Chances of Arnott Coming To Montreal

KoZed

May I suggest the thread title be amended to 'Not impossible that Arnott coming to Montreal'? It's a bit misleading as it is.

DHF:

Interesting article. However, nothing to get too excited about. Arnott's brother/agent makes it clear that Arnott and his wife/boss want to stay in Dallas. It's indicated that he may have to take a pay cut to do that.

The only advantages Montreal has if Arnott is on the move would be having a friend on the team (Souray), and the fact that he knows worked with Gainey/Carbonneau before (which could be a disadvantage, if he doesn't like them!).

We'll have to see how it all plays out.

Thanks for the link.

The UFA market is scary low on players playing center and pretty much nil if Arnott se-signed with Dallas.

From an economic standpoint Arnott couldn't have hit the market in a more ideal situation and this is in itself

the very reason why Arnott could end-up leaving Dallas despite their mutual desire not to part with one another.

Its nice to know that he's having a friend within our team in Sourey.

Althought the scarcity of center players will have him fetched top price for his services he still would represente better value for our team than any other upgrades (specially defense) from the UFA market this summer.

When someone is about to cross the Sahara he needs to get a supply of water however expensive it might end-up being,.....even some heavyly discounted champagne wont do (as good).

Arnott at any cost? Hmmmm..... I don't know.

I suppose it'll help in the short term but I can't help leaning towards putting an emphasis on the young guns that are coming up in the system. To bring in more players from other teams (except maybe on the defense) would seem to be counter-productive.

To my point of view, Arnott can stay in Texas.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I suppose it'll help in the short term but I can't help leaning towards putting an emphasis on the young guns that are coming up in the system. To bring in more players from other teams (except maybe on the defense) would seem to be counter-productive.

If Ribs is gone there is a need at center. So he fills the void nicely. Apart from this acquistion the door would be open for the prospects still. Besides, they're either fighting Ribs or Arnott for a job. If Ribs stays there is a vacancy which Kostitsyn will win. But, losing Zednik still opens up a need somewhere.

The clubs perspective is to build a 2008 or 2009 winner. This is according to Boivin 2 years ago. But why not bring in Arnott for a solid 2007 run with a 2 year deal?

I think it's what the doctor ordered. But rumours rumours and more :wacko:

Not at a stupid cost,..I aggree.

Based on our need at the moment,...a good forward is needed to improved on our offense from last season.

The mixture of goods he would bring (offense, size, shoot right ) is something we could use for the long run.

How long before Chipchura, Locke or Darkovski reach the club ?,..if they do what would be their role ? Some

like Higgins could be turned into wingers,....one has some have size but limited offense,...all are left shooter.

Bringing in a left winger from the UFA is, I think more problematic with the futur prospects,....and bringing a

defence in...would be counter productive in term of upgrading on our real defficiencies and securing the team

a playoff participation nest season.

Not at a stupid cost,..I aggree.

Based on our need at the moment,...a good forward is needed to improved on our offense from last season.

The mixture of goods he would bring (offense, size, shoot right ) is something we could use for the long run.

How long before Chipchura, Locke or Darkovski reach the club ?,..if they do what would be their role ? Some

like Higgins could be turned into wingers,....one has some have size but limited offense,...all are left shooter.

Bringing in a left winger from the UFA is, I think more problematic with the futur prospects,....and bringing a

defence in...would be counter productive in term of upgrading on our real defficiencies and securing the team

a playoff participation nest season.

Darkovski? :?-

Edited by shortcat1

Darkovski not in improbable name from a movie director from the East but Grabovski.....haa thats much better.

PS: I mean GrabovskYYYYYYYYYYY

Edited by PB

Darkovski not in improbable name from a movie director from the East but Grabovski.....haa thats much better.

PS: I mean GrabovskYYYYYYYYYYY

oh................. :blush:

I was focusing on the first syllable (Dar) and never got to the 'kovsky' part. :wacko:

Edited by shortcat1

If Arnott does hit the open market, I hope the Habs do not get into a bidding war for him. If he can be signed for around $4 to $5 Million and some salary jetisoned (ie Zednik and/or Bonk) to help compensate then great.

But remember the Habs are fairly deep, although inexpeirenced, at center.

Regardless of what happens to Ribeiro. If it comes to a bidding war for Arnott, the Habs have Tomas Plekanec to fall back on. He had an excellent rookie year and can hopefully develop into a legit NHL centreman, maybe even a 2nd line centreman. Won't know till he gets a shot.

They also have Bonk and Begin, who while they do play together alot, can be used as 3rd and 4th line centreman. Garth Murray while playing mostly left wing can also line up at any forward position.

