Habs Speculated Interests In Free Agency

habsfan88

Check out this fourth period article.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/topfas.html

Marc Savard? What do you guys think...who would you be most interested in from that list?

Personally, I would try to get Marc Savard or Jason Arnott then bolster our D with Brendan Witt.

Note: They have other teams interests in there too...but just look for Montreal

Edited by habsfan88

Centers i would look at in this order are Arnott, Peca or Savard. I don't know enough about Savard to know if he is a good guy but he has moved quit a bit. Would be a good fit with Kovalev.

Defense although i like Witt, the habs need a defenseman who can skate, the current pairing of Rivet and Souray are very slow. I would look to Kuba or someone like that. Then trade Souray.

Don't think Gainey is looking at Savard. He played well with Kovalchuk and Hossa. Montreal doesn't have anything remotley like Kovalchuk or probably even Hossa.

I Like Jay McKee alot. Filip Kuba wouldn't be bad either. Montrea should look at Pavel Kubina as well.

Just a few comments. Why is it that every analyst has Toronto interested in every free agent? Does Toronto not have a salary cap?

And check out the estimated salaries. T hey are far too low. Arnott for $3.9 Million? When hes the only decent centre out there? I think not!!! And Jovanovski for $4.5 Million...I doubt it. Redden looked under valued as well

Savard with Kovalev would be deadly.

You have good points Kaos, but I don't think Atlanta will be able to afford Savard if they keep Hossa and Kovalchuk and some others.

Edited by habsfan88

I wouldnt mind not putting anything on the defense, I think our defense did fairly well, considering Komisarek stepped up and looked like hes becomeing what we expected, Streit can suprise us all like he did in the olympics, and we seen some young guys come in during the season that done the job well for instance Cote he did a pretty good job.

So for improving offense im DOWN! and if anything you can trade Ribero for a defensmen for sure or through him in there for someone.

Savard with Kovalev would be deadly.

You have good points Kaos, but I don't think Atlanta will be able to afford Savard if they keep Hossa and Kovalchuk and some others.

I never said anything about Atlanta signing Savard. I simply said Savard played well because he played with Kovalchuk and Hossa all year. I would have had a great year playing with them.

I don't think Savard is capable of repeating what he did last year with anybody on Montreal's roster, or with half the rosters in the NHL.

Kovalchuk and Hossa made Savard look good.

DONT TOUCH SAVARD!

He's basically the same as Ribs as far as attitude and work ethics are concerned, not that much better. He's a 5-10 perennial 2nd-line center who benefited from having Kovalchuk and Heatley/Hossa as wingers for the past 2 seasons.

The concensus on the board is to dump Ribeiro yet now you guys want Savard? With Savard we'd be getting just the same as Ribs, except older and much more expensive now that Richards has signed a huge deal. He'll be asking for what? 4.5, 5M$ per season? To play behind Koivu on the 2nd line?

F*ck Savard. We dont need his type on the team.

I'd almost say Savard has a worse attitude problem then Ribs.

He can be such a whiny bitch and if he doesn't get what he deems his share of ice time, he'll bitch and moan like a 3 year old. And he wants the first line.

Avoid him like the plague.

My fear is that we'll have to overpay for Arnott because of the demand. $4 million for a guy who will put up Ribeiro-like numbers removed from Modano (his normal totals come in at arounf 50-60 points), that's a lot to pay. Since there are more defenceman on the market they should come a bit more cheaply. So I think we'd be better off signing a first- or second-tier defenceman (McKee, Kubina, or dare I dream, JoVo?) and then trading, say, Souray - as painful as that would be, since I love the guy - for a bona-fide second line centre.

Id love a Samsonov in the same line with Kovalev with Koivu as C.

We can get rid of Zednik and Ribs and let the young guys take their spots and then get a superb Dman (Jovo?, Redden/Chara?, Kubina?)

Let the Speculation Begin - Toronto Sun Article

Now they are speculating that there is some speculation out there in rumour paradise that some are wondering if it is true that the Habs could somehow maybe construed to be somewhat rumoured to be considering the everso remote possibility that they'll by chance be tendering the notion that they could be in the process of evaluating the slightest chance of whether they may or may not trade a player rumoured to be known possibly as Sheldon Souray?????? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Anyways - there is a small note in this article pointing out the fact that Souray may be asking to get out of Montreal? I'm not sure how much stock can be put in this story, but it's worth reading on a boring hockeyless summer day........

Anyways - there is a small note in this article pointing out the fact that Souray may be asking to get out of Montreal? I'm not sure how much stock can be put in this story, but it's worth reading on a boring hockeyless summer day........

Typical Toronto crap.

Souray went on the record this season about trades rumors saying he loved Montreal and wouldn't want to play elsewhere.

Typical Toronto crap.

Souray went on the record this season about trades rumors saying he loved Montreal and wouldn't want to play elsewhere.

Exactly, and to be more exact, there's a picture of him holding his daugther in the article.

