First Big Off Season Trade

Habsterr

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

My first reaction was that Florida got ripped off but it looks pretty fair. Both teams lose a player that apparently wanted out and then both teams pick up a starting goalie and a young defenceman. Jovanovski was already set to sign in Florida so they really solidify their defence. Krajicek will play in the NHL this season but he won't be that great for a while. Picking up Allen and Jovo is enough support for Auld to make him look like a Luongo. Auld is a starting goalie. Now a superstar but a good goalie. And a pretty young one too. Bertuzzi is the problem here because he's been labeled a "cancer." The good news is that Jokinen now has a scoring partner and that Florida has retained most of their top prospects like Horton, Weiss and Stewart. If Florida drafts James Sheppard then they will be the home of power forwards throughout the NHL. I love this team.

Vancouver upgrades to a franchise goalie in net, lose an inconsistent hothead who needed a change of scenery, exchange a young physical D for a younger and better offensive D while picking up a 6th rounder. Not bad. The Sedins are improving but I'm not sure if they'll be able to give the Nucks the offensive support they now need. Their D is also deteriortating. I don't like their position as they now have Naslund, Ohlund and Luongo as their core but not all that much support. We'll see...

The contracts these guys sign also change a lot.

Wow...

My first reaction was that Florida got ripped off but it looks pretty fair. Both teams lose a player that apparently wanted out and then both teams pick up a starting goalie and a young defenceman. Jovanovski was already set to sign in Florida so they really solidify their defence. Krajicek will play in the NHL this season but he won't be that great for a while. Picking up Allen and Jovo is enough support for Auld to make him look like a Luongo. Auld is a starting goalie. Now a superstar but a good goalie. And a pretty young one too. Bertuzzi is the problem here because he's been labeled a "cancer." The good news is that Jokinen now has a scoring partner and that Florida has retained most of their top prospects like Horton, Weiss and Stewart. If Florida drafts James Sheppard then they will be the home of power forwards throughout the NHL. I love this team.

Vancouver upgrades to a franchise goalie in net, lose an inconsistent hothead who needed a change of scenery, exchange a young physical D for a younger and better offensive D while picking up a 6th rounder. Not bad. The Sedins are improving but I'm not sure if they'll be able to give the Nucks the offensive support they now need. Their D is also deteriortating. I don't like their position as they now have Naslund, Ohlund and Luongo as their core but not all that much support. We'll see...

The contracts these guys sign also change a lot.

Bertuzzi is NOT a cancer and NOT a hothead at all. All this was the media trying to create BS. I've been confident in Nonis all along and I know he'll do everything in his power to sign Luongo and if not, he is still an asset that many covet highly.

Our defense isn't as bad as it seems. We have Mattias Ohlund and a VERY(and I mean VERY) underrated guy in Sami Salo. With Luc Bourdon poised to make the club next season along with Kevin Bieksa(who I feel CAN replace Allen) as well as a strong possibility that Mitchell will sign here and add Krajicek to that mix. Like I've said, Jovo is done here. I'm quite sure of it but we'll sign someone else if not Mitchell.

As for our attack, it's obvious we've become soft up front but, Carter apparently is ok with the hiring of Vigneault so we'll see. We have the Sedins who have gotten better every passing season as a healthy Nazzy and Mo gives us a solid group of scoring forwards. As for the rest, Cooke being helthy will be another good thing along with Kesler, Linden, Burrows and it looks like Nonis wants to add some skill with Brandon Reid and Tommi Santala(Kinda what Detroit did with guys like Samuelsson I guess). There is still a lot more to come here in Vancouver however.

I'd say it's quite obvious Vancouver needs another forward for the top two lines. I don't really see anyone on their current roster who can move up into that spot..Cooke is a grinder, let him do what he does best. Kesler, Linden, Burrows, etc are checkers too.

I think the Nucks should try and move Morrison for another centre. He's a second line centre at best on a contending team. The defense looks alright though. You're right they'll sign someone such as Mitchell...

Cloutier will probably be dealt for a defenseman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AqGF...ov=ap&type=lgns

My opinion of the trade just changed a bit. I thought it was a great trade for Florida because they got great return for a player who was not interested in signing with them, after talks came to a stand still during the season.

Now, it appears that Luongo thought he had a long term deal almost finalized, with three conditions: A public, though not official, no trade announcement, that they hire Francois Allaire as goaltender coach, and that Jamie McClennan return as his backup. He said he was very surprised by the deal and wanted to remain in Florida.

