2006 Summer Ufa Thread

Tony

Call me crazy :wacko: , but I don't recall BG going on a spending spree as his track record shows the same way that the other teams are doing an EA Sports in the way they are handing out contracts like candy to the players (albeit good players) to teams in our division without taking the cap seriously into consideration.

Grant you he is trying to land a player or two of merit that would take us to the next level (Arnott, Elias, etc), but if the cost is too high, we have a nucleaus of young talent that can only get better sooner then later.

Thus ends my measly two cents :lol:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ottawa got Gerber.

I still have no idea how the Leafs just boosted their payroll by 7.1 million dollars yet aren't over the cap. The only explanation is that they're going to have to dump a lot of guys now.

Those two teams aren't suddenly better than us. If we get Arnott then remain better than both. If we don't then we will fight with Boston (Toronto will still suck) for a better playoff position.

Yeah, mine might have been a little off as I wasn't sure how much exactly of a cap hit the Domi and Belfour buyouts would be.

Hmm... I didn't think that buying out Belfour was a hit against the cap. But now I wonder. Maybe my numbers are too low.

as far as I remember the buy out of belfour totaled 1.5, spread over the two years therefore the cap hit is 750K this year and 750K next year.

I haven't been able to find this out. In fact the Leaf's did not buyout Belfour they just didn't exercise their option for the coming year. They will pay him 1.5 million for doing this. Thus I am unsurfe whether this counts against the cap.

I haven't been able to find this out. In fact the Leaf's did not buyout Belfour they just didn't exercise their option for the coming year. They will pay him 1.5 million for doing this. Thus I am unsurfe whether this counts against the cap.

Yes it does count against the cap, its been mentionned everywhere, and the hit is all this year, not over 2 years since this is not a buyout.

No, the Leafs went in with John Ferguson claiming they've got 17 million in cap room. In theory it could be possible considering they've drastically reduced the cap hit from Belfour, Domi, Allison, Lindros and Aki Berg.

If any team needs to dump salary, it's the Devils. How they'll be able to re-sign Gomez and Gionta is beyond me.

But mark my words, the Northeast division is improving quickly. At this point, if the Habs roster doesn't improve, we're looking at a dogfight for the lower playoff spots.

Elias is easily worth 6 million a year.

It's a guy like Matt Cullen getting 3 million or a Willie Mitchell getting 3.5 that puzzles me.

New signings:

D Kim Johnsson to Minnesota - $19.4 million contract/4yrs. A good signing in my opinion. He's as good if not better than Kubina.

D Keith Carney to Minnesota - $4.2million/2yrs. Bad deal, similar to Hal Gill to Toronto. Too slow to be effective.

D Filip Kuba to Tampa Bay - Pavel Kubina's replacement. Comes at a fair price of 3yrs/$9mil.

F Mike Sillinger to the Islanders - 3yrs, undisclosed.

No, the Leafs went in with John Ferguson claiming they've got 17 million in cap room. In theory it could be possible considering they've drastically reduced the cap hit from Belfour, Domi, Allison, Lindros and Aki Berg.

If any team needs to dump salary, it's the Devils. How they'll be able to re-sign Gomez and Gionta is beyond me.

But mark my words, the Northeast division is improving quickly. At this point, if the Habs roster doesn't improve, we're looking at a dogfight for the lower playoff spots.

Arnott signed with the Pred's

For the Preds at 22.5 for 5 years.

This sounds like the kind of deal our team needed.

Its not looking good....and Shanahan and Samsonov might be the only forwards left of ANY

interest for the CH.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170315&hubname=nhl

Tis true.

I don't know, I'll admit I wasn't the biggest Arnott fan, but he would have been a good pickup at the relatively fair price of 4.5mil a year.

Looks increasingly like Gainey's choosing to stand pat.

I'm guessing that we would have offered that much money, but were probably looking to give a shorter deal than 5 years...

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? Is Gainey asleep or something..... COMON!!!!! I thought we were really going to get him!!!

:angry: :hlogo:

I don't know anything to speculate about to be honest. We have no clue if Gainey even made him an offer. Or made Elias one for that matter.

I remain hopeful that Montreal improves somehow. In case anyone forgot, the key asset we were supposed to gain from dumping Theo's ridiculous salary was cap room. Cap room that we were actually supposed to spend on getting better players!

Why would Gainey be second guessed? Maybe he offered similiar deals to Arnott/Elias/etc/etc....

but they decised to go elsewhere; where there isn't as much "pressure" to perform and their not in the "spotlight".

Maybe some of the guys signed are also just looking for a paycheck, and not worrying about playing to win/contend for a cup.......

Unless we were there when Gainey made the various offers, we have no idea what was offered.

Go look at the thread started in Habs talk. Endless whining about how the team hasn't signed anyone.

Then ask me if he's being second guessed.

Maybe he offered contracts, maybe he didn't. I really couldn't care less. I just care if good players are added to the Habs to improve the team.

Just because we haven't signed any FA's doesn't mean we won't be improving the team later on...........................

Can't we still MAKE A TRADE? I know it means losing a roster player or 2 or a couple of guys on the farm; BUT if we can't improve the team via FA we can do it by making a couple deals....

Well, I for one definitely hope the Habs do improve somehow. Trades, signings, whatever.

The other teams in the division are loading up, and for Montreal to be a playoff success we have to improve. It's arrogant and foolhardy to assume otherwise.

I don't know anything to speculate about to be honest. We have no clue if Gainey even made him an offer. Or made Elias one for that matter.

I remain hopeful that Montreal improves somehow. In case anyone forgot, the key asset we were supposed to gain from dumping Theo's ridiculous salary was cap room. Cap room that we were actually supposed to spend on getting better players!

I do not know what BG did or did not offer anyone to come to Montreal. However, I do think giving anyone a long term contract of 4 or 5 years is a gamble that I would not want my team to undertake. I just do not like long term contracts in general. <_<

If Montreal makes the playoffs again it will be PARTLY due to Boston rebuilding and the Leafs just being useless.

I expect the young guns on the team to be better this year. Plekanec, Begin, Higgins, K-Rex to lead the way. all is not lost for the Habs as there is depth with forwards in the organization that needs to be exploited instead of traded.

Every year since the glory years in the 70's I have cheered the Habs on and again this year it will be:

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

It's not like the other NE teams have signed everyone: the Bruins got Savard/Chara, but they still lack decent depth there. The Sens got Gerber, no big deal, and lost Chara. The Sabres have done nothing except lose a player or two. The Leafs got Kubina, a decent dman, and Hal Gill, a slow defensive dman.

Boy, teams other than the Habs sign a couple of players and I can almost hear rumblings of "#1 pick overall next year". It's like this during every offseason for the Habs, you'd think people would be used to it by now. The Habs haven't been big free agent spenders, regardless of who has been GM.