Laraque In Montréal?

jordy11

Well if you really wanna split hairs, I believe that last thread said Laraque would now consider playing in Montreal, whereas this thread is rumouring that he may be offered a contract

Ah okay, I suppose it's kind of an update. Although it probably should have been posted in the other Laraque thread, as to not create another Theo/Hilton multi-thread.

He spit on the Habs and their fans a few years ago with his dumb a$$ comments...so as far as I'm concern...he can go f*ck himself.

That's kinda extreme.

To put Laraque's past comments back in context, he said he was happy in Edmonton and that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal because he wouldn't be able to deal with the kind of scrutinity Quebec-born players are subjected to when they play for the Habs. Besides, he was an Oilers, what the Hell was he suppose to say? "Yes, I'd prefer playing in Montreal than for the team that currently pays me now?".

That was years ago and he wasn't the only Quebec-born player to think that way. As I recall, Pierre Turgeon, Martin Lapointe and a couple of others turned down offers from the Habs when they were UFAs because they didnt want to become fishies in the aquarium.

Laraque had already changed his mind about that 2 years ago. He's a UFA now and he might receive a couple of offers. If he chose Montreal's over others, than I'll gladly welcome him in the fold. A majority of Habs fans have been crying for a legitimate heavyweight since forever and now we'd have a real one. Not some 3rd-rate fringe-NHLer Vandermeer or some over-the-hill Langdon; but a real top dog.

Edited by KoZed

I'd personally prefer not to have him, but won't grumble if we do get him.

I'd prefer his spot to go to one of Garth Murray, Andrei Kostitsyn, Zhogs (with the Habs for a full season this time) or to a lesser extend Latendresse or Chipchura (although both would benefit from a full season with the 'Dogs, gear them up to take 2nd line duties in a few years time).

His comments weren't nice a few years back, but you'd be surprised the stupid things people say when the rumors get buzzing.

BTW, did anyone else hear that we're in talks with Mario Lemieux?

BTW, did anyone else hear that we're in talks with Mario Lemieux?

What is he buying into the Montreal Canadiens as an owner? :D

That's kinda extreme.

To put Laraque's past comments back in context, he said he was happy in Edmonton and that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal because he wouldn't be able to deal with the kind of scrutinity Quebec-born players are subjected to when they play for the Habs. Besides, he was an Oilers, what the Hell was he suppose to say? "Yes, I'd prefer playing in Montreal than for the team that currently pays me now?".

That was years ago and he wasn't the only Quebec-born player to think that way. As I recall, Pierre Turgeon, Martin Lapointe and a couple of others turned down offers from the Habs when they were UFAs because they didnt want to become fishies in the aquarium.

Laraque had already changed his mind about that 2 years ago. He's a UFA now and he might receive a couple of offers. If he chose Montreal's over others, than I'll gladly welcome him in the fold. A majority of Habs fans have been crying for a legitimate heavyweight since forever and now we'd have a real one. Not some 3rd-rate fringe-NHLer Vandermeer or some over-the-hill Langdon; but a real top dog.

There is absolutley no need for a goon on this roster. If Montreal is getting physically outplayed or beatup during the season, then address it there, but don't waste a roster spot on this guy right now.

Currently the habs haven't changed their roster at all from last year. In case you weren't watching this team WAS pushed around all year long. They do need a heavy weight, Downey is a fine 4th line RW against alot of teams, against bigger, tougher teams they need a real heavy weight to play that 4th line role. Laraque does not hurt you on the ice and is more than just a goon. I'm not saying overpay just for a goon but if they could get Laraque at a good price, he can split the season with Downey on the 4th line.

I agree with KAOS, if as a team were "getting pushed around" we need to get the guys in the weight room; So the guys can push back. 1 guy (Laraque) ISN'T going to help us.............if he gets into a fight he'll end up in the box; how does this help us? He'll just take up a roster spot; and get 2-3 shifts per game (IF that, and IF the game gets rough).

I think the game today DOESN'T have room for a "full-time" goon; he has to bring something else to the table then his fists....

I agree with KAOS, if as a team were "getting pushed around" we need to get the guys in the weight room; So the guys can push back. 1 guy (Laraque) ISN'T going to help us.............if he gets into a fight he'll end up in the box; how does this help us? He'll just take up a roster spot; and get 2-3 shifts per game (IF that, and IF the game gets rough).

I think the game today DOESN'T have room for a "full-time" goon; he has to bring something else to the table then his fists....

lots of if's going on here. IF the game is rough and Laraque is NOT in the lineup, how can he help the team. 1 guy WILL help if you need toughness. I say Laraque is not needed but I would welcome him for sure. If it's not going to be Laraque, it has to be someone(Downey is NOT the answer for us....as in a Heavyweight)

What the hell do we need a heavyweight for? We take gritty players like Begin, Bouillon and Komisarek who can beat the shit out of opposing players along the boards with big body checks. Fighting isn't going to make us any tougher. If we can intimidate them with big body checks while playing proper hockey then we'll look twice as tough. Or would you rather turn the rest of the team into pussies by teaching them to hide behind one guy!?

lots of if's going on here. IF the game is rough and Laraque is NOT in the lineup, how can he help the team. 1 guy WILL help if you need toughness. I say Laraque is not needed but I would welcome him for sure. If it's not going to be Laraque, it has to be someone(Downey is NOT the answer for us....as in a Heavyweight)

Speaking of "IFS"........... what happens if Laraque is in the lineup, and gets in a fight? What happens for the 5 mins he's in the box? Do we just keep dumping the puck in hoping the other team doesn't "get tough" with us? As I said in my previous post, the days of the true heavyweight IMO are numbered. Any "joe shmuck", who can stand up on skated can be a "goon", with the game getting faster they have to bring more to the table then just their fists.

What the hell do we need a heavyweight for? We take gritty players like Begin, Bouillon and Komisarek who can beat the shit out of opposing players along the boards with big body checks. Fighting isn't going to make us any tougher. If we can intimidate them with big body checks while playing proper hockey then we'll look twice as tough. Or would you rather turn the rest of the team into pussies by teaching them to hide behind one guy!?

This is why I did not mind Bulis. He would go full throttle into his checks and make guys pay. Unfortunately too many times referees called him for some stupid non-penalty that he scaled back the bone crunchers.

George Laraque in Montreal, no thank you.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Hitting and Bulis should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Coughing up puck to avoid being hit is a more like Bulis.

Begin, Murray, Downey, Komisarek and Bouillion are the only guys that can use that word.

Hitting and Bulis should never be mentioned in the same sentence. Coughing up puck to avoid being hit is a more like Bulis.

Begin, Murray, Downey, Komisarek and Bouillion are the only guys that can use that word.

Everyone in the league hits once in a while. A guy like Bulis gets atleast a hit a game (I say this roughly with no stats infront of me) and he sometimes makes very hard checks. People argue that he only hits against vulnerable players which is hard to argue for or against without a video.

I sometimes think that is what is going on with Bulis, Ribs, and possibly Kovy when guys like begin, Murray and Komi are on their guns and just nailing all that moves on the ice.

And I'm not forgetting Bouillon by any means either, for a tiny guy he makes Ribs look like a big twat.

The way I see it, we lost Sunny and Bulis and now we have two open spot. At least one of those will be a checking-line role.

Can anyone on the farm take one of those spots? Maybe Ferland or Lapierre can fight for Sunny's checking-line role. I'm guessing Bulis' spot will go to an offensive player, either a UFA or a Perezhogin/Kostitsyn.

However if neither Ferland nor Lapierre can win one of those two spots, the Habs will find themselves needing a checker. Just someone who can slide in on a 4th or 3rd line if the need is there.

Laraque could do that job, but so could a whole bunch of guys out there. We're basically just talking about a part-time 4th liner here.

If you ask me, I think it'd be time to promote Ferland for good. He's at the point where he'll learn more in the NHL than in the AHL. We can rotate him with Downey, basically just like we did with Sundstrom last year.

Sooo... not really any need for Laraque unless Gainey dont think any of the AHL kids are ready yet or if he prefers to have more muscles. To be honest, it would be cool to finally have a tough guy who can KO anyone in the league.

The way I see it, we lost Sunny and Bulis and now we have two open spot. At least one of those will be a checking-line role.

Can anyone on the farm take one of those spots? Maybe Ferland or Lapierre can fight for Sunny's checking-line role. I'm guessing Bulis' spot will go to an offensive player, either a UFA or a Perezhogin/Kostitsyn.

However if neither Ferland nor Lapierre can win one of those two spots, the Habs will find themselves needing a checker. Just someone who can slide in on a 4th or 3rd line if the need is there.

Laraque could do that job, but so could a whole bunch of guys out there. We're basically just talking about a part-time 4th liner here.

If you ask me, I think it'd be time to promote Ferland for good. He's at the point where he'll learn more in the NHL than in the AHL. We can rotate him with Downey, basically just like we did with Sundstrom last year.

Sooo... not really any need for Laraque unless Gainey dont think any of the AHL kids are ready yet or if he prefers to have more muscles. To be honest, it would be cool to finally have a tough guy who can KO anyone in the league.

I would agree with bringing up Ferland or Lapierre on the 4th line but other then my fantesy of Shanny in a Habs uni, I think Anson Carter would be a great fit on the 2nd line aswell