Habs Resign Huet !

Theberge43

Now that Huet is signed I think Aebischer will be traded soon.

Nothing against Aebi, but I hope so.. There's no need for him and Danis, and I feel Aebi would be better trade bait...

Great news, I'm not worried now about signing Bouillon, i'm more worried about re signing Ryder, Higgins and Komisarek to multi year deals.

If the numbers are right on Huet, that's not bad at less then 3mill a year.

The habs should have money to sign 1 or 2 free agents depending on who they go after.

Re: From Dany Dubé LCN/TSN : 5.7 Million for 2 years

That's a tad expensive in my book for a possible one-year wonder. I'd be happy to hang on to Aebischer myself for the time being. Jim Carey, Steve Penney, Andrew Raycroft anyone?

That's a tad expensive in my book for a possible one-year wonder. I'd be happy to hang on to Aebischer myself for the time being. Jim Carey, Steve Penney, Andrew Raycroft anyone?

Maybe Mr. Dube is correct with the amount, however, in todays market it is probably right where it should be. I do not see the number as being out of wack. If you want out of wack numbers see Richards in Tampa and the dollars allegedly offered to McCabe in Toronto. <_<

Edited by thib46

That's not bad actually, he's not making 3 million a season but close to it which sounds about right.

Good signing for the Habs - still hoping they retain Aebischer.

Hope Bouillon gets signed soon.

Congatulations to Bob Gainey,

For not making a boneheaded move once in his life!

I think its all known now...that Cristobal Huet deserves to be number one goaltender for the Habs

Now...All we need is a major forward...specifically a centreman that will benefit the team.

The question now is..who will that person be? I like the sounds of Arnott...He will give the Habs the size that they need down the centre lane (unlike that wimp ribeiro). I also like the sounds of Jeremy Roenick if he is willing to play as a Canadien. Vincent Lecavilier is the number one candidate in my eyes, and with the signing of Huet, I personally believe that David Aebischeir's days in Montreal are over, and he will be dealt to a team within the East. The only team i could think of right now that need goaltending help in the east are Tampa Bay, Ottawa, and Philadelphia. However, this Lecavilier deal sounds more realistic now that BG has signed Huet. If they give away enough, I think it is very possible for things to happen. Ribeiro, Bulis, 1st Round pick, and Aebischeir for Lecavilier and Kubina. If this deal falls through.....I will be needing one less thing christmas, because It will be a present to my eyes!!!!

DRIVE FOR 25 IS ALIVE

GO :hlogo: GO

I think is it a bit steep, but not overly so. It would have been worse if the deal was for 3 or 4 years.

I am a bit concerned that Huet had a great, but perhaps not repeatable, 40 games. Huet has a tendancy to be slow getting across, which will be exploited next season. I don't think he will suck, but he was never as good as Theo was when Theo had his amazing season.

If people remember back, Theo was behind a horrible team and was pulling off amazing saves. He was just an incredible talent, and look where he is now... It happens a lot with goalies...

Huet had a better team in front then Theo did a few years ago, and in my opinion, was solid, not spectacular. He was certainly more consistent then Theo, which is worth a lot.

I would like to see Gainey hold on to Aebi for a bit. First, its protection if Huet falters. Aebi will be out to prove he is a number 1, Huet will still be counting his money... Second, we all know that as the season goes on and Goalies crumble, the value of a good goalie goes up. For example, in a few months, Toronto may be desperate for a goaltender again (not that I would trade with them!).

In any case, a good move, I sure hope Huet keeps playing the way he did last season!

Brobin

This is the MAJOR free agent signing I wanted to see in Montreal. You have to have goaltending to get into the playoffs. Huet played well and will continue to be a very good goaltender for Montreal.

If Abby gets traded now, does everyone think Danis is ready to play what 20 games for the big club this year? I think it is time for him to prove he can stick. :hlogo:

Not a bad signing. Kipper got a 3 mill contract after taking the Flames to the Cup final, right?

Huet was a similar case, but didn't go as far. This might have been a bit of an overpayment, but nothing incredibly steep.

Here's hoping he shines.

"Cristobal Huet is a very valuable player to the Canadiens’ organization. Last season, he led our team to a playoff berth, and more importantly, his playoff performances showed that he is amongst the top goaltenders in the NHL. We know that Cristobal likes the city of Montreal, we were convinced he wanted to stay with the Canadiens, and we are pleased to have him under contract for the next two seasons"

-Bob Gainey