Who's The Next One To Step In The Canadiens Line-up?

shortcat1

Who's the next one to step in the Canadiens line-up?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. The next rookie to make it.

• Andrei Kostitsyn
    • Kyle Chipchura
    • Maxim Lapierre
    • Corey Locke
    • Jonathan Ferland
    • Jean-Philippe Côté
    • Ryan O'Byrne
    • Yann Danis
    • Alexei Emelin
    • Guillaume Latendresse

With the graduation of a handful of rookies this last season (Alex Perezhogin, Chris Higgins, Tomas Plekanec, Mike Komisarek & via a trade, Garth Murray).

That's quite a few in one shot. It begs the question of who, if anybody will be coming up the pipeline? One player will likely make the grade and general wisdom has it being Andrei Kostitsyn. It would seem to be the case, considering his performance at the rookie camp last summer & during his few times on the ice with the Canadiens.

The thing is he's not the only one who made a big impact. Guillaume Latendresse did, as did Yann Danis and, to a lesser degree, Jonathan Ferland & Jean-Phillipe Côté.

That would seem to leave Maxim Lapierre & Corey Locke out in the cold - yet, that could quickly change.

With the need for a good defenseman, Ryan O'Byrne might be sufficiently tempted to make the jump.

Longshots are Kyle Chipchura & Alexei Emelin. Interestingly, THE HOCKEY NEWS 2006 DRAFT PREVIEW sees Emelin (they spell it Yemelin) as the one who's 'READY TO STEP IN'.

My personal 'favourite' (translate the one I expect to 'graduate') is Kostitsyn. Safe bet, I know but, then again, I could be blown out of the water by some other player - even one not on the list above.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Very tough question to ask untill the free agency period is complete. If one of Huet or Aebischer leaves then its Danis stepping into the backup roll.

Kostitsyn will almost surely make the team, and if he doesn't, surely he'll get heavly critisized.

Maxim Lapierre will surely fight for a 4th line spot, but will be in tough with Milroy (his last shot), Ferland, Bonk, Zednik, Begin, Locke, Downey and Murray.

O'Bryne and Emelin have no shot of making it. Cote won't beat out any of the current defensman and will remain an injury callup/minor leaguer for his career. Might have a shot on another team.

Chipchura may get a call later in the year but he's destined for AHL for atleast 3/4 of the year

shortcat1 this is an excelent poll. With many of us wondering what free agency will add to the Montreal lineup, he farm system is ripe with rookies. Your safe bet is probably true, however I would like to see Chipchura get a shot.

This guy is a leader and a winner wherever he goes.

Danis should make the club because he is ready and I think Abby will be traded at some time for depth on the Defence. (Prospect for Hamilton club)

It so exciting to see all the guys that have potential with the Habs. Glory days ahead for the faithful. :hlogo:

I gotta believe that it comes down to Kostsytsin, Danis, Locke, Latendresse and Chipchura as the next call-ups. Danis has the edge if we move Aebischer...otherwise I think Kostsytsin is the next guy to make the club.

I would have to say Kostitsyn he showed to all of us he can play in the NHL, But for him to be effective we have to do what we didnt do at the beggining of the season, we are going to have to play him a lot on the PP and top 2 lines, even if it's not everygame, and put him together with perezhogin, I think perezhogin will WAKE UP because he will have another young russian to talk to and make friends with so hes more calm with the team.

GO HABS GO and LETS GO YOUNGSTERS

It will all depend on any potential trades and/or free agent signings that are made in the next while.

As for guys like Chipchura, Latendresse or any players coming out of Junior this year - it's highly unlikely that they will be in the lineup come the start of next season. Given Gainey's propensity for being patient i'd expect it to be the same for these guys as none of them is forseen as being a franchise player at this point.

If anyone cracks the lineup, you can pretty much bet the farm that they will have served their time in Hamilton learning more about their game?

I would have to say Kostitsyn he showed to all of us he can play in the NHL, But for him to be effective we have to do what we didnt do at the beggining of the season, we are going to have to play him a lot on the PP and top 2 lines, even if it's not everygame, and put him together with perezhogin, I think perezhogin will WAKE UP because he will have another young russian to talk to and make friends with so hes more calm with the team.

GO HABS GO and LETS GO YOUNGSTERS

i thought Kostitsyn was from belarus? and not russia?

my picks are kostitsyn, latendresse! both to make it....

I don't think Kostitsyn should even be on the list as he's the only guy there who's all but guaranteed to make the team.

I don't think Latendresse will make it but I hope Chipchura does.

Chipchura won't make it. Judging from what I saw last year his skating isn't up to NHL standards, and it didn't look like he had adjusted to the pace of the AHL from Jr.

A year in the AHL will do wonders for him. And considering he will be atleast the #2 center, it'll really help his offensive game

I'm of the mind that Gainey is going to go with the same group of forwards that ended the season, with a free agent signing taking Sundstrom's spot on the roster. If there's a trade, it will probably be a position-for-position deal, with a chance of an extra player coming back, which will probably be a defenceman. But of the players listed, I think Coté has the best chance of making it to the NHL roster, as of right now. He's an older rookie, he played well during the call-up he got this season, and he fits the role that I think the team needs, a guy who can clear the front of the net. I think that with four or five second-year forwards on the team next season, that's still enough youth where you don't really need another one or two rookies.

I actually think that Latendresse has the least chance of making the big club. I don't think Gainey ever really considered keeping him once the regular season started. He was certainly the best player in camp, but with the team's history of not rushing prospects and the new CBA granting free agency after 7 season, the last thing Gainey would want to do is risk losing him at 25 just as he's reaching his most productive seasons. I think he starts the year in Hamilton, and if he plays well, gets a call by Christmas.

I'm of the mind that Gainey is going to go with the same group of forwards that ended the season, with a free agent signing taking Sundstrom's spot on the roster. If there's a trade, it will probably be a position-for-position deal, with a chance of an extra player coming back, which will probably be a defenceman. But of the players listed, I think Coté has the best chance of making it to the NHL roster, as of right now. He's an older rookie, he played well during the call-up he got this season, and he fits the role that I think the team needs, a guy who can clear the front of the net. I think that with four or five second-year forwards on the team next season, that's still enough youth where you don't really need another one or two rookies.

I actually think that Latendresse has the least chance of making the big club. I don't think Gainey ever really considered keeping him once the regular season started. He was certainly the best player in camp, but with the team's history of not rushing prospects and the new CBA granting free agency after 7 season, the last thing Gainey would want to do is risk losing him at 25 just as he's reaching his most productive seasons. I think he starts the year in Hamilton, and if he plays well, gets a call by Christmas.

Is Gui old enough to play in the AHL? This might be a stupid question, but I thought there were age limitations...

Yes, it's 20 for CHL players and 18 for any other players (Americans, Euros, etc.).

Gui can't play in the AHL next year, he will be 19.

If he does well at camp, I say try him for that 10 games period where an NHL team can send the player back the CHL. If he does well, keep him, if not, send him back to Drummondville.

I believe Kostytsin will make it and make a big splash and impress us all.

As much as I'd like to see Latendresse make the jump, his inconsistency last year, makes me think he'll stay in junior for one more year and I think it's the right decision.

Danis should also get the call as I don't see aebischer being back.

Chipchura will only get a roster spot if, The team fails to sign a second line center and Plekanek proves he can fill the 2nd line spot. In which case Chipper can get 3rd or 4th line duty. I think of all the players other than Kostytsin and Danis, Chipchura has the best shot, because he is so solid defensively, which is why most players toil in the AHL for a year or more (to learn D).

Milroy and Locke are not making this team in the near future.

Emelin or O'byrne (if he comes out) can make this team, but it would require them proving they can play at this level in the pre-season and beating out Streit (which is the easier of the two.)

I went with Danis, and Kostitsyn will also be on the line-up in game one. Danis will be back-up to Huet, with some time in the AHL for ice time. Abischer will be gone which is good because I always mispell his name.

Abischer will be gone which is good because I always mispell his name.

I hear were trading him to Philly for Antero Nittymakki. ;)

I hear were trading him to Philly for Antero Nittymakki. ;)

Who is Antero Nittynakki? A 26 year old goalie, Save percentage .895, goals against average 2.97, record of 23-15-6 and 2 shut outs. Currently injured, groin tear in the World Chanpionships while playing for Team Finland. Now why would we want him?

Edited by thib46

I put Danis because I'm hoping the Gainey makes a move with Abischer, and gives Danis his deserved shot at full back-up. Danis cannot gain anything new in the minors.

For forwards I'd have to say that Kostitsin and Latendress have a good shot at making it if they impact heavily during training camp. Latendress may be a bit green, but that last year has probably given him a lot of character.

Who is Antero Nittynakki? A 26 year old goalie, Save percentage .895, goals against average 2.97, record of 23-15-6 and 2 shut outs. Currently injured, groin tear in the World Chanpionships while playing for Team Finland. Now why would we want him?

Note the winking smilie. I said it because he also has a long and strange name that he can mispell (as you did yourself). The Habs aren't actually interested in him.

Note the winking smilie. I said it because he also has a long and strange name that he can mispell (as you did yourself). The Habs aren't actually interested in him.

I missed the winking smile! I used the Flyer's spelling of the name. Maybe Bobby Clarke does not know how to spell his name anymore then we do. I will be on the lookout for your winking smiles in the future.