from their deliberations. The head of the organizing committee is now telling us that they have just come from touring the emergency triage centre, and unfortunately competition officials have been forced to announce that all competitors were disqualified. Apparently this happened when they broke from the traditional competitive hiking cantor into a mad dash to the finish line after the mountain began to belch smoke! It was a gruesome sight from our vantage point here at ground level, and it will go down in the annals of hiking as a sad sad moment in it's short and rather boring history?

That's unfortunate Raj as we were all looking forward with great anticipation to the delayed coverage of that exciting challenge tonight at 8pm in our dynamic prime time slot.....

Well back to the busty blonde at the weather centre - Britnee what's the current weather like in Hornepayne?

Edited by beliveau1

Here live from this weeks first annual Mount St. Helen's Microsoft Hiking Challenge is our sports reporter Raj Binder......

Raj what's the situation out here at this time?

Yes, I'm Raj Binder reporting from just outside hiking headquarters here on Mount St Helen's.

Well Stumpy, we have just been informed that race officials have just returned from their deliberations. The head of the organizing committee is now telling us that they have just come from touring the emergency triage centre, and unfortunately competition officials have been forced to announce that all competitors were disqualified. Apparently this happened when they broke from the traditional competitive hiking cantor into a mad dash to the finish line after the mountain began to belch smoke! It was a gruesome sight from our vantage point here at ground level, and it will go down in the annals of hiking as a sad sad moment in it's short and rather boring history?

That's unfortunate Raj as we were all looking forward with great anticipation to the delayed coverage of that exciting challenge tonight at 8pm in our dynamic prime time slot.....

Well back to the busty blonde at the weather centre - Britnee what's the current weather like in Hornepayne?

:lol:

Just reading that was 10,000 times more exciting than golf.

Only reason I would probably watch hiking if it was the case :P

• 3 weeks later...

They are the most exciting in terms of American media exposure. In short, SI is saying that these are the guys that they push and are most excited about.

Surprised that anyone thinks that Crosby is more exciting to watch actually play that Ovechkin. Still, Crosby is exciting to watch.

Women's tennis is infinitely more popular then Men's tennis though. Hence why Sharapova is on the list and Federer isn't. I'm really enjoying Hingis's comeback too, I loved watching her in her heyday when I was 9-10.

Only one hockey player managed to crack that list?

Hockey is boring.

This coming from someone who used to live in Montreal, where people care way too much about the sport.

Watching stitched up 30 year olds a concussion away from brain damage running into each other on skates, slapping at a round object loses out to watching LeBron, McGrady, Federer, Santoros, Owens, and Vick anytime. Unless it involves the Habs.

Edit: I actually named those players before checking the list (I had a feeling both Owens and Vick would be on it). The list could include at least 1 more tennis star (Roddick? Santaro? Federer?). Where's Allen Iverson? Vince Carter? Jason Richardson? For awhile, AI was the only reason to watch a 76ers game, VC is by far the most exciting NBA player, and Richardson will be his successor. Watching Tiger Woods is interesting, but naming any golfer "exciting" is just wrong.

Anyways, here's my Top 5 after scrolling through SI's list:

1. Vince Carter

2. Terrell Owens

3. Roger Federer

4. Kobe Bryant

5. Ron Artest

Chad Johnson, Mike Tyson, Steve Francis, Jason Richardson, Andy Roddick, Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson and LeBron James were also considerations.

Edited by Ribeiro

Pierre is right on that one. Nadal and Federer should be there. Tennis is popular in the US too. Don't get why those two were left out.

I wouldn't say the sport is that popular in the US. Non-tennis fans only watch when Roddick is playing. They could care less about the amazing Federer.

And I think it's funny that people complain that women's tournaments don't pay out as much as men's. They play best of 3 instead of best of 5 for goodness sake, they don't deserve to be paid like the men unless they can play as long as the men.

I wouldn't say the sport is that popular in the US.

Not popular anymore at least. It used to be popular, back when USA had the best players (Agassi, Sampras, Chang), and more so before that during the McEnroe days.

Golf's growing popularity in the US in my opinion, is based completely on Tiger Woods, and a bit on Mickelson (both Americans). But we wouldn't know the latter without knowing the former. And once Tiger's gone, the PGA is going to have problems...

Of course golf is going to have problems once Tiger is gone. They've milked that cow like you would never believe. But they might just get lucky like NASCAR did when Earnhardt died. Of course the diehards at the time like me left because they had grown up with him and now saw that there was no point in watching anymore. It also showed me the dark side of one of my hobbies, death in racing.

But Nascar gained from the death (I know it sounds sick, but they actually did). When was the last time an auto racers funeral was covered on CNN for example. It never happend before. If it wasn't for Earnhardts death people would not have discovered NASCAR the way they have plain and simple.

But when Tiger leaves golf will already have established itself like the way NASCAR has. But Tennis is in serious jeopardy in the U.S. People still talk about the william sisters and they aren't even ranked anymore.

But when Tiger leaves golf will already have established itself like the way NASCAR has. But Tennis is in serious jeopardy in the U.S. People still talk about the william sisters and they aren't even ranked anymore.

Venus just won Wimbledon last year. She beat Davenport and Sharapova in the process. She's a favourite this year too, so she's definitely still on the world stage.

As for golf being established - tennis was too during the McEnroe and Aggassi days (to a lesser extent). But aside from Roddick, tennis gets little attention.

Maybe golf will suffer less because more people play it nowadays, but I doubt it'll be near as mainstream when Woods leaves (which won't be for a long time). The NBA suffered after Jordan left, the NHL lost attention in the USA when Gretzky left, and both were more enjoyable to watch than golf.