Mark Streit Signed For Two Years?

shortcat1

On RDS.ca, it's been rumoured that Mark Streit has been signed for two years. They get it from La Presse who get it from some Swiss jounalist source.

Don't know if it's true or not but, so far as I'm concerned, it's not a bad idea. The guy showed improvement as the year progressed and can be an asset on the power play.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/205899.html

:king: :hlogo: :king:

If anything has been proven by this years playoffs, it's the fact that speed, mobility and offensive creativity are an asset in the new NHL. The big slow footed oafs of the past are becoming obsolete, and you better get on board now or lose out.

If true, it's not a bad signing as he has an offensive upside, and was more than capable as the season progressed.....

If anything has been proven by this years playoffs, it's the fact that speed, mobility and offensive creativity are an asset in the new NHL. The big slow footed oafs of the past are becoming obsolete, and you better get on board now or lose out.

If true, it's not a bad signing as he has an offensive upside, and was more than capable as the season progressed.....

I have to agree. At the beginning of the season I could not stand his game, but at the end of the season and playoffs I learned to respect his offensive abilities. Maybe he can break out this year and help the depth department of the Habs defence by adding points to his passing abilities.

I have to agree. At the beginning of the season I could not stand his game, but at the end of the season and playoffs I learned to respect his offensive abilities. Maybe he can break out this year and help the depth department of the Habs defence by adding points to his passing abilities.

It took him a while to adapt and at times you had to wonder, but he has the talent to contribute in a specific role.

He has wheels which is a big asset in the new NHL, and he has a definite offensive upside to his game. Fortunately, unlike McCabe(who has that offensive upside too) he isn't expected to fill the #1/2 role.

The difference between the two is the fact he has no pressure to exceed the expectations he's truly capable of from this staff. They see him as a decent 4-6 defenceman that will contribute to the powerplay, and won't hurt you very often if used properly?

Gotta love Gainey's patient foresight concerning the new game.....

Im happy i always knew Streit had it in him. In the olympics he was playing very well all the guy needs is some ice time and he will be a good defencmen.

Lets narrow down his skills Shall we :)

1. Offensivly Minded

2. Better then Average on Defense

3. Uses his body and plays bigger then he rly is

4. Fast, Who cant love that

5. Wicked Slapper

6. Cheap!!!!

7. Reliable (looks like the type to wake up when playoff time comes along)

8. Swiss ( i unno i felt like putting it lol)

I like our defensive core nothing wrong with it maybe those few mental mistakes all players make, we might make a few to many. But it's ok stuff like that happens and when we play like a team NOTHING CAN STOP US.

Now all we need is a new 2nd line Center to replace ribs and were pretty set.

Edited by koivu-11

This had better be a two-way contract.

Streit needs playing time to fully adapt to North American hockey. He looked lost the few times I saw him play, and he hardly got any ice time when he was in the lineup.

He needs to accept that the club really wants him, but that he must put in some time in the AHL to get both his minutes and confidence in his game up. When he succeeds in the AHL, then let him prove himself finally at the NHL level. He was a waste of a roster spot most of last season.

Im happy i always knew Streit had it in him. In the olympics he was playing very well all the guy needs is some ice time and he will be a good defencmen.

Lets narrow down his skills Shall we :)

1. Offensivly Minded

2. Better then Average on Defense

3. Uses his body and plays bigger then he rly is

4. Fast, Who cant love that

5. Wicked Slapper

6. Cheap!!!!

7. Reliable (looks like the type to wake up when playoff time comes along)

8. Swedish ( i unno i felt like putting it lol)

I like our defensive core nothing wrong with it maybe those few mental mistakes all players make, we might make a few to many. But it's ok stuff like that happens and when we play like a team NOTHING CAN STOP US.

Now all we need is a new 2nd line Center to replace ribs and were pretty set.

Striet is Swiss...

Its an alright signing... but i think id rather have Markov or Kubina... now we wont get them cuz were full again. :angry:

:hlogo:

Full again? What makes you say that? Bouillon still hasn't signed. Neither has Simpson or Komisarek. Who knows what'll happen.

Komisarek is going nowhere. He is young, has alot of potetnial and has the punishing style of play we need. Him not being resigned is about as likely as us trading Ryder and Heut for Sergei Brylin.

Its an alright signing... but i think id rather have Markov or Kubina... now we wont get them cuz were full again. :angry:

:hlogo:

Signing a expensive D would have meant that Dandenault would have been our 7th D at 1.7M$, not very economic for a depth player.

Streit is a perfect 7th D. Give him time, he looked quite alright after the Olympics. Definetly as potential for the PP.

Full again? What makes you say that? Bouillon still hasn't signed. Neither has Simpson or Komisarek. Who knows what'll happen.

Komi is eligible for arbitration and that's it. Is not a RFA or UFA. There are many others on the club in that situation. I will resign soon.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Still, I'd like it if Streit was bigger and more physical. Good sign anyway, but i am wondering if this news is really accurate because at the end of the season Streit wasnt happy with his ice time and the way the coaches used him. What could have changed his mind?

Still, I'd like it if Streit was bigger and more physical. Good sign anyway, but i am wondering if this news is really accurate because at the end of the season Streit wasnt happy with his ice time and the way the coaches used him. What could have changed his mind?

He also mentionned that playing in the NHL is a dream of his and that playing in the best league in the world doesn't come close to compare with playing in a Euro leugue.

Not sure how much he was making in Europe, but money might have to do something with his decision also.

Streit wasnt happy with his ice time...

Those Swiss have a real thing for "time" don't they? hehe

I thought Streit played well in the "neutral" zone! hehehe

Plus he really "alps" on the power play as well. hehehehehehehehehehehehehe :lol: .

Ok I will stop now. These puns are too "cheesy"!

Those Swiss have a real thing for "time" don't they? hehe

I thought Streit played well in the "neutral" zone! hehehe

Plus he really "alps" on the power play as well. hehehehehehehehehehehehehe :lol: .

Ok I will stop now. These puns are too "cheesy"!

:P

Rumoured to be $600,000/year.

Well thats not bad. I was hoping it wasn't $750,000 + per season. Be a bargain if he can do in the NHL what he's done on the world stage. Maybe he just needed that first year to adjust. Be nice to see 5 or 6 goals and 25-30 points from him. Shouldn't be a problem considering the PP opportunities.

In all fairness, he probably would have been in Hamilton if not for his age, and it probably would have helped him more than playing in Montreal. I think his biggest hurdle was his decision making. He just didn't act as quickly as he needed to in the beginning of the year, but as many pointed out, he started to get used to the speed and the smaller ice late in the season.

I would have traded him for a bag of pucks at the beginning of the season for his poor decision making and low self confidence, but he turned it around and impressed bitter me and $600,000 is reasonable.

It is almost as if Gainey knows better than me. Hmmm.

It's tough to develop (gain confidence etc) when you only get a few shifts per game. And the difference in the ice dimensions as well.

I see this happen all the time (OHL) with our "rookies" they make a mistake, and they sit........tough to develop when your looking over your shoulder (at the coaching staff) to see if your going in the dog house.

He looked ok to me, especially later on in the year and on the PP