Still, I think Florida will be a strong 2nd half team. They improved overall, but I think the trade still hurts them in the short term. Before, they could ride on Luongo's back to win games. Now, they will have a better team in front of their goalie, but they will have to learn to win as a team, rather than letting their goalie stand on his head.

Good question. So much for LA getting Luongo. IMO, given Luongo's contract status I do have to say if he isn't signed that Nonis is going to look like Mr. Potato Head

potato.jpg:lol:

Agreed. Luongo doesn't know Vancouver well and it will take a while before he's willing to commit long-term to Vancouver, if he ever does. All he as to do is wait 1 year and sign with who ever he wants.

Pass a certain date (I forgot), the Nucks won't be able to talk contracts with Luongo before january 2007. By then, he may decide to wait for is free agency and is value will be little by then. No team will trade away what the Nucks just gave away at next year's trade deadline.

In fact, this is a huge gamble by the Nucks, one I don't think they will win....If I was Luongo, I would wait to become a UFA and get top money from my desired team I want to play for.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

The thing is that Bertuzzi was also being shopped, also doesn't have much trade value, also needed a change of scenery and also can leave via Free Agency or trade ta any time. Both players were risks on their teams and needed to go so both teams take a risk, I think.

I remember in August of 1992, Mike Keenan traded a goalie by the name of Dominik Hasek to the Buffalo Sabre's for Stephane Beauregard and a draft pick...who turned out to be Eric Daze.

NOt exactly a great trade. Hopefully the Luongo deal will be just as bad for him....ahahhahahaha

Bertuzzi is NOT a cancer and NOT a hothead at all. All this was the media trying to create BS.

Hahahahahahaha

Like the time in 1991, playing in the Northern Ontario midget championships, when his team was beaten out in the finals by Sault Ste. Marie and he chased the winning team's bus out of the parking lot, swearing and pounding on the windows, out of control.

The next year, his first in the Ontario Hockey League, Bertuzzi missed the end of that season and the beginning of the next when he was suspended 15 games for kicking a Kitchener player.

The year after that, in his own locker room, for no apparent reason other than jealousy, he punched out teammate Jeff O'Neill, who at the time was Guelph's prized first-round pick.

In the NHL, Bertuzzi punched linesman Jean Morin in a 1996 scuffle and ended up suspended for three games before losing 10 more games to suspension for jumping the bench to attack a Colorado player in 2001.

You want to explain that? The guy has a worse temper than Ron Hextall and an uglier mug to boot.

A fellow coach of mine(on our staff) was in a local pub a while back with a local former NHL'er and Bertuzzi was with him at the time. I won't go into any details about the night, but apparently he was an absolute ass.....

I'm not sure if he's like that in the dressing room environment, but he certainly has a history.

While I wasn't witness to it, the fact is there's usually fire where you smell smoke?

Edited by beliveau1

Vancouver fans are the equivalent of Toronto fans out West.

I think they could be worse. Many openly supported Bertuzzi's violent acts, and igorantly believed Cloutier would be their savior, when it was obvious to everyone outside of Vancouver that he wasn't.

There team is full of aholes and guys who think they're tough: Bertuzzi, Cloutier, Ruutu, Cooke, May.

I used to live on the Westcoast, and liked them. But their image and players have ruined it for me.

Worse fans in sports:

1. Toronto Raptors fans (for the most part, they're clueless)

2. Vancouver Canucks fans

Wow, the Canucks GM is a genius.. He could have get Theodore for Bertuzzi in March. He sticked with Bertuzzi. His patience paid BIG TIME WOW.. Luongo!!! Nice job Nonis

Theodore is better than Luongo. Some Quebec Habs "fans" just don't get it.

How many Vezina and Hart trophies does Luongo have? (And no, it wasn't a fluke, Theo is a muliple time All-star, so drop that BS theory).

Fans make excuses for Luongo's lack of success in the wins column because he plays for a bad team. Well, Theodore has brought just as much crap if not more to the playoffs, and to the 2nd round.

Yet, nobody will make the same excuses for him, all you hear is, "He's undeserving of the Vezina." "Trade Theo." "He's a fluke." "He lets in too many easy goals." Basically, unless he got a shutout, some stupid @ss fan would give him crap.

It's come to the conclusion that someone less accomplished, with less wins, and less playoff appearences is somehow worth more than Theodore?

There is no other player in the NHL less appreciated than Jose Theodore. And it's a disgrace.

