Silly Grammar

TruthMonger

hockey board is made to post opinions and discuss hockey matters

grammar classes are made to improve your grammar

Yes, but learning some basic grammar like this helps people take you seriously on a board. When I see someone trying to make a point and they have a silly error like that, it makes me wonder about the validity of the whole post if the person can't even distinguish betwee "your" and "you're." It's a very simple thing and just adds respectability if you use them correctly.

Yes, but learning some basic grammar like this helps people take you seriously on a board. When I see someone trying to make a point and they have a silly error like that, it makes me wonder about the validity of the whole post if the person can't even distinguish betwee "your" and "you're." It's a very simple thing and just adds respectability if you use them correctly.

I wholeheartedly agree. I find myself unable to continue reading some posts (though special consideration is given to those for whom English is not their first language), because I picture some 11-year-old kid wildly pounding out the first thing that comes to mind. If someone doesn't take the time to reread their post for coherence, grammar, or spelling, why should I take the time to read it?

I'm probably still a jerk for pointing it out, but having seen that mistake so often (or the other one that shows up a lot on this board: misspelling the name of the primary player that the post is about), I just had to poke a little fun. No harm intended...

-some guys have lesser level of education

-some guys are not natural born english

-some guys just don't give a damn, as long as we can understand them

-some guys make no effort to try to be understood and seem to be hyperactive or on some drugs when they type. <<-- That category, I agree is hard to understand, etc. but even then, just DON'T read the post IMO.

Grammar is very important on these boards. Its extremely difficult to read some posts, with no punctuation, all capital letters, nevermind the shortforms. I don't really mind miss-spelled words as its easy to type too fast or miss it when proof reading it.

But I agree with Fanpuck and TruthMonger (no your not a jerk) that gramma definitley has its place on these boards and people are better off when told when they're making a mistake.

And now we all really need draft day to come along as we are discussing grammar

Edited by kaos

Grammar is very important on these boards. Its extremely difficult to read some posts, with no punctuation, all capital letters, nevermind the shortforms. I don't really mind miss-spelled words as its easy to type too fast or miss it when proof reading it.

But I agree with Fanpuck and TruthMonger (no your not a jerk) that gramma definitley has its place on these boards and people are better off when told when they're making a mistake.

lol...

Worst possible place for a typo! :lol: And I guess the one one word down is pretty ironic two. Oh, and so is mispelling the word "mispelled," I guess (I<m not 100% sure how you spell it either).

Okay, sorry, I just had to say that. No offence or bash intended.

English is not everybody's first language, you should think about that before dismissing somebody's post because of spelling mistakes.

I'd like to see you post in french, that would be too funny...but I would give you a thumbs up for the effort...

By the way, it's "between", not "betwee", but I don't stop my self at these things.

English is not everybody's first language, you should think about that before dismissing somebody's post because of spelling mistakes.

I'd like to see you post in french, that would be too funny...but I would give you a thumbs up for the effort...

By the way, it's "between", not "betwee", but I don't stop my self at these things.

Thank you Cruncher :D

Truthmonger was also lacking a hyphen in "reread"... but I understood what he was saying. BTW (By the way), English is my first language...just never thought "chat grammar" on a hockey fan site was so important.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

Thank you Cruncher :D

Truthmonger was also lacking a hyphen in "reread"... but I understood what he was saying. BTW (By the way), English is my first language...just never thought "chat grammar" on a hockey fan site was so important.

I hope it's not too important, french is my 1st language and I would get a dozen grammar correcting posts for every post I make :lol:

As long as we can read the post without going :wacko: , nothing wrong with a couple mistakes.

Am I the only one who believes Arnott is the key?

Nope, I'm with you 100%.

Replacing Ribs with Arnott + the extra experience of the young guys would definetly give us a great season to follow. One where we would see our Habs grow into a force in this league...basically back where we belong :D

LOL :lol:

I hope it's not too important, french is my 1st language and I would get a dozen grammar correcting posts for every post I make :lol:

As long as we can read the post without going :wacko: , nothing wrong with a couple mistakes.

Nope, I'm with you 100%.

Replacing Ribs with Arnott + the extra experience of the young guys would definetly give us a great season to follow. One where we would see our Habs grow into a force in this league...basically back where we belong :D

LOL :lol:

As usual I find myself agreeing with with you. :o Good post KTC.

I do not always spell correctly due to my very horrid typing skills. I try guys, even picked up Mavis Beacon teaches typing so I am trying!

