Bouillon In The Soup?

According to Pat Hickey, things aren't going swimmingly on the Bouillon front:

Gainey's focus now turns to signing another potential unrestricted free-agent, defenceman Francis Bouillon. He seemed to indicate talks aren't going well when he discussed the team's possible foray into the free-agent market during the weekend.

"We'll be ready to look at who's available on July 1," Gainey said. "We're interested in getting some help at forward but, with the possibility of losing Francis Bouillon, we may also be in the market for a defenceman."

Too soon to say much, but the thought of The Cube in a Toronto jersey is most unpleasant. Hopefully Bob is just driving a hard bargain. :blink:

Bouillon does little things that go un-noticed but that are much appreciated on any teams.

Despite his size he's a hitting machine. He also has heart and leadership that he brings to the team.

I hope Gainey signs him. I remember that one play, where Bouillon put someone in the boards, carried the puck coast to coast and set up a beauty. Forget the game, but it was sweeeet.

It was against the Pens.. Bouillon drove someone into the boards in his own end, carried the puck down the ice, deked Crosby out of his jockstrap and set up the goal... Such an amazing play... only damper was he ended up getting injured that same game...

Well, Cube is a great 5th defenceman. I wouldn't rate him better than that, but he does bring a lot of gumption and hitting. What I dread is the inevitable TO signing (the Toronto press identified him as a potentially very affordable and useful FA signing) and the bone-crunching hits to follow in high-profile games vs the Habs. Oh, well..

Although there are a lot who don't value him as highly – mostly because he's not an imposing defenseman a la Pronger, Chara, and now Phaneuf – Bam Bam was the most consistent blueliner last season, game in and game out. And there's a number of teams who would like to steal him out from under Gainey with a decent offer. There was talk at the draft that there were three or four teams that have offers ready for him to consider. I think Gainey may be willing to see what those offers are in order to finalize what his offer will be, at least I hope so. But the risk with that is Bouillon takes one of those offers because he feels slighted by Gainey and Savard. I sure would hate to lose him, no mattter where he goes.

I read somewhere that he's asking 3 years at 1.2M$/year, but BG doesn't want to give him 3 years.

I believe for his performance and wanting to be in Montreal that seems reasonable. I wonder why Gainey not want to offer up three years? It's not like Montreal has 3 or 4 defenceman waiting to make the Habs from the farm team.

I think Bouillon is pretty happy in Montreal, and that it would take a lot to move him elsewhere... I think Gainey thinks that too...

I think Bouillon is pretty happy in Montreal, and that it would take a lot to move him elsewhere... I think Gainey thinks that too...

Money will move him. Leaf stations mention him way too often so I do not want to see him a Leaf jersey. It would make me :puke:

Bouillon managed 22 pts in 67 games last year. 0.33 PPG average. He was -6.

Since contractual talks are always about stats and comparisons, Rivet managed 34 pts in 82 games for 0.41 PPG average; and was -5. Dandenault managed 20 pts in 82 games for 0.24 PP average, but was +8.

Dandenault makes 1.7M$, Rivet 2.6M$. I assume Bouillon could get something in the 1.2/1.8 range on the free agents market.

He's 30 yrs old, so a 3 years-deal would make him an Habs until 33. He's actually the 2nd oldest Habs D-man after Rivet (who's 31). That could explain why Gainey dont want to be tied up with a long-term contract.

Three years isn't bad. I'd rather Gainey give Bouillon a 3 year contract, than give Koivu $4.75 Million per season.

Anyways, give him a three year contract. In two years if Emelin is ready to step in, Bouillon can always be dealt.

Will the Habs survive without him? Of course. He's not the biggest (ok, one of the smallest) or the most skilled, but he brings a lot of heart. He plays like a man twice his size and would be a fine part of any team's defensive core. I always thought Habs fans overrated him, but I was extremely impressed by what I saw out of him in the playoffs. He was one of their best defensemen in the series. He was strides ahead of Souray in terms of what he brought to the ice.

If we really lose him, then I'd like to see a similar and a top-4 d-man coming in via UFA and/or trade.

Danny Markov, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins, Jay McKee or Keith Carney could do the same job as Bouillon if not even better.

If we really lose him, then I'd like to see a similar and a top-4 d-man coming in via UFA and/or trade.

Danny Markov, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins, Jay McKee or Keith Carney could do the same job as Bouillon if not even better.

Not sure about Carney but one or two of those other guys would look good wearing a Habs logo on their chest. :hlogo:

The way some people on this board are talking you would think the cube is the second coming of Bobby Orr. If he goes he goes. The habs can sign a d-man in the off season. There are good ones out there. The above poster forgot Kuba and Jovanoski. Skratchtins (spelling) was resigned by the AVs. I heard it on the radio this morning.

Well there is a variety of defensman available in the UFA market. If Bouillon is demanding too much then Gainey should let him walk and replace him with an UFA.

That game was against Pittsburg. Thzt was awesome! :D