Theodore is better than Luongo. Some Quebec Habs "fans" just don't get it.

How many Vezina and Hart trophies does Luongo have? (And no, it wasn't a fluke, Theo is a muliple time All-star, so drop that BS theory).

Fans make excuses for Luongo's lack of success in the wins column because he plays for a bad team. Well, Theodore has brought just as much crap if not more to the playoffs, and to the 2nd round.

Yet, nobody will make the same excuses for him, all you hear is, "He's undeserving of the Vezina." "Trade Theo." "He's a fluke." "He lets in too many easy goals." Basically, unless he got a shutout, some stupid @ss fan would give him crap.

It's come to the conclusion that someone less accomplished, with less wins, and less playoff appearences is somehow worth more than Theodore?

There is no other player in the NHL less appreciated than Jose Theodore. And it's a disgrace.

Man you need a reality check big time !!! It's scary !!!!

Just the fact that your name on this board is Ribeiro proves you don't know hockey, Ribs is a joke.

Who was invited to team Canada last year, Luongo thank you. Aebischer for Theo under contract for 2 years vs everything Florida got for Longo who could be a UFA next year...thank you again. Just look at the facts buddy, Luongo as a much higher value in the league, and that's because is better PERIOD.

When Theo was traded, did you ear any NHL GM or coach say that Theo was possiblt the best in the league or a top 5 for sure??? NO, but they all said it about Luongo.

The Habs had a much better team then Florida, so no the crap was not the same. Get your facts straight and learn some hockey.

When was Theo' last trophy or all-star appearance? Long time ago. Yes Theo had the potential to be great, when he was a nobody who had to prove is value. After the Vezina, he let it go to his head and stoped the training and concentrating on his career and started caring more about being a star (in the holywood sense) then a great hockey player.

I can't believe that there are still guys like you that thinks that Theo is an elite goalie in this league :blink:

Earth is calling Ribeiro, earth is calling Ribeiro...any answer???

Luongo is a multiple time allstar, Olympic athelete, is not banned from Interenational competition like Theo.

Luongo might not have as many wins, but his GAA and SV% rank amongst the highest in the league. Theo couldn't come within a 10-ft pole of those numbers this year.

Who was invited to team Canada last year, Luongo thank you.

Theodore had a bad season last year partly due to injury problems, so of course Canada passed on him. And who cares if he didn't play for Team Canada? Roy wasn't part of Team Canada for a numer of occasions.

Playing for Team Canada means nothing - that team sucked anyways. I'm glad Theodore had nothing to do with that embarrassment.

Aebischer for Theo under contract for 2 years vs everything Florida got for Longo who could be a UFA next year...thank you again. Just look at the facts buddy, Luongo as a much higher value in the league, and that's because is better PERIOD.

Writing...learn to do it.

When Theo was traded, did you ear any NHL GM or coach say that Theo was possiblt the best in the league or a top 5 for sure???

Actually, Colorado did that trade because they believed Theodore was a Stanley Cup worthy goalie. Also, many were saying that Montreal trading away Theodore was Roy (part 2) in the making. And Roy was definitely a Top 3 (not 5) goalie.

The Habs had a much better team then Florida, so no the crap was not the same.

No, the crap was much worse, and Theodore still won.

The first time the Habs went to the playoffs, there was not a single legitimate star on that team. The leading scorer was Yanic Perreault, and somehow Theodore managed to carry them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. That team was by far much worse than Luongo's last Florida team, and equal to if not worse than any other of the rosters he's dealt with before.

The 2nd time Theodore carried the Habs (in another All-star season), Souray was the only other All-star on that team. So, no - the Canadiens that Theodore carried were never any better or more talented than the Luongo's Panthers. You're obviously blinded by hate and ignorance. Like Montreal management says, the Habs don't need people like you for fans.

After the Vezina, he let it go to his head and stoped the training and concentrating on his career and started caring more about being a star (in the holywood sense) then a great hockey player.

After the Vezina, Theodore was still an All-star, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. And if Theodore wants to club and date Paris Hilton, he should have all the right to do so.

When was Theo' last trophy or all-star appearance? Long time ago.

Jose Theodore's last All-star appearence came the season before this one's. Not really a "long time ago", so stop exagerrating, you damn hater.

Edited by Ribeiro

So you don't think theres anything wrong with Theodore partying in Toronto when his 3 month old daughter is in the hospital with health problems? You don't find that childish and immature?

