Should Gainey Trade Up At The Draft?

KoZed

Should Gainey trade up to pick Derick Brassard?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gainey trade up to pick Derick Brassard?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont care

HAHA ok, let's take it in here.

As I just told you, A team drafting in top 10 and looking for an explosive winger would barely be satisfied this year, yes there is Tlusty, yes there is Frolik... But they are not Ovechkin-ish, they are more Perezhogin-ish...

Bringing us to the expandability of Perez and the possibility of trading him along with our 1st to draft a CENTER.

Why is he expandable?

1. Not BG type (who was the last whimpy russian forward to play for a BG team)

2. Kost and MANY more are waiting and could replace him.

3. Not sure I liked (and BG either) what I saw of him.

Voted "I don't care" because I don't know the prospects well enough this year like Kozed from all those mad hours of HWL draft editing ;)

Daaaaamn right Tony!

Though the crazy thing with drafts is that you can follow it all season long and think you've got everyone of them pegged down, and yet some kid like Tlusty will shoot up the rankings almost out of nowhere about just a month before the draft.

As The Godfather would say: Draftin' ain't easy!

Haha, I'm with Tony on this one, but for a different reason.

I think the Habs will stand pat and if they trade up, I figure it would only to move up a couple spots, not leap-frog into the top 10.

I'm sure the scouting staff will go with whoever it is they believe to be the top guy when it rolls around to our pick. Thus, I really don't care who they take, because unlike in the past where we sucked at the draft, I feel quite confident in whatever happens.

Depends on what the cost of trading up is?

ITs highly unlikely, but if it only meant giving up a Zednik, or Ribeiro or maybe even Aebischer to jump up 5 or 6 spots, yeah, go ahead and do it. But not for anything more.

So I can see the Habs staying put at 16

I voted, sure... why not.

But, as stated above, it likely won't happen. The cost would likely be prohibitive if at all attractive to whatever team would go for the idea.

Yet, as I've stated a few times before on other related sites, I would love to see the Canadiens take a shot at FRANCOIS BOUCHARD in one of the later rounds (3rd, 4th...?).

He's considered Brassard's equal (if not better) on the purely offensive side. On this site: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06NHL_draf...can_skaters.php , he's considered the BEST GOAL SCORER, POWER PLAY PERFORMER with the QUICKEST HANDS in this year's draft.

He's also considered an inconsistent player so a bit of a risk. Yet, the talent sure seems to be there. He may end up being another Michaël Lambert but then again, maybe not. By the way, he's Pierre Marc Bouchard's brother (Minnesota Stars).

Here's more info: http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/francois_bouchard

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I trust in Gainey, Savard, Gauthier, Timmons and the rest of the staff.

What position was Chipchura taken at? 16th I do believe. It's true that some drafts are deeper than others but we should still bode very well. Savvy Savard will make us happy - NO WORRIES :D .

Alot of mock drafts have us taking Wishart. We'll see on Saturday.

TRUST IN BOB! :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I trust in Gainey, Savard, Gauthier, Timmons and the rest of the staff.

What position was Chipchura taken at? 16th I do believe. It's true that some drafts are deeper than others but we should still bode very well. Savvy Savard will make us happy - NO WORRIES :D .

Alot of mock drafts have us taking Wishart. We'll see on Saturday.

TRUST IN BOB! :hlogo:

Wishart might be the best D available when our turn comes, but he is no longuer listed on the top 30 prospects by most scouts (ISS, CBS, TSN, tc.). No thank you, I want the best player available.

TSN as us picking the D Mark Mitera. Everybody is stuck on D, I say pick the best available player. We can trade our excess goalies and forwards for D.

The only team I see taking a long look at Sanguinetti is Atlanta and maybe Florida. But if one of them takes him then they leave us a great forward. I like our position the way it is. Oh, don't take Wishart.

Pat Hickey reported today in the Gazette that the Habs will try to move up into the top 8...but it is very difficult to from the 16th position. This was according to Timmins. They also expect both Brassard and Bernier to be drafted before the 16th pick.