Id love a Samsonov in the same line with Kovalev with Koivu as C.

We can get rid of Zednik and Ribs and let the young guys take their spots and then get a superb Dman (Jovo?, Redden/Chara?, Kubina?)

I doubt a 1st line winger (Samsonov) and a superb dman is possible. THe Habs just don't have the cap room even if they could move Zednik.

Besides, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Ryder and Kovalev all can play 1st and 2nd line minutes. What happens to them if you bring in a #1 winger?

Higgins scored 20 goals and will hopefully produce more. Ryder and Kovalev have scored 30 and theres no reason they can't again.

Perezhogin deserves a chance to show what he can do. He looked good last year and can hopefully put it together this year and pop 20 goals.

And as for Andrei Kostitsyn. This kid was touted as a top 5 pick in 2003. The only reason he dropped to 10th was his health situation. He has top end skills. He has played 2 season in Hamilton, more than doubling his point total last year from the year before. This kid is an offensive dynamo and could be what the Canadiens have lacked for so many years. Hopefully he gets a shot this year to play decent minutes with guys like Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder, HIggins and whoever they have playing 2nd line center.

If everything comes together, this could be the most exciting Montreal team since the 1970's. If not, then they deal for some help at the trade deadline.

Give the kids a shot

Edited by kaos

You just have to look who wrote the article. Strachan is a moron. Although he isn't too far off base for Blake.

I don't know if I'd refer to Strachan as a moron - but this is a typical article that pops up in countless NHL sports columns at times like this, or the trade deadline. Lots of speculation, tons of rumours and few will ever be true, and far less will ever come to actual fruition......

It's all about selling copy and generating interest = HYPE!!!!!!!!!

Strachan is not someone who understands what a fact is. He makes up his truth and sources and has generated trades in his mind. Everyone is still going to be signed by the Leafs and the less intelligent Leaf fan believes him.

Because there are few Offensive UFA available (like we agreed on a couple of months ago) I say we concentrate on Dmen and put all our chips on getting the best possible from the UFA market... and work with trade bate to get a seudofranchise forward (centre)

But this will also apply the other way around.... and this implies us knowing who or whom fit best with the habs ( what BG and co are thinking) and if this means we have to go crazy and deal 6 Mill for Arnott because fit is second to none THEN I say go for it!

I'm getting ahead of myself here but I'm expecting this will be BG's MO and I can already hear the blogs here about how we didnt go for this ans that....

until then lets get those kids on saturday and wish for the best unpolished gems available!!!

Hmmm................

The Canadiens interested in free agents?

That's news....

What else will they come up with?

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Strachan is not someone who understands what a fact is. He makes up his truth and sources and has generated trades in his mind. Everyone is still going to be signed by the Leafs and the less intelligent Leaf fan believes him.

I don't agree with everything that comes from Strachan's columns, however as far as reporters go Strachan is usually far less prone to predict that players are headed to the leafs than the vast majority are when it comes to reporting rumours (and I have to point out that living here in the underbelly of Leafland I can't find much else to read when it comes to hockey that is other than the leafs perspective in the media......)

Is he always right no - he doesn't say it's the gospel and it is mentioned as being speculation = hence the title of said article?

If he is dealt then the pundits who claimed he would be, will revel in credit for their sources and genius - if not then they will put it down to one of either rumours, or a deal that was possibly in the works but never could be put together. Either way they come off as right in their business..... well, at least in their own opinions?

Edited by beliveau1

My fear is that we'll have to overpay for Arnott because of the demand. $4 million for a guy who will put up Ribeiro-like numbers removed from Modano (his normal totals come in at arounf 50-60 points), that's a lot to pay. Since there are more defenceman on the market they should come a bit more cheaply. So I think we'd be better off signing a first- or second-tier defenceman (McKee, Kubina, or dare I dream, JoVo?) and then trading, say, Souray - as painful as that would be, since I love the guy - for a bona-fide second line centre.

Arnott doesn't play with Modano, they're both centers. In fact, Arnott would be our #1 playing with Kovalev, not second like in Dallas.

Also, please don't compare Arnott to Ribs, Arnott is a legit goal scorer (25 sure), which is what we need, Ribs is just a passer. More over, Arnot as good + ratings (much better player both ways), can play on PP and PK, plus brings the size and grit that we need. There is more then just pts in hockey.

A 60 pts player who's +20 (Arnott) is 100 times better then a 60 pts player who's -10 (Ribs). Ribs gets is pts on the PP, Arnott gets them on 5 on 5.

Not even close to being able to compare both players.

Bring Arnott in and we will kick ass next year, guaranteed. Add the added experience of the young guys and Theo's departure, meaning good-bye the stupid distractions and the crappy goaltending, and we are set for a very good year.

I agree 100% with K the Cruncher.

Arnott is one of those players that can draw two players away from the game while he is handling the puck. Can you imagine what Kovalev could do with that extra space. I am surprised about the reluctance to bring him to the team.

Arnott would make the team better.