Danny Markov Available

les_glorieux

You never know. If there is a Souray trade situation and it causes cap problems to bring in Markov, I could easily see Souray being traded for less than the return. That's a bummer because IMO, Markov doesn't replace the likes of Souray. Why do I get the feeling that Markov is going to go for 4 million? Montreal is getting into probable cap issues down the road IMO.

Don't get me wrong, but Markov would be a great addition.

And, it wouldn't shock me if Gainey pulled another rabbit out of the hat :king:

THE DRIVE FOR 25 :hlogo:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Markov...ockey_player%29

Contrary to popular belief, he is not related to Danil Markov.

Contrary to popular belief, the info at wikipedia can be edited by anybody, so that doesnt make anything posted there actually factual.

It may be correct that they are not brothers, but I have yet to find anything anywhere that prooves if they are, or arent brothers. Well, exept the Answers.com saying they are, and a google cahe saying they are, but has obviously been changed since. :rolleyes:

Edit: See, Wikipeadia no longer has this:

Markov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1976), a Russian ice hockey player in the NHL (a brother of Andrei);

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Man you guys are boggers, they are NOT brothers. Read this:

http://www.stlouisblues.com/news/0506/060214.html

This is from the NHL site, written in February 2006 for the Olympics. Both Andrei and Danny made the Russia team and all the way at the bottom of the article, it says:

--Five sets of brothers with NHL experience are featured: Frantisek and Tomas Kaberle (Czech Republic); Mikko and Saku Koivu (Finland); Marcel and Sascha Goc (Germany); Marcel and Marian Hossa (Slovakia) and Daniel and Henrik Sedin (Sweden).

Unless I can't read, they didn't mention the Markov's brothers.

I'm 100% sure they are not brothers. Not just for that article, but because it was said and mentionned many times by games analysist over the past few years.

Thx ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN ;)

I knew it. :P

I remember hearing they were back when Andrei was drafted, because Danny was a Leaf at that time.

The Wikipedia entry was most likely changed in late June when the people at the other Habs board were talking about it. Some jack-hole probably took it upon themselves to change it, soley because they arent born in the same city, so therefore they couldnt possibly be related. :rolleyes:

They might have been born in the Comunist USSR, but its not like the Soviets forced people to have children in the same cities. :lol:

Basically all the Euro players in the Olympics that have the same last names, are brothers. The only exception I know of is that Ronnie is no relation at all to Matts.

[edit]@ Komisarek the Cruncher, that article probably just forgot about them, or just didnt realise it, its apparently a common thing.[/edit]

[edit2]If they listed all the brothers, then where are the Jokenens? :unsure: [/edit2]

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Thx ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN ;)

I knew it. :P

I remember hearing they were back when Andrei was drafted, because Danny was a Leaf at that time.

The Wikipedia entry was most likely changed in late June when the people at the other Habs board were talking about it. Some jack-hole probably took it upon themselves to change it, soley because they arent born in the same city, so therefore they couldnt possibly be related. :rolleyes:

They might have been born in the Comunist USSR, but its not like the Soviets forced people to have children in the same cities. :lol:

Basically all the Euro players in the Olympics that have the same last names, are brothers. The only exception I know of is that Ronnie is no relation at all to Matts.

@ Komisarek the Cruncher, that article probably just forgot about them, or just didnt realise it, its apparently a common thing.

Believe what you want, I know they're not. The proof is that everyone knows about all the other brothers in the league, because it's always mentionned. Nobody ever talks about Andrei and Danny being brothers.

I did a search about it, and verywhere on other hockey boards everyone agrees that they are not brothers.

Believe me on that one, they are not brothers.

And I highly doubt that they would have forgotten them in the article.

if they are brothers, don't you think that the media would've talked about it ??

I still really doubt that they're brothers

Read my Edit2. :P

Fine, let's play a game. Take all the brothers taht you know and do a google search for, example: olli jokinen brother jussi jokinen

You will find a zillion hits for all the brother connections you can come up with, except for the Markov's. Proof that they are not brothers. There is not enough articles that mention them as brothers, only 2 or 3 (basicaly, only the ones posted here so far) that are not reliable and made mistakes.

It's the last time I post about this, I'm tired of wasting my time when I know I'm 100% right.

They are NOT brothers.

if they are brothers, don't you think that the media would've talked about it ??

Thank you, exactly what I just posted.

And I'm 100% they are not brothers, I guess you fell in that 0.001% chance of being wrong :P

Danny is from Mosow and Andrei is from Voskresensk.

NOTE: I have no idea whether they are brothers. I always thought they weren't... but who knows.

BUT - isn't Voskresensk a suburb of Moscow?

Well, I have never heard the media talking about Fedorov's brother, and I've never ever heard anything about Juicy being Ollies lil bro, but both are totally correct.

Apparently more people think they arent brothers, so maybe the media doesnt put the 2 together. Theres no rule saying they must advertise players who are brothers. The T.O. Star doesnt ramble on that Frantisiek is Thomas' brother, but why would they? I'ts not like both Krabappletree's are Leafs, so its not like it matters.

everytime jussi played on OLN they would mention the brother thing and definitely during US olympics coverage.

