2006 Summer Ufa Thread

Tony

Wow, I thought it'd take the Canucks longer then that to unload Cloutier. Poor Kings.

Told you Nonis was a good GM! :P

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One deal doesn't make a good GM. His crappy Luongo deal and letting Jovo (and possibly Carter) go negates it. Vancouver should be just as mediocre as us next season.

The Luongo deal wasn't too bad. They upgrade to a superstar in net and still have Mika Noronen as a more than capable back-up. They lost a good d-man in Allen but Krajicek is a legit and young top 4 guy who will help them out. Then they dump Todd Bertuzzi who had to go. Losing him was a big step in the organization. He needed a change of scenery and wasn't producing anyway, not to mention thta he's a so-called cancer in the dressing room.

Then he did a good job on draft day, fulfilling his teams needs and picking the flashy, high-potential Michael Grabner of Austria.

Anson Carter wasn't the reason to the Sedins' success. It was the breaking out of the Sedins that gave Carter his first good season in a long time. The Canucks don't have the cap space to overpay and should just let him walk and replace him with cheaper top 6 forwards. If they can get him back for max 2.5M then go for it but if not... Back to the point - the Sedins are similar to Koivu - 1B forwards.

Then on the trade deadline he did everything his team needed by acquiring a goalie and several defencemen including Willie Mitchell (who is back), Eric Weinrich (I believe he's back too) and Keith Carney. He did this without losing any starting players.

I'm not 100% sure if Nonis was GM back in the 05 draft but if he was then selecting Bourdon was a terrific choice.

Losing Jovo was inevitable as he was rightfully not willing to match Phoenix's huge offer. Jovonovski didn't really want to return anyway. They replaced him with Willie Mitchell who isn't as good, but is less of a defensive liability and comes much cheaper.

So yeah, Nonis is a good GM who looks at what his team needs and then goes out and gets it. I do agree that I'm not sure Vancouver will make the playoffs this season though. That all the depends on the cheap replacements Nonis chooses to fill out his D and top 2 forward lines and how well they produce.

Watch the Sedins if they don't get Carter, I guarantee last year was a career year for them and will be their career year. Luongo is back in the exact same situation he had in Florida. All-star goalie with a mediocre defense and a half-assed group of forwards.

The Sedins didn't break out, they got a decent linemate. Obviously he didn't do what his team needed at the deadline because they choked and lost their playoff spot. Carney and Weinrich did jack all for them. He took an apparent Stanley Cup contender and fiddled with it until they missed the playoffs. So no, at this point, Nonis isn't a good GM. He's not a bad one either but after one season, you can't call him a great GM expecially when a team underachieves as immensely as the Canucks did.

As for being a GM who sees what his team needs and then goes and gets it.....isn't that the point of being a GM? How can you praise a guy for doing exactly what his job description is?

Watch the Sedins if they don't get Carter, I guarantee last year was a career year for them and will be their career year. Luongo is back in the exact same situation he had in Florida. All-star goalie with a mediocre defense and a half-assed group of forwards.

The Sedins didn't break out, they got a decent linemate. Obviously he didn't do what his team needed at the deadline because they choked and lost their playoff spot. Carney and Weinrich did jack all for them. He took an apparent Stanley Cup contender and fiddled with it until they missed the playoffs. So no, at this point, Nonis isn't a good GM. He's not a bad one either but after one season, you can't call him a great GM expecially when a team underachieves as immensely as the Canucks did.

As for being a GM who sees what his team needs and then goes and gets it.....isn't that the point of being a GM? How can you praise a guy for doing exactly what his job description is?

Carter's been crap without the Sedins and the Sedins have been mediocre until last season when Carter joined them. The jury is still out on who helped who but I'm sticking by the theory that the Sedins broke out. They crafted many masterpiece goals together last year.

The team didn't make the playoffs, but Nonis can't control that. He filled the wholes the team had. Imagine how bad they would have done had they went down the stretch with only 3-4 defencemen? And Weinrich only underperformed because he was being overused. The Nucks had to count on him as a top 4 guy when he shouldn't have been getting that many minutes. It also had to do with Edmonton being the team they had to knock out. The Oilers have more than proved that they were simply the better team, no matter what Nonis had pulled.

Actually, not every GM goes and gets what his team needs. A GM that does his job is a good GM just like a player who does his job is a good player. There are bad GMs who make trades and signings for no reason and then there are guys who get ripped off. Nonis is neither of that type. He also does well in the draft which is big. I'm not saying he's spectacular or anything but he deserves more credit than you give him.

You can't say he does well in the draft when hes only done two, both within 1 year. You can't actually evaulate a draft properly until ATLEAST 5 years after. You can't call any selection from the 2006 draft a good one or bad one because they haven't even had time to develop.

He can't get any credit until he proves something to me. He's had one season where his team underperformed immensely. You have to give him more time. It's like getting your report card at school one week into the school year.