I would definitely move up if possible. The question is who will deal. Maybe Chicago or St. Louis. I would offer Zednick, Ribiero, and Aebi plus the habs #1 for the #1 pick. . Those players aren't in habs future plans. Then they could draft a top player.

That's more like a nice dream, in reality i don't see the habs being able to move up With Gainey you never know.

I read a bit more about Brassard and they compare him to Brière-Savard... While that's not bad at all, Savard is UFA right now. Just sign him and get over with it? Then with the pick, take someone more outstanding (size? attitude?) à la Mueller.

I read a bit more about Brassard and they compare him to Brière-Savard... While that's not bad at all, Savard is UFA right now. Just sign him and get over with it? Then with the pick, take someone more outstanding (size? attitude?) à la Mueller.

Mueller won't be around at 16th neither. I wouldnt trade up for him neither. He's a Chipchura-type. Great to have on your team, but you can also pick guys like him in the 2nd and 3rd and hope they overachieve.

This year's draft isnt deep compared to previous years. There's little "outstanding" that seems available at 16th. Unless someone highly-touted falls on our lap like Chipchura did.

BTW, Savard's basically the same as Ribs on many levels (poor ethics, slow, not physical, etc.) I dont get the comparisons with Brassard because they have little in common. Brassard's more like Briere's overall.

Besides, the point is to have a future top center in the system, and Brassard has the bonus of clicking great with Latendresse.

Perezhogin was quite possibly one of the best Canadiens on the ice during the last few games in the playoffs. I wouldn't trade him for anything. He was hitting(he can hit like a train) and he made offensive chances out of nothing..

Perezhogin showed flashes of brilliance during the playoffs that gave us a glimpse of the talent he has.

Unless the return far outweighs the cost, then including him in a deal would border on the definition of poor management.

Patience is a virtue when developing most of these kids who are now evaluated, and then being drafted by the

tender age of 18......

These are boys playing in a man's game....

Edited by beliveau1

To move up it will cost Montreal some youth. Forget about Ribs and Zed, these guys are not needed at the draft for the non playoff teams. Ribero though is being talked about on Calgary boards as Iggy is needing a new center. Ribero cannot score but he can pass.

I would like to see Montreal start drafting Defence, however if a highly rated forward (like #10 overall for example) is available; I would have to agree with those saying take Best Player Available.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Ribiero's not a Darryl Sutter type player.

Forecaster's Mock Draft has a very interesting take on who they think the Habs will select:

Chris Summers, D, USNTDP (NAHL)

Last year proved that the Canadiens are not afraid of zagging when the consensus expects them to zig. While defense is a need position for the Habs, Summers isn't necessarily the best player available at this point. However, he's one of the best skaters available, which adds to his appeal.

I haven't heard anything about Chris Summers, anyone got some info on him?

I doubt Montreal can trade up in the draft, but I think Montreal may also consider Chris Stewart, younger brother of Anthony. A similar player to his brother, power forward mould. I'd say winger James Sheppard is a real possibility too.

But on the other hand Montreal's in desperate need of a dman.

Not BG type (who was the last whimpy russian forward to play for a BG team)

While I am no Zhog fan, he's not a wimpy skilled Russian skater. From what I saw in the playoffs, he's a pretty good hitter and aggressive on his own end. The guy potentially ended Keith Primeau's career. If he stays in the organization, I'd like to see what he could do on the 3rd line with Bonk and Plekanec. I want to see the more offensively gifted Kostitsyn get 2nd line duty.

With that said, I'd be fine with trading 16 OA and Zhog for one of the top picks.

Ribiero's not a Darryl Sutter type player.

Yes, but Ribiero needs someone like Sutter to kick him out a new a-hole. Otherwise Ribero will not go anywhere with his career. Also, getting out of Montreal will help him too. He needs to grow up on his own.

