Silly Grammar

TruthMonger

All writing matters on a forum. Just because it is a hockey site doesn't change the fact that it is a writing medium.

I can forgive bad english if the poster is an ESL member, but even these people usually want to improve their grammar, so a little pointer never goes wrong.

My big beef, however, is with people who do not re-read their post before hitting submit, especially when they know they are bad at writing. It demonstrates a modicum of respect for the other members when you take care when writing.

I have to say that grammar and spelling do matter.

Over time, as I read a member's posts, I develop an evaluation of the poster . This evaluation is mainly built on the points made and the topics addressed. However, the other information I have to form my evaluation is the spelling and grammar used.

Of course, I try to make allowances for the fact that many people are using their second (or third) language. The fact remains, though, that we are all judged on our spelling and grammar whenever we write anything. There is naturally less emphasis placed on these in a computer posting than a letter. Postings are not intended to be a testament to one's knowledge of the English language but a certain level of care is just courtesy.

I understand that people are typing quickly and off-the-cuff but when someone repeatedly makes the same simple mistakes they betray their unfamiliarity with the rules of grammar. Even if English is your second language you should try to improve it. I studied French for many years and still greatly appreciate it when someone points out that I don't understand some rule of syntax, grammar or spelling.

If someone doesn't care about the errors in his posts that is perfectly fine. However, people should be aware that these errors play a part in everyone's evaluation of the poster.

Okay, feel free to mock me for the spelling and/or grammar mistakes which I am sure are in the above diatribe. ;)

Evaluating a poster? Maybe we just use different words but I don't EVALUATE a poster. I get a picture of what kind of person the poster may be but far be it for me to 'evaluate' a poster.

I'm a teacher - have been for 31 years - and the idea of 'evaluation' only fits in the context of what I'm to do for a student in her/his progress. It's a very serious affair. What I give a student in her/his evaluation is very much a part of her/his progress. It has a direct impact (though at the primary school level, not necessarily a life-long impact) on the student's overt possibilities down the road.

Yes, I do get a picture... I do develop a sort of opinion... I do form an image of what the different posters MAY BE LIKE but I NEVER make an evaluation of what a poster IS LIKE. It's not my place to do so and, even more importantly, I certainly don't have enough information for which to make an 'evaluation' even of you - though I may get the picture that you could possibly be a judgemental kind of person.

But, to fall back on my first line, maybe this is just a confusion of terminology.

So, if you wish to evaluate me, by the way... have fun... I'm going to throw all sorts of stuff at you. I'll be serious in one post, I'll be flippant in another, I'll be simply downright nonsensical in another. I'll be way off topic just for the sake of being way off topic in another.

Bottom line, I'm going to be enjoying this dialogue with you and the others in this 'family' and I won't place a momentous amount of seriousness in the whole thing because being a Canadiens fan since the Rocket played still doesn't make this an earth-shakingly vital, basic part of my life as being a Christian, a husband, a father, a friend, a teacher, a musician, etc... is to me.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

So, if you wish to evaluate me, by the way... have fun... I'm going to throw all sorts of stuff at you. I'll be serious in one post, I'll be flippant in another, I'll be simply downright nonsensical in another. I'll be way off topic just for the sake of being way off topic in another.

There's certainly no shortage of material to make an evaluation of you! :P

Let's just get to the bottom line. Grammar is important, we all know that, but I don't feel that it is more important than your point getting across cleanly. Words that don't bug me are ex. - your instead of you're or you are.

I can understand the sentence with that, but if the grammar is completely ridiculous, then I am on the same page as many others on this site when it comes to horrendous grammar...I try to make my posts very readable, but I know i will make mistakes on spelling.

Evaluating a poster? Maybe we just use different words but I don't EVALUATE a poster. I get a picture of what kind of person the poster may be but far be it for me to 'evaluate' a poster.

I'm a teacher - have been for 31 years - and the idea of 'evaluation' only fits in the context of what I'm to do for a student in her/his progress. It's a very serious affair. What I give a student in her/his evaluation is very much a part of her/his progress. It has a direct impact (though at the primary school level, not necessarily a life-long impact) on the student's overt possibilities down the road.

Yes, I do get a picture... I do develop a sort of opinion... I do form an image of what the different posters MAY BE LIKE but I NEVER make an evaluation of what a poster IS LIKE. It's not my place to do so and, even more importantly, I certainly don't have enough information for which to make an 'evaluation' even of you - though I may get the picture that you could possibly be a judgemental kind of person.

But, to fall back on my first line, maybe this is just a confusion of terminology.

Bottom line, I'm going to be enjoying this dialogue with you and the others in this 'family' and I won't place a momentous amount of seriousness in the whole thing because being a Canadiens fan since the Rocket played still doesn't make this an earth-shakingly vital, basic part of my life as being a Christian, a husband, a father, a friend, a teacher, a musician, etc... is to me.

Perhaps "evaluation" isn't the best word. What I mean is that I form an opinion about the poster, as a member of HW. Certain people consistently post clear intelligent and informative messages. Other people are wildly optimistic about the Habs future and or current situation. Others regularly become (slightly) abusive which I consider highly impolite and inappropriate here. Some people take things (or themselves) too seriously - although we are passionate about the Habs, what we post here is not really going to change anything.

I make judgements based upon what people hacve written, including their grammar and spelling. For example, I read everything MONTREAL posts because he wrtes well, is well informed and doesn't go off on rants when someone disagrees with him. There are some others whose posts I may skip due to their previous record (not you shortcat1).

I hope this makes clear what I mean by "evaluation".

I can't believe this thread has come from one apostrophe missing on a lengthy post.

Sure, personal judgements are formed from what you read, see, hear etc...but I actually perceive a person more negatively if I know they judge people on a grammar error as opposed to someone that actually mis-spelled a word. Can't help it.

If we are talking about a newspaper article or a published novel etc... then I hold them more accountable to grammar errors...I just don't expect that here.

What I find funny is that I believe most of the posters on this forum communicate better than the leader of the most powerful nation. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I made any errors in this post...

Edited by Mr. Nasty

of course minor and solitary grammatical errors are no big deal. Frequent and major grammatical errors are annoying and difficult to comprehend. Dropping an apostrophe or dropping a homonym every once in a while is no great sin, but errors make postings harder to read and if a post has a lot of errors it can be nearly impossible to read. I often find that my posts have typo, but I edit whatever errors that I find after I post.

I must admit that I have at times been tempted to use my moderator privileges to fix grammatical errors...

Edited by simonus

Because of the limits imposed by this method of communication, there are inherent pitfalls that the writers on a message board are bound to encounter.

Although spelling and grammar are important, clarity is really the issue. The normal means of communication that we would use in the real world are lost to us. We have nothing to go by. No body language, no tone of voice, no 'history' at all except what is written here. And because of that lack of any of the other methods we would normally have of familiarizing ourselves with another person, it only makes it even more important that the words we use here convey what we want them to say.

Is anyone going to dismiss someone's opinion just because of a few spelling or grammar mistakes? Of course not. The people using this board are passionate, dedicated Habs fans who have ideas and opinions they want to share. That's what Habsworld is all about.

It really isn't a matter of evaluating or assessing anyone with regard to their use of language. It's more about communicating in a way that can be clearly understood. The only two means we have of knowing the other writers in this forum are: the words we write and how we write them.

I never thought my pet peave about homonyms would turn into such a heated debate.

Haha!

The Paris Hilton thread is on its second page and the Grammar thread is sparking debates.

Can you tell its time for the Draft to come around fast?

Perhaps "evaluation" isn't the best word. What I mean is that I form an opinion about the poster, as a member of HW. Certain people consistently post clear intelligent and informative messages. Other people are wildly optimistic about the Habs future and or current situation. Others regularly become (slightly) abusive which I consider highly impolite and inappropriate here. Some people take things (or themselves) too seriously - although we are passionate about the Habs, what we post here is not really going to change anything.

I make judgements based upon what people hacve written, including their grammar and spelling. For example, I read everything MONTREAL posts because he wrtes well, is well informed and doesn't go off on rants when someone disagrees with him. There are some others whose posts I may skip due to their previous record (not you shortcat1).

I hope this makes clear what I mean by "evaluation".

Yup... sure does.

Thank you. I was probably over-reacting. As I was writing my response, that was going through my mind but I figured I'd let the thought run to its conclusion.

In any case... as was said by KoZed, it certainly is obvious that we need something more Habish to come up... like the draft... n'est-ce pas?

Where's HabsGuru when you need someone to make everybody else's grammar looks perfect?

I can forgive grammar mistakes and such. I'm often guilty of those too but English's not my first language, so... HA! :P

What I can't forgive is mispelling player's names though. Leclavier, Bouilan, Ribiero, etc. That just looks silly has Hell.

Good o' Habsguru...hahahaha. And what? You don't like me Calling him Vinny La Clavicle? Go collar bone, go!

Why do people always call in the grammer police. Sure good grammer is important but giving out grammer tickets? The watchdog is busy enough as it is.

I didnt know RCMP stood for The Random Canadians-Fans Misspronounciation Police. Give it a rest.

Why do people always call in the grammer police. Sure good grammer is important but giving out grammer tickets? The watchdog is busy enough as it is.

I didnt know RCMP stood for The Random Canadians-Fans Misspronounciation Police. Give it a rest.

Way to generalize there. It's not just Canadiens fans, any messageboard you go to will have a problem with incorrect grammer. If you type like an idiot, you won't gain any respect anywhere on the internet. Period.

Truthmonger was also lacking a hyphen in "reread"... but I understood what he was saying.

Wow. I had no idea this would lead to a discussion. Good on you all.

"Reread" requires no hypen, though to use one is acceptable as well.

Peace.

Truthmonger

www.wager.ca