Chances of Arnott Coming To Montreal

KoZed

Smart managers will probably bring themselves in about 4-5 million under the cap when the first puck drops in September.

Exactly....or atleast a minumum of $3 Million under the cap. Especially if the player(s) you are bringing in are in the final year of their deals.

So the Laffs should be topped up by this time next week, you figure? :D

That very thought was running through my mind as I was typing that post. After all, Leaf fans everywhere know that everyone is going to sign with their great and mighty organization.......

I'm assuming IF BG can land Arnott, he can easily trade Ribiero and Zednik, saving approximately 3 million. Even if they are just traded for picks. I look at it as addition by subtraction. I expect the habs to be around the 40 million mark, maybe a little less. Saving room for a big pick up for playoffs if needed.

Trading ineffective players for draft picks isn't as easy as it used to be. The salary cap basically ensures that most deals will revolve around trading some cash value in contracts for any such player a team may want to unload. Picking up a somewhat questionable contract that adds to your cap room is not the smartest idea if you find yourself already stretched by the cash numbers. Unfortunately while each may have some limited exchange value, it isn't going to be that easy to rid themselves of Ribiero or Zednik when given the realistic factors that a salary cap imposes.

So now that he is officially free, the question remains,.....why would he sign here at all ? why would any

free agent sign here at all ?

It has taken some players like 10 years or so to reach that particular point in their career where they can decide for the first time on the location in which they will pursue playing the game and live with their family.

Most, as Elias said, will want to play for a winning type team as it makes playing that much more fun while

all other considerations, money, personal friends, wifes and kids concerns, quality of life, climate, taxes,... all

become part of the player's equation in leading to his choice.

Let's face it, except for locals reaching UFA status, there is no reasons why would most free agents consider Montreal or other freezing Canadian citys like Calgary or Edmonton as being destinations of choice.

We have the money but not the appeal that other destinations have and the only way this will ever change will

depend on how well an establish winning tradition can be brought back in Montreal.

In those terms, last year, as Jacques Demers said, was a bit of a set-back.......and I would add, that the smallest furthening of regression next year would be inacceptable.

Because of this additionnal pressure I expect Gainey to over-acheive this time at bringing in crucial

element(s) that would have the necessary impact to move the team significantly away from the falling zone into the more confortable one ahead in the standing,...........there is less options avalaible to him this time around but a certain sens of urgency can sometime go a long way.

In all honestly, the Habs don't have anything to worry regarding the CBA cap. As far as the CBA cap is concerned, they could afford to pay Arnott, or any other UFA 5 mil a year. The decision lies with George Gillette and how much he is willing to pay for the players. I'm sure he's gone up to Gainey and gave him a "cap" on how much he's willing to pay in salaries. I would love to know how many owners in the league have given the go ahead to their GMs to spend the full 44 million.

Gainey can compete financially with any team out there and he has offerd his tanks to the fans (Bell' attendes) to have made this possibility become a reality.

He also said that he was planning for his team's salary to be running

at 2 or 3 millions under the 44 millions salary cap.

If Bonk was bought-out and replace by cheaper alertnative like Lapierre and Zednick and Aebisher replace

by Kostitsyn and Danis,....the CH would have 8,500.000 to spend for filling two additionnal spots to make it a full 23 men roster club.......this would then be reaching somewhere bellow the 41 millions salary point.

Since the cap-saving space on bying-out Bonk wouldn'be that great (even after spreading its cost over two years and adding the minimum player replacement cost) it probably wont happens,....yet there still would be 7,300.000 avalaible left to fill the 2 roster spots.

Edited by PB

Read that article on TSN.ca about Guerin not being picked up by Dallas. The most significant part of the article and a little snippet where they mention that talks with Arnott have fallen through and that he will be testing the free agent market.

Can we assume that Arnott is interested enough in some other places? With all the hype behind this, i'm starting to give into the idea that this may actually manifest itself into a trade deal seeing him come to Montreal.

On TSN, last night they say that Arnott has broken off talks with Dallas and will test the market. Then they say, "don't be surprised if he ends up with the Habs."

Some more rumour and speculation:

LA PRESSE: Mathia Brunet reports Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey is hoping to land a centre to improve his club's offensive attack. It's believed Gainey is very interested in signing big Jason Arnott. Marc Savard and Doug Weight are available but Brunet wonders if they'll fit Gainey's profile. If Gainey's seeking a winger Jamie Langenbrunner, who played for Gainey in Dallas, might fit the bill, while enforcers such as Georges Laraque and Donald Brashear are also available. It's believed Brendan Shanahan has the Canadiens on his short list if he cannot re-sign with Detroit. Gainey may also be close to re-signing defenceman Francis Bouillon.