Don't really care if they move up unless they somehow get right near the top and nab that defencemen that everyone seems to say is NHL ready in body and play. If it has an imediate impact. Or that Brassard guy (not too sure of his name) who played a while with Latendress. Could be good future chemestry if it doesn't break in to another click team destroying scenario.

Edited by Bacchus

Mueller won't be around at 16th neither. I wouldnt trade up for him neither. He's a Chipchura-type. Great to have on your team, but you can also pick guys like him in the 2nd and 3rd and hope they overachieve.

This year's draft isnt deep compared to previous years. There's little "outstanding" that seems available at 16th. Unless someone highly-touted falls on our lap like Chipchura did.

BTW, Savard's basically the same as Ribs on many levels (poor ethics, slow, not physical, etc.) I dont get the comparisons with Brassard because they have little in common. Brassard's more like Briere's overall.

Besides, the point is to have a future top center in the system, and Brassard has the bonus of clicking great with Latendresse.

Mueller isn't a Chipchura type player. He may have good leadership and a strong work ethic but that only adds to his package. He's got top line potential and I wouldn't expect him to hit anything less. Strong on the puck, good both ways. His only weakness is sometimes staying out of the corners but he's not that bad with that. He's also a great PP player and one of the best playmakers available in the draft. Great speed.

Mueller is a possible top 5 pick and I will be shocked if Columbus passes on him at #6. I would take him over Brassard.

Yes, but Ribiero needs someone like Sutter to kick him out a new a-hole. Otherwise Ribero will not go anywhere with his career. Also, getting out of Montreal will help him too. He needs to grow up on his own.

Looks lately like I'm one of the few Ribs defender.

Ribs had an atrocious season last year, until he had to go on without his Amigos (Dagenais and Theodore). He did do some growing up now that his two buddies were gone. From then on he started playing better and, even though he missed tons of chances in the playoffs, still showed better work ethics and some improvements.

That is what people should remember when it comes to Ribs. His progress curve is slow and hits plateaus, but it's still a positive one overall, ie. he's improving slowly but surely. Unlike Zednik who peaked then seemed to regress, Ribs can be pushed to give more and there's still untapped potential from him. So I dont think he's as useless as some draw him to be, and I tend to believe that Carbo could get more out of him than any of the previous Habs coach because he shares a lot of similarities with Ribs (high-scoring playmaking center in the QMJHL who had some attitude when coming in the league, etc.).

I'd wait a couple of months in the next season before throwing the towel on Ribs, especially since the situation with Koivu is unsafe and Arnott's signing is not a garantee. Better safe than sorry.

Mueller isn't a Chipchura type player. He may have good leadership and a strong work ethic but that only adds to his package. He's got top line potential and I wouldn't expect him to hit anything less. Strong on the puck, good both ways. His only weakness is sometimes staying out of the corners but he's not that bad with that. He's also a great PP player and one of the best playmakers available in the draft. Great speed.

Mueller is a possible top 5 pick and I will be shocked if Columbus passes on him at #6. I would take him over Brassard.

Mueller is Chipchura-type with more talent. He's primarily a big 2-way center with some offensive upside. But compared to many other prospects, his offensive upside is limited. I think he's a far-cry from being a bluechip 1st line center in the NHL. Most likely he'll settle as a #2 or #3 C, as his kind usually does.

Where he'll be picked is irrelevant. There's always teams to fall for that type of player because they are a hot commodity. However many of those turn out to be lamentable busts or depth players. I explained my draft philosophy about it in another thread. With very high pick, you're better to go for offensive upside alone than go for those 2-way players who have a complete game. That way you have more chances to end up with Marian Hossa rather then Jason Ward, with Sergei Samsonov rather than Daniel Tkaczuk, with Alex Tanguay rather than Manny Malhotra, with Stephen Weiss rather than Alexandr Svitov, etc.

Not to say Mueller will bust. But his offensive potential just isnt comparable with the Backstroms, Brassards, Tlustys and Co and I doubt Mueller, like most players of his kind, will ever put up 1st line numbers at the NHL-level.