I've often heard about the Kaberle thing. When Fedorov's brother got traded the media outlets I looked at always talked about the brother thing.

I have never heard about the markov brothers.......

NOTE: I have no idea whether they are brothers. I always thought they weren't... but who knows.

BUT - isn't Voskresensk a suburb of Moscow?

It's 80 KM away from Moscow. I know it wasn't a big help in the discussion naming their origins, but I really am sure they're not brothers. Don't want to be a prick here, just want to inform you properly that they are not brothers, that's all.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Do the search I mentionned about the brothers, you will hit easily for the Fedorov's, Jokinen's or any other ones, except the Markov brothers, because they're not.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

It's 80 KM away from Moscow. I know it wasn't a big help in the discussion naming their origins, but I really am sure they're not brothers. Don't want to be a prick here, just want to inform you properly that they are not brothers, that's all.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

You offend no one!

"We're all just scrappin'!"

Remember Reg Dunlop is a God :P

I'll use a classic Chretien quote: Proof isnt proof, untill it is proven :P

Do the search I mentionned about the brothers, you will hit easily for the Fedorov's, Jokinen's or any other ones, except the Markov brothers, because they're not.

Hmm, if that is true, then shouldnt the reverse of that also be true? i.e. lots of sources saying the Markovs are not brothers? :D Feel free to post a legit source that say they arent. So far, nobody has.

The only thing I've seen saying they are not brothers, are you people saying they arent, because you people say so. :P The wiki link now says they arent bros, but it can be edited by anybody, and I've prooved that it has in fact been changed to say they are not. The wiki link definitely did say originally that they are brothers, and I cant figure out why it would say that if it was wrong.

I admit that it is possible that they arent, but afaik, they are, and I will keep beleiving that untill I see some actual proof. ;)

I'll use a classic Chretien quote: Proof isnt proof, untill it is proven :P

Hmm, if that is true, then shouldnt the reverse of that also be true? i.e. lots of sources saying the Markovs are not brothers? :D Feel free to post a legit source that say they arent. So far, nobody has.

The only thing I've seen saying they are not brothers, are you people saying they arent, because you people say so. :P The wiki link now says they arent bros, but it can be edited by anybody, and I've prooved that it has in fact been changed to say they are not. The wiki link definitely did say originally that they are brothers, and I cant figure out why it would say that if it was wrong.

I admit that it is possible that they arent, but afaik, they are, and I will keep beleiving that untill I see some actual proof. ;)

I don't like this logic. I don't see a lot of pages talking about how aaron and jason ward are not brothers, or about mats and markus naslund or JS Aubin and Mattieu Aubin... or Jeff and Anson Carter :king:

You are asking people to prove a negative...

I don't like this logic. I don't see a lot of pages talking about how aaron and jason ward are not brothers, or about mats and markus naslund or JS Aubin and Mattieu Aubin... or Jeff and Anson Carter :king:

I know, its not logic at all, but it makes more sense than the official Blues link being proof because it doesnt list them. :lol: It didnt list the Jokenens, so that article is wrong, and I beleive there is yet another set of brothers that are missing. I guess it just prooves that the Blues hockey knowledge is at par with their placement last season. :D

However, I do kinda have a point with the not brothers thing, because if they really arent brothers, why does it not say that anywhere, except at a site that can be edited by anybody, and used to say they are brothers, but somebody edited it.

That is indeed a logical fallacy, known as the "argument from ignorance"... or "argumentum ad ignorantiam"

You can check the definition out at wikipedia too :P

Does it really matter if they are brothers or not? I'd say that they aren't because every draft story about brothers, sons, or grandsons has never mentioned Markov ... but I would also admit that every writer has their biases, intended or not, and so such a liason may have been omitted. But then I would add, if you are so interested ask someone in the know. I'm sure if you email the Canadien's head-office with this question you would get your responce.

Let us know when you get a responce! :)

Does it really matter if they are brothers or not?

Nope, it doesnt matter 1 bit really. Well, unless they are, and they really want to play together and would take pay cuts to do so. :lol:

Let us know when you get a responce! :)

I hope your not talking to me. :P

I'll recap what I know:

Answers.com info was taken from Wiki, it says they are

Google cache of Wiki shows it says they are

old SI article say they are

I know back around the time that the SI article was written (late 90's), I had heard they are from another source

Wiki was edited by some know-it-all who deleted the part saying they are, and added a smart ass comment of "Contrary to popular belief"

Anyone who knows 100% that they arent, post a legit source please.

The SI article, and what I heard back then might actually be wrong, but all I know, is that I have yet to see a reliable source saying they arent. ;)

Obviously I don't have a source, but during one of Russia's games at the Olympics (I think it was against Canada) the commentators did not at one point say that Danny and Andrei were brothers, even when they announced that they were on the same defensive tandem. Also, Danny and Andrei look absolutely nothing alike, so while that doesn't prove that they aren't brothers, it does count for something.