Spector is reporting that Phoenix have signed George Laraque. Now I don't want to hear people complaining that we missed the boat on him. For the last couple weeks people have been saying they don't want him and he's overpaid, so don't complain now please. I think this is a good thing, now we can focus on someone with talent....maybe one big name instead of a couple fringe players

Halpern just signed with the Stars for $2million a season for 4 years, not too expensive.

Calgary just signed Jeff Frieson to a 1 year deal worth 1.6 mil.-also a good investment.

Jaraslav Spacek has just signed a multi-year deal with the Sabers.

These are 3 good additions to any team, Calgary are looking to be tough this year, and noone likes to see Buffalo bolster their D. hmmmm, I am beginning to wonder what BG is doing, however I must add I haven't lost faith yet, maybe he is trying to pull the big one.............. ^_^

Well... you can still kind of tell... had they taken Roman Volantenko 13th overall, then yes it was a bad pick. Alos his team badly needed a prospect with 1st line potential. Grabner has just that. He filled his team needs again. For example, Florida vhose Michal Frolik, when they needed defence more than offence and pretty much didn't really need Frolik. They found the potential too good to pass on. No, this isn't a bad pick but no, Keenan didn't fill his teams needs either. Nonis filled his needs without going off the board. You can't say he did a bad job.

I guess we can only get back on this in a year or more once Nonis has done more moves.

Yeah, you need to give a GM an insane amount of time before you can judge him, especially a rookie one.

It's like all the people jumping the gun and calling Gigeure the worst GM ever. Stupid fans.

Nonis has done an amazing job so far. He actually has done 3 drafts and so far he has selected some guys who are actually looking pretty decent compared to Burke who drafted crap regularly. Nonis has drafted Cory Schneider, Luc Bourdon, Michael Grabner, Alexander Edler, Daniel Rahimi, Jannik Hansen and Mason Raymond. Those are the promising guys out of the group so far and it's probably the deepest group we've had sadly but still looks good.

As for last season, Nonis gave Burke's group 1 more chance and they group failed even though he made some trades. With Crow here, Noronen was never going to get a chance. Carney did pretty well as did Brown but Weinrich was crap. Really, the season was lost to injuries. Salo hurt for the entire stretch, Ohlund and Allen playing hurt and Jovo coming back with 4-5 games left in the season. Naslund and Morrison played pretty much the entire season with groin/hip injuries and Cooke same thing(borken job and sprained ankle or w.e). He was out almost all season basically. Of course Cloutier was injured and we stuck Auld with WAY to many games(crow's fault). Bad luck. Bert wasn't a cancer though.

With the moves so far, Nonis looks very good and he is certainly not done. Very possible for another blockbuster coming(Naslund could be gone). We are in a tight spot but we'll be fine as we do have the rookies coming up. Nonis does know what he's doing and he will make this team competitive as possible mark my words.

With Bryan Allen signing a 1 year deal in Florida, don't be surprised if he returns to the Canucks the following season. Thought I'd state that. B)

But yea, our D isn't bad for this point in time, Jets. Just inexperienced. Luc Bourdon and Lukas Krajicek with guys like Mitchell, Ohlund and Salo with Bieksa and Nonis is looking to add another guy. As for up front, the Sedins HAVE gotten better with every passing season and Carter fit the bill with what they needed. Jason King is healthy again so don't be surprised to see him back with them. They might try Schultz or Balej this time though.

We shall see.

But yea, our D isn't bad for this point in time, Jets. Just inexperienced. Luc Bourdon and Lukas Krajicek with guys like Mitchell, Ohlund and Salo with Bieksa and Nonis is looking to add another guy.

I don't think Vancouver will be signing too many more guys with only about $8.5 Million to play with under the cap.

I don't think Vancouver will be signing too many more guys with only about $8.5 Million to play with under the cap.

:rolleyes:

A guy like a veteran who has experience. Like a #5-6 maybe 7ish. A veteran type who'll come cheap. The thing many people don't seem to realize is we also have guys like Tommi Santala, Brandon Reid and co signed as well for the bottom two lines. I don't think we need it but I ain't even sure if Nonis is going to move anyone to free up any space. He IS going to trade for a winger(maybe d-man) and he'll get what he needs. Linden, if he does come back, will be in the 600k-700k range. We also have guys like Moran, Schultz, Balej, King, Brown and a few possibilities like Hansen to surprise in camp.

Another thing is, Nonis has also stated that he prefers the trade route over UFA. We're fine and Nonis will do what he has to do and this team WILL be competitive. I'm not worried at all. Where did I say btw, that we were going to sign many more guys?

Some signings

Edmonton inks spacek replacement - Daniel Tjarqnvist

Wild sign Branko Radivojevic

Bruins sign Mark Mowers (are they out of the shanny sweepstakes?! LOL!)

Canes sign Trevor Letowski

Hawks sign underachiever Denis Arkhipov