2006 Summer Ufa Thread

Tony

Man Theo's trade was suppose to give us Cap Space to make a splash this summer ...

But 4.5 millions / year for 5 years is really too much ...

Man the Owners / GMs haven't learned a thing from the Lock Out.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I do think giving anyone a long term contract of 4 or 5 years is a gamble that I would not want my team to undertake. I just do not like long term contracts in general. <_<

Dito ... a 5 year contract for a 31 year old UFA player like Arnott - no thanks!

It seems like Gainey doesn't want to hand out those long term contracts too.

Ok, this is ridiculous! Just because we didn't land Arnott and Elias, and Boston and Toronto picked up a few D men, doesn't mean we're not going to make the playoffs!

Like common! The team is still great! Last season was amazing and montreal was 1 goal away from most likely beating the stanly cup champs, who they themselves said the habs were top contenders.

Don't forget the youth movement! We've got rooks like Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Komi, Kostityn x2, Latendress, Murray, Chipchura etc...

With koivu and kovalev playing a full year, zednick having a better seaon, space opening up for rookies, we shouldn't underestimate the team.

In a way, its good that we got rid of players, and didn't sign anyone as of yet to give the rookies more breathing room, and the team capitans to give them leadership.

I am still as excited as ever to see this team play.

Ok, this is ridiculous! Just because we didn't land Arnott and Elias, and Boston and Toronto picked up a few D men, doesn't mean we're not going to make the playoffs!

I am still as excited as ever to see this team play.

I like your attitude. The Last playoff spot is Montreal's for the taking(Along with Atlanta and many more), however I wanted the Habs to be good enough to challenge the Devils, Senators, Flyers for a higher spot. If Montreal could finish 5th overall I would be pleased!

Well, we won't know until next year.. you can't predict everything at the start of the seaon.

I remember when colorado picked up Selanne and Kariya, everyone said to give them the cup now, then the same happened with Ottawa last year.

Haha, suckers. Atleast WE got Tyler Arnason.

:unsure:

Oh...and I didn't see it but the Lightining signed Filip Kuba. 9 mil for 3 years. Overpaid again.

Our d-man options are running out though. Goooooo Salei!

That's the thing...I think most people here want Montreal to be a good playoff team, not just a team that squeaks into the 8th or 7th spot..

You hit the nail on the head....as of right now, teams we have to play many times have improved while the Habs have just held the line. Very disappointing.

I'm just hoping that BG can swing a trade that makes us better.

Montreal hasn't really gotten any better, but they haven't gotten worse either.

I to was hoping for the much needed offensive upgrade this season. And hey, who knows, it may still happen with Shanny or trade. But there are other storylines, though much less interesting, to follow...

Who knows how the prospects and rooks of last season will fare this year? Will Perez bust out of his apparent shell like he appeared to be doing in the playoffs? Can Higgins and Plekanec stare off the sophomore jinx like Ryder did? Hey, will Ryder score 35 times this season? Is Huet a one year wonder or will he be the steady presence the Habs missed last year?

Tons of variables on the way....it's just that none are fun to answer while Boston signs a behemoth d man, and Nashville signs our saving grace from Ribs.

*le sigh*

The Florida Panthers have signed Ruslan Salei to a four-year deal worth $12.1M.

Now that is the type of deal I was hoping Mr. Gainey would make. grrrr...

Oh well, at least I know the names of the guys on the Habs that were causing me so much Cardiac problems last season. :P

there was a compensation clause in belfour's buyout, that is what counts against the cap.

Frankly, I am absolutely shocked at all the long term deals for older players. I really couldnt countenance 5 yrs for Arnott, etc..

The Domi buyout counts against the cap, but they declined Belfour's option, so that shouldn't.

Yes the Belfour contract counts against the cap. $1.5 Million over two years. So thats $750,000 they are going to pay against the cap for buying out Belfour. It most certainly does count.