Not to mention that any of Kyle Chipchura, Corey Locke, or Maxim Lapierre could have a suprisingly strong camp and make the club.

The other option is to trade some assests, Ribeiro, Aebischer, Zednik, Bonk, or draft picks to aquire a centre.

Hence there is no reason to go over pay someone like Jason Arnott if/ when a bidding war erupts for him.

In the French version of Star Wars they say "Dark" Vader. No misconception here. <_<

and on TV, at the end of science fiction programs, instead of saying "Fade to black", they say: "Dark Fader..."

You believe that don't you...? don't you?

• 3 weeks later...
and on TV, at the end of science fiction programs, instead of saying "Fade to black", they say: "Dark Fader..."

You believe that don't you...? don't you?

Arnott and the Stars have officially broken off contract talks according to Sportsnet. He's going to try the free market.

Well Montreal is believed to be one of the heavy favorites, but hopefully the price doesn't get driven up too high in a bidding war.

There's no way he signs for more than Koivu in my mind.

At most I can see Arnott signing to a $3.25M contract.... Or less expensive with bonuses (if he's eligible).

This is just my opinion, if Arnott is offered up to 5 million, i don't think Koivu or Kovalev would be that upset or the fans should be either. Arnott would be a huge upgrade to the teams scoring, face offs, power play and general phyical play. Playing with Kovalev would be a great duo. If it means paying that much to make the team a cup contender, i'm all for it.

In all honestly, the Habs don't have anything to worry regarding the CBA cap. As far as the CBA cap is concerned, they could afford to pay Arnott, or any other UFA 5 mil a year. The decision lies with George Gillette and how much he is willing to pay for the players. I'm sure he's gone up to Gainey and gave him a "cap" on how much he's willing to pay in salaries. I would love to know how many owners in the league have given the go ahead to their GMs to spend the full 44 million.

This is just my opinion, if Arnott is offered up to 5 million, i don't think Koivu or Kovalev would be that upset or the fans should be either. Arnott would be a huge upgrade to the teams scoring, face offs, power play and general phyical play. Playing with Kovalev would be a great duo. If it means paying that much to make the team a cup contender, i'm all for it.

I'm sure that Koivu and Kovalev will be ok not being paid the most if Arnott helps them become a Cup contender... And I really feel that his presence will have a great impact on the Montreal offense... and give us 4 solid lines to roll out...

I really hope Bob goes for him

I'm assuming IF BG can land Arnott, he can easily trade Ribiero and Zednik, saving approximately 3 million. Even if they are just traded for picks. I look at it as addition by subtraction. I expect the habs to be around the 40 million mark, maybe a little less. Saving room for a big pick up for playoffs if needed.

In all honestly, the Habs don't have anything to worry regarding the CBA cap. As far as the CBA cap is concerned, they could afford to pay Arnott, or any other UFA 5 mil a year. The decision lies with George Gillette and how much he is willing to pay for the players. I'm sure he's gone up to Gainey and gave him a "cap" on how much he's willing to pay in salaries. I would love to know how many owners in the league have given the go ahead to their GMs to spend the full 44 million.

Smart managers will not spend to the full limit of the cap - there was a lot of talk at the trade deadline about the lessons learned from teams who found themselves in that position last year. Several managers voiced the belief that teams need to leave breathing room for trade acquisitions at the deadline. So few if any of the teams will place themselves at the cap limit at the start of the season. If they do then obtaining a piece or two at the deadline will become almost impossible, as it will require the dumping of salary. Usually hard to do as it most often is an ineffective and overpaid player you are looking to move. And if you are just looking to add a piece to the championship puzzle there wouldn't any room left to add the part you want.

Teams stuck at the cap next June will find it hard to dump unwanted players next year if they don't win the cup, or at least contend for it. Smart managers will probably bring themselves in about 4-5 million under the cap when the first puck drops in September.

Smart managers will not spend to the full limit of the cap - there was a lot of talk at the trade deadline about the lessons learned from teams who found themselves in that position last year. Several managers voiced the belief that teams need to leave breathing room for trade acquisitions at the deadline. So few if any of the teams will place themselves at the cap limit at the start of the season. If they do then obtaining a piece or two at the deadline will become almost impossible, as it will require the dumping of salary. Usually hard to do as it most often is an ineffective and overpaid player you are looking to move. And if you are just looking to add a piece to the championship puzzle there wouldn't any room left to add the part you want.

Teams stuck at the cap next June will find it hard to dump unwanted players next year if they don't win the cup, or at least contend for it. Smart managers will probably bring themselves in about 4-5 million under the cap when the first puck drops in September.

So the Laffs should be topped up by this time next week, you figure? :D