How is that any of your business? It's his personal life, and if he wants to party in the off-season, that's completely up to him, and it doesn't involve you.

Edited by Ribeiro

I want to know that my star goalie has his head in the right place.

Am I forcing him back to Denver? No. But I have every right in the world to call him an immoral jackass. I don't care if hes partying. I care that he isn't taking care of his ADULT responsibilites. He is getting paid 5 million a season to not just be a goaltender. He needs to carry himself with a bit more maturity, he is not only representing himself but also his team. You don't think this Paris Hilton isn't a headache for Avs fans? Why do you think the NHL has an award for service to the community? The rock star persona is tiresome, hes 30 years old. It's about time he acts like it.

Theodore had a bad season last year partly due to injury problems, so of course Canada passed on him. And who cares if he didn't play for Team Canada? Roy wasn't part of Team Canada for a numer of occasions.

Playing for Team Canada means nothing - that team sucked anyways. I'm glad Theodore had nothing to do with that embarrassment.

Writing...learn to do it.

Actually, Colorado did that trade because they believed Theodore was a Stanley Cup worthy goalie. Also, many were saying that Montreal trading away Theodore was Roy (part 2) in the making. And Roy was definitely a Top 3 (not 5) goalie.

No, the crap was much worse, and Theodore still won.

The first time the Habs went to the playoffs, there was not a single legitimate star on that team. The leading scorer was Yanic Perreault, and somehow Theodore managed to carry them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. That team was by far much worse than Luongo's last Florida team, and equal to if not worse than any other of the rosters he's dealt with before.

The 2nd time Theodore carried the Habs (in another All-star season), Souray was the only other All-star on that team. So, no - the Canadiens that Theodore carried were never any better or more talented than the Luongo's Panthers. You're obviously blinded by hate and ignorance. Like Montreal management says, the Habs don't need people like you for fans.

After the Vezina, Theodore was still an All-star, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. And if Theodore wants to club and date Paris Hilton, he should have all the right to do so.

Jose Theodore's last All-star appearence came the season before this one's. Not really a "long time ago", so stop exagerrating, you damn hater.

I'm not a hater, you're ignorant, it's not the same. Here's a hockey lesson that you need:

1), read this and you will see why he's an idiot and always as been:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe..._pageid=9688674

2) Bad season partly due to injury problems? What the hell are you talking about? Man you know shit about hockey. He only injured is foot at the end of the season, he was already the worst goalie in the league before the injury. YES, the WORST. Look at is stats Mr. I can't see shit, he was the 30th #1 out of 30 teams, no other goalies did worst then him. That's more then a bad season, that's terrible and unforgivable for somebody with suposedly so much talent.

3) He was not injured when Team Canada made their team and played at the Olympics, great comment !!! And who cares if he didn't play for team Canada??? He was invited to the camp and was past over in a flash, proof that he was bad. As for Roy, what are you talking about, he was part of team Canada for years, great comment again :wacko:

4) As for writing, you got the message, that's what counts. First, I'm french, so my english is not perfect you moron and if writing is the only reply you can come up with, that's pretty lame and proves my point, thank you once again. As for Colorado, they got fuc..d and I'm glad we no longuer have to deal with this jackass anymore. Where did Mr. Cup worthy bring them....no where. As for Roy part 2, not a lot of people were saying that, in fact, nobody as been saying that except ignorant fools like you. Theo doesn't come close to Roy, so how could it be part 2. Roy as Vezinas, with an s, Stanley Cups, with an s, and a stature of being the best goalie ever. Theo won't even be remembered in 10 years from now.

5) The crap was not much worse, far from it. The Habs had more depth and a much better D then Floridas. Funny how Luongo keeps finishing first every year (and by a mile) for shots received. The guy gets bombarded like no other. He even olds the NHL record for most shots received, but you're right, our crap was worse :wacko:

6) As for Paris Hilton, that's just another incident that proves that he as no class, no brain, and that he only cares about himself. The guy is publicly cheating on his wife who just had a baby 3 months ago (and the kid as severe help problems) with the #1 top rated slut in the world. And that's OK :blink::wacko: The guy as a history of dumbass moves (see attached article) and he never learns from them. A pro sports player does have responsibilities: 1) towards kids who love them as heroes and 2) to his team who pays him huge amount of $ (god the bum is way overpaid).

7) You really are making an ass of your self here with your posts. Better stop now before your name becomes the laughing stock of this board...oops, too late :lol:

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher