2006 Summer Ufa Thread

Tony

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad BG didn't sign Mitchell.

$3.5M for him??!!

He is not better then Souray actually not as good and he is worth that kind of cash? :blink:

Yeah, no kidding. Decent 3-4 guy but nowhere near worth 3.5.

--------------------------------

You know what, our defense isn't actually that bad without Blake. If we can pick up a guy like Kuba or McKee (apparently hes gone though) then we should be in good shape.

Skrats-Leopold

Liles-Vaananen

Clark-Brisebois

I'd love a Skrastins/McKee combo. You wouldn't even need a goalie, they'd just block everything.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170211&hubname=nhl

would have liked at least Chara as a habs. Savard would have been nice too. That is fast. Wonder if that's legal to have talked before the deadline.

I've often wondered how there can be so many signings announced on the first day. It's almost like some of 'em are so eager to get outta town they take the first offer that comes across the fax machine.

By the way, if Boston thinks that Zdeno Chara is as good a defenceman as Nicklas Lidstrom, then absolutely nothing has changed in Beantown, and the rest of the Northeast will have a little less to worry about. No way Chara is worth $7 million a year. No Cups and one Norris nomination vs two Cups and four Norris wins, that's not even close.

Maybe some GM's just got scared, once the 1st few big names were signed. Then it was a bidding war, where if you look back on some of the $$ being thrown around, some GM's overpaid for the player they signed.

Reminds me of eBay; no action up until the last hour or so; and then the winner has usually overpaid; and if they looked harder could find the same (comprable) item for cheaper. In this case, once the 1st couple deals wee announced the phone lines lit up!

Wow indeed!

"The Senators also signed defenceman Joe Corvo to a four-year deal worth $10.5 million. "

That doesn't make any sense. They let a marginally less talented guy but similar offensive dman in Pothier walk without an offer.

Gerber's a good goalie -- but that playoff meltdown against the Habs :D

Oh btw, I got the news of Mckee/Drake to Stl hours ago which I then posted...unbelievably I know, Eklund was actually right for once.

LA and Rob Blake - perfect fit. They need defensemen who can actually play defense bad.

Come on Gainey; let's see what you've got! Im waiting on Montreal's big move(s)...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170252&hubname=nhl

Hawks sign Lalime; $700,000 - 1 year.

Not that bad of an idea, could be a good backup at best, AHL guy at worst.

Other News: Mark Parrish signs with Wild. 5yrs, 2.65M per year. This was widely speculated upon, actually a pretty solid move. Not too much dough either. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170253&hubname=nhl

Johan Hedberg to Atlanta, via TSN: 2yrs Undisclosed Amount.

Edited by smon

The Leafs may have overpaid Kubina but that's one hell of a signing considering how badly they need d-men. The Northeast division is getting stronger just as fast as the Northwest is.

Mckee's deal is 4 years, $4M a year. Everyone is getting overpaid. I don't think even 1 player has gotten what he actually deserves yet. I'm glad that Gainey hasn't jumped on these guys.

I think Gigeure landed a good deal for Arnason. 1 year, 950k. He either performs like he can and we get a hell of a deal or he doesn't and we let him walk next season. I like the Arnason signing, he should work out better then Turgeon.

Where the hell is Toronto getting the cap space?

Thats what??? Like $5.75 Millon or so for McCabe. $4.75 Million for Kaberle. $5 Million for Kubina and now

$2 Million for Hal Gill?

Thats like $17 to $18 Million of defensman alone. Plus Sundin must make around $6 Million. Thats $24 Million. And thats only 5 players? What the f*ck?

Thats what??? Like $5.75 Millon or so for McCabe. $4.75 Million for Kaberle. $5 Million for Kubina and now

$2 Million for Hal Gill?

Thats like $17 to $18 Million of defensman alone. Plus Sundin must make around $6 Million. Thats $24 Million. And thats only 5 players? What the f*ck?