Replacing Ribero with Arnott would definitely be an upgrade. I have always liked Arnott for his playoff experience and hard work.

I'm not trying to insult anyone or make fun of anyone who has English as a second language. Most people on here do a superb job. It was not my intent to hurt any feelings. I was just standing up for the guy encouraging grammer, while other people were putting him down for it.

Like I said, it's just one of my pet peaves. Homonyms are taught in like 3rd grade, and far too many people with English as a first langauge make themselves sound stupid by mixing up things such as:

it's and its

their and there

your and you're

to and too

Call me irrational for those little things driving me crazy, but aren't most pet peaves at least somewhat irrational? Another one of my pet peaves is how people on TV always have apes on a show, but everyone calls the animal a monkey. A monkey have a freaking tail!

I wholeheartedly agree. I find myself unable to continue reading some posts (though special consideration is given to those for whom English is not their first language), because I picture some 11-year-old kid wildly pounding out the first thing that comes to mind. If someone doesn't take the time to reread their post for coherence, grammar, or spelling, why should I take the time to read it?

I'm probably still a jerk for pointing it out, but having seen that mistake so often (or the other one that shows up a lot on this board: misspelling the name of the primary player that the post is about), I just had to poke a little fun. No harm intended...

Ok, this grammar argument is rather stupid...I say that as long as you can understand what the person is saying then that is fine. This isn't english class. And if you don't take the time to read someone's post because you think that they are "11 year olds" then that is sad because I am 16 and I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the Habs and I don't participate in the discussion if I don't. P.S - An 11 year old can easily talk hockey as I was able to when I was that age... But anyways...If the post is truly hard to follow then don't read it but if you find some typos in there, or a mispelled word or two, then whats the damn deal?

Ok guys, let's talk hockey now, I am sick of these stupid grammar arguments and I am sure others on this board are too. :hlogo:

Edited by habsfan88

Ironic, isn't it?

And no, I didn't edit it on purpose. But I couldn't resist it either.

Where's HabsGuru when you need someone to make everybody else's grammar looks perfect?

I can forgive grammar mistakes and such. I'm often guilty of those too but English's not my first language, so... HA! :P

What I can't forgive is mispelling player's names though. Leclavier, Bouilan, Ribiero, etc. That just looks silly has Hell.

Leclavier

Errr....

Isn't that how it's supposed to be spelt?

-some guys have lesser level of education

-some guys are not natural born english

-some guys just don't give a damn, as long as we can understand them

-some guys make no effort to try to be understood and seem to be hyperactive or on some drugs when they type. <<-- That category, I agree is hard to understand, etc. but even then, just DON'T read the post IMO.

Shiggity Shiggity Shwa!

It was a joke. Do you honestly think I'm that stupid?

Next question.

In my opinion, as long as the post is legible, it’s fine. As mentioned, there are many different situations here on the board. So if you can read it, I don’t think that there is/should be a problem.

Next question.

In my opinion, as long as the post is legible, it’s fine. As mentioned, there are many different situations here on the board. So if you can read it, I don’t think that there is/should be a problem.

yesiagreeifapostislegibleitshouldbegoodjustlikethisoneisverylegible.thankyouverymuch. :)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

<_< That's not what I meant

hehehehehehe................................... (cough, cough, cough....) :blink:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I have to say that grammar and spelling do matter.

Over time, as I read a member's posts, I develop an evaluation of the poster. This evaluation is mainly built on the points made and the topics addressed. However, the other information I have to form my evaluation is the spelling and grammar used.

Of course, I try to make allowances for the fact that many people are using their second (or third) language. The fact remains, though, that we are all judged on our spelling and grammar whenever we write anything. There is naturally less emphasis placed on these in a computer posting than a letter. Postings are not intended to be a testament to one's knowledge of the English language but a certain level of care is just courtesy.

I understand that people are typing quickly and off-the-cuff but when someone repeatedly makes the same simple mistakes they betray their unfamiliarity with the rules of grammar. Even if English is your second language you should try to improve it. I studied French for many years and still greatly appreciate it when someone points out that I don't understand some rule of syntax, grammar or spelling.

If someone doesn't care about the errors in his posts that is perfectly fine. However, people should be aware that these errors play a part in everyone's evaluation of the poster.

Okay, feel free to mock me for the spelling and/or grammar mistakes which I am sure are in the above diatribe. ;)