Spector's Note: I mentioned Langenbrunner as a possible option several weeks ago but we'll see if he goes or if the Devils can re-sign him. Gainey will have his work cut out for him to land Arnott, who's likely to be hotly pursued by several clubs in the coming days. Weight is too old and Savard is not the big centre Gainey (and most Habs fans) envision for their first line. Shanahan would be an intriguing possibility but given his age I'd re-sign him for one or two seasons max.

Shanahan is older but he put up some great numbers last season. He may be a good short term fit if Arnott is too expensive or unavailable.

Johnny Rougeau on the Rds site - he has a column there, but I have no clue who he is or if he's credible - says that Arnott will not be coming here because he'll cost too much, but that Arnason is practically in the bag, since the Habs were very interested in him this spring.

Arnason is an interesting project but OBVIOUSLY no Langenbrunner or Arnott.

Personally, I think Gainey is resigned to overpaying for free agents (since Montreal is still far from a destination of choice for anyone other than French Canadian players); so I'm not convinced that Arnott's high price will necessarily scare away Bob. People seem to forget that, in the cap era, the Habs are no 'poorer' than anyone else - it's just a question of cap space.

This Rougeau character also suggests holding on to Abeischer until at least December. This is my view as well. Wait until all the FA goalies are signed, and the value for Abbey starts to creep up. Indeed, we could always start the season using a Plekanec as 2nd-line centre and then swing a package deal for a proper 2nd line centreman sometime in the new season...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Arnott & McKee sought by Leafs

Typical. I bet JFJ has no intention of wanting Arnott. They're just screwing around with their historical rival.

LEAFS ALWAYS PULL THIS CRAP WITH US :angry:

Just look at their cap situation, they have close to 32M$ for 10 players (including Belfour's and Domi's buyouts) and that excludes Raycrap's salary and possibly Roberts' 2.5M$ they seem to want and get ???

No room for a 4-5M$ guy in Laff town. They can't even aford McKee at 3M$...

The Laffs are going to be as funny as last year.

Johnny Rougeau on the Rds site - he has a column there, but I have no clue who he is or if he's credible - says that Arnott will not be coming here because he'll cost too much, but that Arnason is practically in the bag, since the Habs were very interested in him this spring.

Personally, I think Gainey is resigned to overpaying for free agents (since Montreal is still far from a destination of choice for anyone other than French Canadian players); so I'm not convinced that Arnott's high price will necessarily scare away Bob. People seem to forget that, in the cap era, the Habs are no 'poorer' than anyone else - it's just a question of cap space.

This Rougeau character also suggests holding on to Abeischer until at least December. This is my view as well. Wait until all the FA goalies are signed, and the value for Abbey starts to creep up. Indeed, we could always start the season using a Plekanec as 2nd-line centre and then swing a package deal for a proper 2nd line centreman sometime in the new season...

Johnny Rougeau as no column on the RDS site.

Forget about Arnason, BG won't even come close to him with a 10 feet pole....

Johnny Rougeau as no column on the RDS site.

Forget about Arnason, BG won't even come close to him with a 10 feet pole....

Right...I just made it all up.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/

Right...I just made it all up.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/

LOL :lol::lol:

Johny Rougeau is a poster like you and me. So is "qssvisionz" next to Johnny Rougeau. Those are random posts by fans put there by RDS. Look at the picture above the name, its the same for both (Johnny and qss) and it represents "you" the fan, which is why its a guy pointing at us.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, no arm intended, but that one is just too funny. Click on the link "Chroniqueurs" just above "Pierre Houde" to see to full list of contributors on RDS.

LOL :lol::lol:

Johny Rougeau is a poster like you and me. So is "qssvisionz" next to Johnny Rougeau. Those are random posts by fans put there by RDS. Look at the picture above the name, its the same for both (Johnny and qss) and it represents "you" the fan, which is why its a guy pointing at us.

Sorry, no arm intended, but that one is just too funny. Click on the link "Chroniqueurs" just above "Pierre Houde" to see to full list of contributors on RDS.

AHA! That explains the funky name and the fact that I'd never heard of this guy...thanks for that :)

Arnason? Hell no!

He was unable to produce as a SENS despites all the offensive power they have tp support him. He would be even more worthless as a habs.

Arnason? Hell no!

He was unable to produce as a SENS despites all the offensive power they have tp support him. He would be even more worthless as a habs.

Arnason... just like Savard... guys who would bring the same types of attitude malfunctions and unphysicality everyone is hating Ribs for; and at a greater cost.

Hell no indeed.