For the life of me I cannot figure this out either. Now the Leaf land faithful are talking Arnott as well. I guess sundin will have to play center for all 4 lines and when he has a chance he will play both wing positions for all 4 lines. Betcha he's going to be tired!

Elias re-signed with New Jersey for 42 million over 7 years.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170279&hubname=nhl

$6 MILLION per year! NO THANK YOU :?- :?- :?-

What happened to the new NHL and what happened to the salary cap? Is there any good players on NJ the Habs can go after in trade as no way the Devils are under the cap now.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

$2 Million for Hal Gill?

They're going to be royally screwed over in a few years when all their young guys want raises, but they're stuck with a bunch of overpaid, underachieving bums who they signed for five years.

The Wild seem to be doing the best and I think that they'll be contenders in the West next year.

So far theyve got Karney, Johnsson, Dmitra, Parrish, and others that ive forgotten.... but they'll be better.

:hlogo:

$6 MILLION per year! NO THANK YOU :?- :?- :?-

What happened to the new NHL and what happened to the salary cap? Is there any good players on NJ the Habs can go after in trade as no way the Devils are under the cap now.

Using TSN's figures I calculate that NJ has committed 39 Million for 16 players. But this includes Mogilny and Malokhov who I don't think will be in the NHL next year. Thus NJ has 5 million left for 9 players to fill out their 23 man roster. This means they can pay these 9 guys an average of $550 000 and NJ will be right at the cap.

The above figures do not include their RFA's:

Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Colin White, David Hale and Paul Martin. I presume they made qualifying

offers to all 5 of these guys so they may well be over the cap already.

In answer to your question I.A.F. I don't think we will be getting any players from NJ in a salary dump. We don't really have much cap space nor roster room. We could trade one of our young guys to them but that doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Peter Puck

I just figured out their salary commitments so far. They have 14 players signed for a grand total of $34.50868 million. However, they'll need to move/send to minors one of Tellqvist or Aubin, so that will drop them to 13 players for roughly $34 million.

I just figured out their salary commitments so far. They have 14 players signed for a grand total of $34.50868 million. However, they'll need to move/send to minors one of Tellqvist or Aubin, so that will drop them to 13 players for roughly $34 million.

I figure they have committed 33.7 million for 14 players. They still need to sign the following RFA's (with my etimates):

Nik Antropov (1.3 million)

Andrew Raycroft(1.35 million)

Matt Stajan (1 million)

Kyle Wellwood (750 000).

Also they will probably sign their UFA's:

Jason Allison (1.5 million) (maybe they let him go?)

Eric Lindros(1 million)

Clarke Wilm (500 000).

This totals another 7.4 million giving a total of 41.1 million for 22 players. Thus they even have room for another 2.6 million for Gary Roberts if they want to go right to the limit. Also as DF87 says they will probably get rid of Telquist who is due to receive $589 000.

Edited by Peter Puck

I figure they have committed 33.7 million for 14 players. They still need to sign the following RFA's (with my etimates):

Nik Antropov (1.3 million)

Andrew Raycroft(1.35 million)

Matt Stajan (1 million)

Kyle Wellwood (750 000).

Also they will probably sign their UFA's:

Jason Allison (1.5 million) (maybe they let him go?)

Eric Lindros(1 million)

Clarke Wilm (500 000).

This totals another 7.4 million giving a total of 41.1 million for 22 players. Thus they even have room for another 2.6 million for Gary Roberts if they want to go right to the limit. Also as DF87 says they will probably get rid of Telquist who is due to receive $589 000.

Yeah, mine might have been a little off as I wasn't sure how much exactly of a cap hit the Domi and Belfour buyouts would be.

Boston - Chara, Savard

Toronto - Kubina, Gill

Guess that made their teams better than us again unless our young players will have developed alot during this offseason...

What just happened?

Were all these free agent signings to expensive for Montrea? Not sure how that can be when New Jersey is still able to sign Elias and Toronto has enough room for Kubina and Gill!

Did nobody want to come to Montreal?

Was Bob Gainey too slow?

Is he just working on getting Arnott here?