Harper Accused Of Insulting Quebec

Pierre the Great

First before I post the article I want to say yes Quebec is a nation. NOT a nation like a country-state i.e. Canada but a nation of:

A people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language; a nationality

That would be Quebec, Newfoundland, Arcadia and First Nation groups and for good measure the chinese community in Vancouver. What I don't get is that Newfoundland is more nationalistic then Quebec and yet they seem to be perfectly fine in Canada, same with the first nation groups and Arcadia. I am tired of the seperatists mixing the phrases of the word nation. Because under the PQ's use of the word 'nation' my local area should get its on country too because they teach german still in the schools and unite under staying german, the german culture, the language and the religion (lutheran). But I don't see the german communities doing that. I know some on here strongly disagree with the above paragraph but in reality its a fact of life, in my opinion.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

He was asked by local reporters whether he considered Quebec a nation -- a question the Parti Québécois and Bloc Québécois had challenged him to answer.

So, he answers the question honestly, and logically.

For some reason, he gets grilled for it? Why ask him a question, then get upset when it's not the answer they liked.

Edited by Ribeiro

There's a very wide margin between "an ethnic community" that is basically just an immigrant off-shoot of a nation; and an actual nation with its own institutions, culture, history and etc.

"Nation" has a different meaning in French than in English. In French it holds a more socio-cultural meaning; in English a more politico-juridical meaning. Separatists have nothing to do with mixing the phrases.

Besides, Rule #1 about "nationalism" is that a group of people are considered a "nation" as soon as they view themselves as such; regardless of outside opinion. If Quebecois consider themselves a nation, it makes them so. Nothing anyone else can do about it.

National identity is an affirmation that comes from within. Outside approval is insignificant and irrelevant.

One more thing:

This is primarily a hockey forum. We do have a lounge that allows for discussions unrelated to hockey. However the entire Quebec/French/Canada/Nationalism/etc debate is a very sensitive topic for many users who often share absolutely opposite views on the matter.

Controversial political topics are not forbidden (yet), but are probably more appropriate for forums specifically designed to host those types of debates.

Okay, I just like to see people opinions on things thats all. I'm on a West Coast forum too and I do the same thing. Sorry if I offend anyone. I'm a political nerd, always love debates. I just don't get the whole nation thing, I guess I'll learn more when I take Canadian studies. Sorry I've kinda taken over the lounge and turned it into a political forum.

Peace

Okay, I just like to see people opinions on things thats all. I'm on a West Coast forum too and I do the same thing. Sorry if I offend anyone. I'm a political nerd, always love debates. I just don't get the whole nation thing, I guess I'll learn more when I take Canadian studies. Sorry I've kinda taken over the lounge and turned it into a political forum.

Peace

No no. Dont get me wrong, it is alright to discuss those topics, but be careful how you bring them and express your views. Some might argue those topics are flame baits.

As for the nation thing, I think its just a natural phase of a community that shares many particularities and grow big enough to develop a collective "national" identity.

Nation-building is one of the broadest, most complex phenomenon in politics. You might need more than one class about that. :P

Okay so its okay for me to put political stuff on here just I have to be careful to what I put. Okay I get it. I'll try to stay away from the Quebec stuff but its kinda hard since a lot of people on here are from Quebec.

I am 50% French and my English relatives all live in Quebec. (Go figure) It is a fabulous Province which I rate as high as my other favorite B.C. Politics and separation is a tired arguement that I just don't debate any longer.

HOWEVER......

The only pathetic country in Canada is LeafNation (Which they stole from the Oakland Raiders 20 years ago). LeafNation is known for its outrageous horn blasting and flag waving just by winning a playoff series. (I know, does not happen that often) What gets LeafNation down is the fact that they cannot get to the Stanley Cup finals any longer. Add the fact that Carolina made it there twice and won once since the LeafNation lucky win of Ninteen Hundred and Sixty Seven. Oh so long ago...

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I am 50% French and my English relatives all live in Quebec. (Go figure) It is a fabulous Province which I rate as high as my other favorite B.C. Politics and separation is a tired arguement that I just don't debate any longer.

HOWEVER......

The only pathetic country in Canada is LeafNation (Which they stole from the Oakland Raiders 20 years ago). LeafNation is known for its outrageous horn blasting and flag waving just by winning a playoff series. (I know, does not happen that often) What gets LeafNation down is the fact that they cannot get to the Stanley Cup finals any longer. Add the fact that Carolina made it there twice and won once since the LeafNation lucky win of Ninteen Hundred and Sixty Seven. Oh so long ago...

I love B.C. so much. Southeastern B.C in particular. Invermere, Windemere, Radium, Golden. I'm actually going out to a cabin we have on Lake Windemere in a couple weeks. Well, it's not ours, its my dads bosses. We have free use of it though so its as good as ours. :D

this is a tempest in a glass of water as far as I am concerned. This issue have no impact on the daily lives of ordinary people.

The only ones really concerned by that issue are hardcore separatist that will go search any reason to blast Canada.

The only ones really concerned by that issue are hardcore separatist that will go search any reason to blast Canada.

Hmmm, I dont know about that. "Hardcore separatists" are about just 10% of Quebec's population. The issue touches more people than that, in and out of the province.

I'd assume the reaction would be similar in Canada if someone was to suggest that Canadians are not a nation.

First before I post the article I want to say yes Quebec is a nation. NOT a nation like a country-state i.e. Canada but a nation of:

rant

The definition of Nation is this:

nation |?n? sh ?n| noun a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory ....

Note the part "inhabiting a particular country or territory". This is where Quebec fails to be a nation under federalism. Quebec is part of Canada. It is a Province. Not a nation.

If we are using the word nation to mean everything else only "a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language" like we do with Aboriginal Americans, then I don't see why the Plateau is not a Nation, or China town, or even where the boundaries of nation ends (i.e. is Longueuil a nation? How about Westmount? The Hasidic Jew section of Montreal? My apartment?).

The seperatist love playing this little game. Lets get the PM of Canada to say that Quebec is not a nation, so we will use this to try to insight the seperatist fervour, and stir shit up. Man I'm sick and embarrassed of this stuff.

Let me say it straight: if Quebec ever manages to seperate completely from Canada then it will be a Nation. Until that day, STFU, and stop staring at your own navals.

/rant