An Interesting Critique Of The Raycroft Deal?

beliveau1

Toronto Sun - the Raycroft Deal

Interesting article in the Sun that explores the fact that maybe Raycroft isn't the solution that Leaf 'mis'-management thinks he will be. It poses the real question - is he still the goalie who finished 47th last year in goals against and save percentage in the new NHL.

47th was last...... :lol:

As far as fans go on the current Sun sports poll, about 54% of those who responded seem to think he isn't.

So the possibility exist that 54 of 100 people in Leaf Nation are smarter than Ferguson :?-

Well when this deal happend, it was a big IF to begin with.

Only way to know if this bif IF was good or bad is to wait for next season.

(I think you know what I'm talking about when I say IF *checks your signature*)

I thionk Raycroff will bounce back with a better season. Not bad trade for them. Also, now that the Leafs have traded coaches I think they will slowly become less of a dirty team. Time will tell, I suppose.

The problem with this deal is that the Leafs won't know which Raycroft they got until some time in November. This means that they will be forced to sit pat with their 3 goalies until then. Each of these guys may only be a good backup. If none of them gets off to a good start the leafs will be behind the 8 ball 2 months into the season and they will be forced to trade for a new keeper.

Thus having Raycroft a huge downside and only a little upside for the leafs. The leafs could be okay next year if all their gambles pay off. If on the other hand none do they could be competing for the worst team in the league.

I was watching the draft when they announced the deal, and all I kept hearing from McKenzie was how Toronto was getting a "proven No. 1 goalie" for a prospect. And I kept thinking, didn't they know that they were talking about Andrew Raycroft? He's hasn't proven anything yet. He won a Calder, then lost his job to a goalie in his 30s in his second stint with the Bruins. We all know what name comes next. This ain't a new story either. Is it a bad trade? Considering what Toronto gave up, it isn't. They still have Aubin, who may have supplanted Tellqvist as the back-up, for the short term. They also have Todd Ford in the system, who hasn't been forgotten about as of yet. Down the road, they still have Justin Pogge, who I thought was the best goalie at the WJC in Vancouver over Rask. For Boston, I think they could have at least gotten a prospect who's closer to making the team this year. Why not Jay Harrison, Ian White, Jeremy Williams, or Brendan Bell? And what if he does bounce back, do you want to face him four times a year in your own building, and him with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove? Of course, there may not be a lot of bodies to see it, but regardless.

I actually wondered why Boston went out and got a goalie prospect. I mean, they're always good to have but they've already got Toivonen to work with (and he looked pretty good, when he wasn't injured). Maybe thats the reason? A back-up plan in case Toivonen has injury problems?

I was watching the draft when they announced the deal, and all I kept hearing from McKenzie was how Toronto was getting a "proven No. 1 goalie" for a prospect.

For the first time ever I question Bob's statement. Raycroft proved he could lose to the Habs in a playoff series.

I actually wondered why Boston went out and got a goalie prospect. I mean, they're always good to have but they've already got Toivonen to work with (and he looked pretty good, when he wasn't injured). Maybe thats the reason? A back-up plan in case Toivonen has injury problems?

Rask won't be ready for about 2 - 3 years right? Maybe more?

By that time, either Toivonen or Thomas will have given Bruins management contract trouble and will be traded.

Example:

Bruins GM: I think you deserve 2 million for 2 years.

Toivenon: I want 2.5

Bruins GM: GET OUT YOU UNGRATEFUL HACK!! YOU'LL NEVER WORK IN THE TOWN AGAIN!!!! OMG!!!!!

Real-life scenario like that involving Kirk Muller and Lou Lamoriello..which is how Captain K became a habs.

Muller was entering an option year for $325,000. Lamoriello offered to double it, ($650,000) but Muller wanted $850,000. Just $200,000 apart with a 25-year-old All-Star and Lamoriello opted to trade him for Stephane Richer.

Rask won't be ready for about 2 - 3 years right? Maybe more?

By that time, either Toivonen or Thomas will have given Bruins management contract trouble and will be traded.

Example:

Bruins GM: I think you deserve 2 million for 2 years.

Toivenon: I want 2.5

Bruins GM: GET OUT YOU UNGRATEFUL HACK!! YOU'LL NEVER WORK IN THE TOWN AGAIN!!!! OMG!!!!!

:lol: This is so true that if you were a Boston fan you probably cry. Trizzak that post made me LAUGH!